TSG111 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG111 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your UU?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order?
- Did enjoy playing Babylon?

Your name: MrKiraga
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1886AD
Turns played: 313
Base score: 1280
Final score: 2064
Time played: 2:51:00

This game went pretty well, even though it was a post 300 turn win. The main problem was Korea who went ham on science and he got most of the world to follow order with it as world ideology. I shouldn't have made him the leader of the world congress. I also shouldn't have made friends with China who also went freedom, because she got owned and that made everyone mad at me. Despite of that I only had an early war with Assyria and a lot of CS allies. The reason for the delayed victory was because I needed to focus on the world fair and international games or I would have died of unhappiness.
Maybe a 4th city would have been a good idea as well.

My empire at the end
Spoiler :

Demographics
Spoiler :

- Did you use your UU?
Early against the barbarians, but i had to get composite bowmen and marksmen because of Assyria.

I used them on CS, but I should have used one on my capitol, because a lot of techs got stolen.

I didn't really see a place for a 4th city, but i have wont with 3 and less cities before. The coastal environment helped with food.

Pretty standard immortal game.

Got a strong faith for my cities but it didn't spread. Tithe and pagodas helped alot and I bought 2 GS and 1 GE with faith late game.

Tradition>Rationalism>Freedom

Nessy is always fun to play :D My favorite civ behind Inca and maybe Korea.

Kinda disappointed, to be honest. I was hoping for a ~225 victory and made a lot of decisions based on that that ended up backfiring. Started hoarding gold/taking out loans too early, stopped doing Research Agreements too early, deleted Workers too early, bulbed too early because I thought I would be hammer constrained and needed to start building Hubble... Just overestimated my closing speed.

I built five cities. Social policies were Tradition opener --> full Liberty --> Aristocracy, then standard Rationalism/Freedom/Commerce stuff. I got super greedy in the early game and decided to use my Liberty finisher to GE Hanging Gardens + get an alliance with a cultural CS that wanted me to build it, rather than waiting two turns and using the GE for my National College. Slowed down the NC by ~15 turns. I'm almost certain that was wrong. Wonder greed... Planting an Academy might have been better, too.

Religion was Sun God + Tithe + Divine Inspiration + Swords to Plowshares + Religious Texts. Those choices I do feel pretty good about. I was confident that I could get a religion later with Hagia Sophia, so I didn't mind passing up Earth Mother faith.

Kind of a weird map. Lots of space to expand into, but good settling spots were mostly a long way from the capital. Also very few unique luxes. A less-wide empire would need to either leave a lot of empty space or compromise and take weaker locations closer in. I'm interested in seeing how people handled it.

I definitely didn't settle the capital in the best spot (right under the Deer to the left seems better), but I'm not sure if my settling decision was a mistake. I saw that I could get Deer + one more Salt by moving, but I also was hoping to settle more coastal cities for trade routes, and I figured I could pick those tiles up with another city if there was literally anything else up there. Turned out there wasn't, and the tiles went to waste. It might have been a bad gamble, but it was at least a gamble with thought behind it.

Attachments

• Baby-Lon.jpg
    Baby-Lon.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 386
Game: Civ5 GOTM 111
Date submitted: 2015-06-03 13:59:04
Reference number: 32826
Your name: Monthar
Game date: 1854AD
Turns played: 297
Base score: 1388
Final score: 2352
Time played: 6:03:00
Submitted save: TSG111_Science_Victory.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C511101.Civ5Save

I was doing very well until Assyria and Korea decided to gang up on me cancelling 2 RAs. If they hadn't DoW'd until the RAs finished I probably would have finished the game 20 turns sooner.

- Did you use your UU?
Some in the first 30 Turns during early war with Asyria and for Barbs

Yes. In capital my spy killed a bunch of enemy spies.
Yes. CS coups

Helped in meeting civs early (Pangea) in order to develop DOF's. Also like Manpanzee mentioned, a lot of room to settle. Kept a couple units by Assyria early to ensure they didn't forward settle on me. First settler was placed far east near Morocco.

Not really a factor

No. Finished Rationalism too late in game to buy GS with faith.

Full Trad.
Full Rationalism
Patronage to Cultural Diplomacy
Freedom to get Space Procurements

- Did enjoy playing Babylon
Yes!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 4.19.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 4.19.16 PM.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 220
Well, they killed me straight to death at turn 298. It was mostly Assyria but of the four civilizations still standing, three got in on the kicking of my butt. I had managed to stay at least competitive with them in terms of science; a few had built Apollo Program and I was almost ready to do the same.

- Did you use your UU?
The walls and bowmen were helpful against barbarians.

I stole a few technologies. I also tried to get some city-states on my side but it didn't do much.

The terrain may have given Ashurbanipal pause, but once he had like a dozen artillery it didn't matter. I had one city next to a mountain and I'm sure the resulting observatory helped my research slightly.

I think I played pretty much the same as if it were Settler, except that I wasn't expecting to win.

Nope!

I did all of Tradition then one of... uh, the one I can't remember the name of, the one that makes my ships go faster... then most of Rationalism before it was time for an ideology. This is where I screwed myself. I saw that one civilization had taken Autocracy and two had Order, so if I chose Freedom I would get two free policies. I knew that would give me some unhappiness but I figured I could handle it. Wrong! My people were so unhappy about their newfound freedom that I may as well have been Daenerys Targaryen. Despite all my attempts to keep it yellow it just kept getting worse, especially after everyone and their city-states declared war on me. Soon one of my cities abandoned me and my freedom for Ashurbanipal and his autocracy. Naturally I was no match for my invaders.

Yeah, it was nice.

Screwed up the beginning really badly. Forgot to research calendar before finishing GL so the free tech went into drama&poetry instead of philosophy. That delayed NC to turn 80. After that I didnt' manage to plan my 4th settler because of barbs for 20 turns or so. Since then it was pretty straightforward, was friend with the whole map for the rest of the game. Would've finished much earlier if I went freedom, but I just wanted to try order for a change. Not much of an action but still an enjoyable game. Thanks admins :)

Game date: 1924AD
Turns played: 344
Base score: 1261
Final score: 1854

turn 342 about to screw it but did it, on turn 339 korea had 5 pieces and i only 4

- Did you use your UU?

had to buy 2 for barbs

yes, had to use them to pass religion and avoid world fair, didnt pass science funding though

i don't really like pangea but it helped finding everyone before rennaissance, i had to settle earlier than i usually do, on turn 50something on the truffle camp, cos i feared assur could settle there, i settled my 3rd city on the gold mine to my right next to the CS about modern era i think, maybe later

not much at the beggining but trying to reach i missed red fort (before i tried) and eiffell (got the money) i settled my 3rd city way to late,and since korea settled passed monaco i didnn'd really know were to settle a 4th city, i didn't have enough money till information, so i counldnt accomplish my challenge of making research agreements, and i couldn't do any i could complete hubble, sidney and the com tower, i also passed and completetd the international space station

not much :( only could buy one GS

had great luck with ruins: culture, pop, 100 gold, camps revealing, mining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that was the most important) then pop again (realli helpfull since it was my 5th citzen who helped me keep 2 salt, 2 wheat and my academy

those great ruins allowed me to open tradition really early, then opened liberty, got my citzen, +1 production, settler, +15% towards wonders, finished liberty and prolonged my golden age just in time, and got a GE that helped me get alhambra on my 2nd city, i ued my pissa GE to build the theater there too, maybe i should have used to GS instead and forget about those two wonders, i got patronage just before renaissence

oppenned research it would have been later without the theater though, got 3 policies, then got 3 freedom tennets, food, +25 GP and the -unhappiness + golden age one, finished research, got 2 more tennets for new deal, got the missing 4 tradition policies,

yes, i used to play it months ago, but i allways played quick pace, so its been weird not beeing able to complete wonders in time i allways got to the technology i needed earlier than i could start building the wonder

build order was monument-shrine-grannary-GL-NC-HG (got my setler from policies so i had to stop it for national epic, finished HG, oracle, sophia

i got my pantheon god of the kings extremly late (turn 37?¿? i had 25 faith at the moment, could anyone get it earlier?) +15 growth, got +15 production later

2 cargo ships, bought workshop with gold, lighthouse, notre damme, national forge, 2 more cargo ships (barbs) pissa, forbiden city (managed to be allways host till the end), sixtine... and then i think i messed it up, i beelined radio from architecture i don't recall what i missed but i'm sure i didnt get a good building order,

furthermore i disregarded micromanaging on my second city so it grew really slowly and it took me 30 turns to build the mill there, pop stayed at 9 during those 30 turns

4 GE poped out that i used for christ and sidney(second city) too late liberty statue and hubble

i really wished i had played different than i usually do, but i allways like to get some specific things done :/

Your name: Olodune
Game date: 1635AD
Turns played: 237

This was my first game trying the Freedom SV approach, and I mistimed a few things:

- Social policies were done at 199. Looking good here! (Tradition, Rationalism, Freedom 6, and Commerce 3).
- Production done (Apollo and pre-built Hubble) and all necessary gold collected at 217. Nice!
- Oh dear, I'm short of Great Scientists, which I definitely used too liberally. I should have pushed religion at least enough to get one GS that way. Two preferably. :blush:

I'll chalk this one up to the learning curve.

Couple pics:

Spoiler :

Solid opening:

Ashurbanipal caused a medium sized headache with this DoW. He'd end up costing me 500g in unit upgrades; two pillaged trade routes; and a delayed University purchase. That uni purchase is really painful as I'd it lined up so Oxford could finish in time to grab Radio. Now things are awkward.

t150, getting back on track

Victory. Slow compared to what is possible here. If I'd replayed from my 150 situation I'm certain I can get sub 222.

Game date: 1838AD
Turns played: 289
Base score: 1269
Final score: 2226

- Did you use your UU?
I built one Bowman, and my scout was upgraded to a Bowman. They were useful for defending against early Barbs.

Only for counter-espionage and city-state coups

My religion wasn't too helpful, as I quickly progressed into the modern era causing my pagodas to cost 1,000 faith, so I never bothered purchasing them. I used faith to spread my religion a little and then to buy a GE to pop my last Spaceship part.

Full Tradition, patronage opener, rationalism opener and right side, 6 order, finish rationalism, 2 left-hand side of patronage, commerce opener.

Can't deny their effectiveness!

Some screesn:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Date submitted: 2015-06-06 22:16:49
Reference number: 32846
Your name: Huston
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1908AD
Turns played: 328
Base score: 1211
Final score: 1211
Time played: 6:55:00
Submitted save: Nebuchadnezzar II_0328 AD-1908.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Huston_C511101.Civ5Save

:sad: Lost by one part.... okay three techs and Russia had three SS Boosters built before I had my first part completed. Russia dominated the game. Taking China, Siam and Morocco and took Korea's capital a couple turn before the end. Didn't know how to deal with a run away AI.

- Did you use your UU?

Against barbs for a little bit.

Stole a lot from Assyria

Russia began to dominate the map. So it hindered it to the point of losing. They had taken China, Siam, Morocco, and at the end they had just took Korea capital. Portugal was not attack by Russia, but they lost their Solomon's mines to chine who then lost it to Russia.

Not sure it it did. The only immortal game I won was the Korean GOTM science victory. Actually this was the second one I played till completion. Mostly I get distracted by life and decide to start a new game next time I load up the game, no matter the difficulty.

Needed happiness, most were gone aside from Mosques... surprisingly.

Filled up Tradition, took some patronage until I got to Renaissance, and the filled up Rationalism until I got my ideology. Went freedom, should have went order, had to battle happiness from the rest of the game.

Always enjoy Babylon.

Spoiler :

Date submitted: 2015-06-07 12:27:48
Reference number: 32849
Your name: Sempronius
Game date: 1933AD
Turns played: 353
Base score: 1058
Final score: 1058
Time played: 61:12:00
Submitted save: Nebuchadnezzar II_0354 AD-1934.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Sempronius_C511101.Civ5Save

I lost to Korea. It started out fairly well and I caught up in science to everyone but Korean by the Industrial age. I managed to get the first religion and took pagodas to help with happiness. I was able to build the GL, PT and Hubble along with Big Ben and a few other wonders. I only had one fight, and that was when Russia attacked with 6 frigates, and I then took 3 of their cities (which probably slowed me down in hindsight). I had the SS Cockpit finished and the 3 boosters under construction when Korea launched.

Built 4 cities, capital in place and 2 to the East on mountains and one to the West on the coast. Took Tradition and opened Commerce since Rationalism wasn't open yet, then took 3 Rational before getting into Order.

Date submitted: 2015-06-09 06:58:30
Reference number: 32858
Your name: Hephaistos
Game date: 1965AD
Turns played: 385
Base score: 1455
Final score: 1889
Time played: 6:51:00
Submitted save: TSG111_End.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Hephaistos_C511101.Civ5Save

This was my first GOTM game ever and I enjoyed it a lot. I don't optimise my game play by counting out beakers, points or turns so that means I'm a bit slower maybe.

- Did you use your UU?
Not really, killed a few barbs.

Stole two or so techs but later was ahead and used them to prevent theft mostly.

I liked the bottlenecks that occured in the middle of the map because of the mountain ranges.

Used to playing Emperor so first time Immortal here and had the feeling it was more of a King game. :)

Founded one but never really used it much.

Liberty full, two commerce while waiting for Rationalism and finally order.

It was okay.

Your name: Acken
Game date: 1470AD
Turns played: 207
Base score: 1577
Final score: 3846

Finished this on turn 207. Pretty satisfied with this liberty 7 cities attempt. Strong map with lot of salts and easy CS allies. Everybody was friendly. Only Ashurbanipal became guarded midgame so I sent him fetch a bone and he became happy after some turns.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

- Did you use your UU?
A bit like archer
Level up and coups
pangea is always easier
Immortal is a cakewalk. RA are very average, lot of available wonders.
2 GS
6 Liberty 2 Commerce 5 Rationalism 2 Freedom 3 Commerce 5 Freedom 6 Rationalism 6 Freedom
n/a

Nice played Acken!
You are truely a good civ 5 player. Very good in very differnet aspects and strategies :)!

Acken, I noticed you went with Liberty instead of Tradition, as in your Freedom SV guide. Did you plan out 7 cities to begin with which lead to going with Liberty, or is there some modification to your Freedom guide that could be of help?

My fredom guide instructions are independent of your empire size (approximately). It was even designed with tradition in mind.

The main difference wold be that it is difficult to buy all science buildings in 7 cities. So bulbing plastics and scientific method is a good idea to start building them early.

Date submitted: 2015-06-15 13:55:28
Reference number: 32884
Your name: Beto_java
Game date: 1936AD
Turns played: 356
Base score: 1560
Final score: 2197
Time played: 6:51:00
Submitted save: Vitória_Nabuco_0356 AD-1936.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Beto_java_C511101.Civ5Save

Your name: Kendon
Game date: 1932AD
Turns played: 352
Base score: 2564
Final score: 2564
Time played: 25:48:00

Spying: Russia was 11 turns away from winning, building the SS Engine in Novgorod on the coast, which Babylon knew thanks to spies in the three largest Russian cities. The Babylonian plan was to complete Nuclear Fission in two turns, buy an atomic bomb (one turn), use a carrier to get it across the ocean in four turns, then drop the bomb on the SS Engine as it left Novgorod.

The problem, as many of you probably noticed, is that a built SS part unlike a bought part doesn't spend one turn in its city before it moves. It moves the moment it's built. Science Victory Russia.

Difficulty: After I submitted my GoM defeat I went back to the last saved turn, replayed to where the engine was almost ready and dropped the atomic bomb. To my surprise the SS engine within the city was destroyed. Ten turns later, after bulbing three Great Scientists, I had my own science victory--not for submission, I hasten to add--but better than I've ever done before on Immortal.

Map: Since my capital was too far away to attack, Russia dropped two atomic bombs on one of my distant puppets, used death robots to destroy a third of my army and then, in a snit, started building the East India Company in Novgorod.

Russia could have won 28 turns earlier but after building the Stasis Chamber it shifted to conquering all the cities in China. Still, AI quirks are part of the strategy in every GoM.

UU: Bowmen didn't matter but stronger Walls of Babylon made me more willing to fight. I did better this time by attacking my neighbours as soon as my military advisor saw a weakness. Even so it was slow. Marrakech, the first, was taken on turn 159. After turn 222 when I attacked Assyria everyone else declared war on me though only Korea sent an army against me. Next time everyone attacks I won't be so quick to panic.

Great Scientists become much more valuable at the end. I got 5800 hammers on turn 312 (Satellites) but more than 12,000 (Particle Physics) on turn 361. I save as many as I can, but not to the point that my military falls hopelessly behind.

I did enjoy playing Babylon. The Babylonian science advantage lets a lower-level player hang in against a more aggressive, and trickier, AI.

Top Bottom