A Portugal Game

Fresol

Angry Halfling in Green
Not a Story & Tale or Strategy thread, this is just a thread where I post screenshots and comments of a Portugal Regent/Normal 600 AD game I'm currently playing. Hopefully you can enjoy the game as much as I do and that I can finish the game without problem. The mod version is SVN 966.

Dawn of the Portuguese. Looks like an explorer and an archer flipped to me, which suggests Spain already has Compass.

Everything seems fine. In fact, this is one of the more preferable starts where Spain doesn't have Guilds or Engineering yet. It'll be harder to play if they are pumping out knights or building Notre Dame already when you spawn.

Lisbon is settled in place. The surrounding tiles have been carefully improved. Thank you Spain and Moor!

Now our workers can travel north and explorer east. Archer and settler get on the galley and aim for Ireland. (Yes, Ireland.)

Meanwhile we are switching to Fanaticism + Warrior Code. Fanaticism is to ensure only Catholicism spreads to our cities, and I just don't like Levy Armies at the moment.

To reach Ireland we need OB with Spain. (And it's part of the UHV goals.) Gift them 10 gold and they will agree to open border with us. And let's check their tech status.

Levy armies are awesome. Especially with cities that are high in food, such as Portugal. That's a lot quicker military building, + less unit maintenance.

OB with England. I didn't notice where their unit was but I have contact with them at the start of the game. Most likely they'll just sit on their island and not do much the whole game.

They have settled Newcastle, which means I won't be able to steal the fish in Belfast.

Levy armies are awesome. Especially with cities that are high in food, such as Portugal. That's a lot quicker military building, + less unit maintenance.

True, but I'm afraid it will hinder city growth. I use whip to deal with the excess food.

Interesting. I need invest in whipping because of the happiness, and the stability and economic hit reducing your population takes. I'd be interested in seeing someone compare the two, or outlining situations when to use it or when not to.

Let's check our UHV goals. Yes, I guess we are going after Historical Victory.

14 OBs are actually quite easy, on Regent difficulty we don't have diplomatic penalties. The only requirement is to reach the other civs quickly. In most Portuguese games where no explorer is available at start, I prefer to train one after getting Compass. Workers are better saved for building improvements, not exploration.

12 TC resources. Well, by 1650, Brazil can provide 2 spices, 2 bananas and 1 tobacco. Congo has 1 banana 1 coffee. There's 3 sugar in east and south Africa. Funchal has 1 sugar. That's 11 already. There's 1 spice and 1 tobacco in the Caribbeans, and 2 coffee near Aksum. Oh and 1 spices in Colombo. These 16 are preferable targets. There are more in India, Sana'a, Indonesia Mesoamerica, China and Madagascar.

15 cities in Brazil, Africa and Asia. Just make sure you have enough settlers standing by.

Guys, I'm posting while at work, so expect slow progress. I don't have much time to play the game when I get back home either, but I promise to finish the game and report the best I could.

Explorer meets the French. They are pretty backwards at the moment, but they'll catch up, even with only 3 cities. After gifting 10 gold to them, they agrees to OB.

Galley going north.

Checking the Moors out. They won't OB with us.

Meeting the Germans. OB.

Explorer meets the Poles. OB. They have some interesting techs, but it's still too early, we can't trade techs yet.

Byzantium. Our reliable Compass provider. Open Border.

So if I post a story it is excommunicated in S&T, but this is ok. I feel underprivileged right now.

Trade for Compass the next turn.

Meanwhile razing and resettling Ireland.

For Portugal, razing and resettling is way more superior than taking these low-pop, undeveloped cities. (Not considering the stability hit.) Each settler brings hundreds of hammers' worth of buildings, a privilege the ancient civs do not enjoy.

I forgot to mention Spain just declared on Moor. It's earlier than the scripted war in 1210 AD.

So if I post a story it is excommunicated in S&T, but this is ok. I feel underprivileged right now.

Yours is a story. Mine is more like a journal, and not well-written. So don't feel bad about it.

Meeting the Vikings and Arabs in... Ukraine.

Open Border with them both. Will the unexpected OB with Arabia speed up our 1st historical goal?

The Russians! They are friendly enough to OB with us after a little bribe.

Spain took Cordoba. Scary. I hope to maintain a friendly relation with them, otherwise the game would have a premature end.

Didn't mention Italy spawned this game. I don't always see them in game, but it's good to have them. Another OB.

Bad news and bad news. Arabia collapsed, and Catholicism hasn't spreaded to Coimbra (well, Belfast) yet. Without the extra hammers from Catholic buildings, Coimbra is not going anywhere. Fortunately our workers from Lisbon have been working diligently on improving the tiles. The sheep provides 2:health:, besides its nice bonus.

Inquisition against Portugal... fails. The Catholic world still loves me. (At least half of them do.)

The Khan. OB after paying a 10 gold tribute.

After some years of quiet development. We received a quest from our harbormasters. Sounds easy.

The year 1310 AD is to be remembered. It is in this year the people of Portugal learned to appreciate art.

And introduced to the country the famous Norse literature.

Speaking of the Harbormaster quest, which reward do you suggest me to take? There are three options: 1. combat I for all naval units; 2. +1:gold: for all harbors; 3. navigation I for all naval units. Option 2 and 3 both sound good to me, and I regret promoting my first carracks to combat I too prematurely.

Top Bottom