TSG112 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG112 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Describe your opening strategy choices. How did the terrain/neighbors affect this?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- How did Polynesia's UA affect scouting choices?
- Did you found a religion? If so, what belief choices were made?
- Did you have any wars in the first 100 turns?

Settled on the Cattle. Now I regret it :rolleyes: The logic was that I wanted the growth and, possibly, more land tiles. In retrospect SIP is better.

Got a Religion early and went for a Tradition opener since I want the GPT for CS alliances later.

Edu 109. That is alright since I settled in low growth locations -> I thought I could run Cargos in the lake to the NE. Should have thought about that more carefully. The cities are still fine.

Now the big question: is this a one or two vote game? Rush or delay Printing Press?

I've been lurking for a while, but decided to buy the DLC on the steam sale so I can join in. I have learned a lot from lurking, and hope it will pay off eventually. Anyways.

My Plan for first 100 turns:
Settle mountain tile, build scout, settler, shrine, granary, worker, setller, great library, nat college, other stuff. Finish tradition, Begin Piety for reformation belief. Tech my luxuries, then education. Stay out of wars at all cost, kill barbs for city states, stay happy and out of the red, grow grow grow.

What actually happened:
Settled a mountain, a national wonder, another mountain, and another coast for a cargo ship to the capital. Settled final city on coast after turn 100, so no cargo ship yet. Capital is miserably small thanks to pop and failed great library attempt. Succeeded with oracle on turn 111 to finally finish tradition. Finished national college on Turn 90. Happiness bounced from 0-1 throughout, same with the gold although i managed to keep some saved for the dead spell. Worst military, and very lucky no one came after me yet. Need to fix that quick. I might be able to turn this around, and hopefully get all the city states to vote me world leader by turn 250 if I am lucky. I think the pros could do this by pre-200 though teching straight through to globalization and using loans to buy out the city states for the entire game.

Attachments

• Turn 111 Empire.jpg
    Turn 111 Empire.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 396
  • Turn 111 Demographics.jpg
    Turn 111 Demographics.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 277
I've been lurking for a while, but decided to buy the DLC on the steam sale so I can join in. I have learned a lot from lurking, and hope it will pay off eventually.
Welcome to CivFanatics and GoTM. :wavey:

Learning is one of our top objectives. Glad it is working for you. Best of luck in your game and in future games. :thumbsup:

Alright, here it is.

Some of the old Deity habits die kind of hard so I still managed to steal a pair of workers, and provoked some anger by forward settling.

The plan is to use Sacred Sites reformation belief while going ICS to try and steal a win. Happiness has been good so far but even if it doesn't, religion will keep rolling.

Seeing a pair of natural wonders around pretty much shaped up the entire religion game: Pantheon +4 faith from NW, founder +100 gold per city (VERY strong on a map like this, as you can see, the snowballing is already taking effect), and Pagodas. I spawned my second prophet just now and I hope Mosques are still around

Attachments

• aloha.jpg
    aloha.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 370
Alright, here it is.

Some of the old Deity habits die kind of hard so I still managed to steal a pair of workers, and provoked some anger by forward settling.

The plan is to use Sacred Sites reformation belief while going ICS to try and steal a win. Happiness has been good so far but even if it doesn't, religion will keep rolling.

interesting approach to a diplo VC. im curious how it will work out.

I'm planning on snagging Charitable Missions once I get through most of Piety. I'm then going straight for some patronage, a little commerce, and then deciding if I want to go Autocracy or Freedom once I hit radio. Gunboats vs. spies and Trade routes? Its a hard decision...

ah crap ... didn't see it was supposed to be a diplo thing

i either wanted to give you a clue about the VC or genuinely see how an ICS empire would buy up a vote. i was trying to figure out how tourism could benefit it but struggled. i was thinking you could maybe more easily influence AI for votes if they also had your blue jeans but that was about it. anyway, hope you could recover.

cheers
HR

ah crap ... didn't see it was supposed to be a diplo thing
The designated VC is Diplo, but you can play for any VC you wish. If you are having a good game, please play to your desired VC. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

I'm a bit rusty it seems. I just finished NC at T103, settling my 4th city next turn. Had about 4 turns of unhappiness after settling my third city and had to use Monarchy instead of Landed Elite to get out of it earlier(Cotton Plantation was still 5 turns from finishing). Got beat to TOA(was planning to buy my Library Honolulu if I got it) so I built my lib and and start HG before NC. Hopes up that I catch the Hanging Gardens now.

Settled Second city by Uluru and got a religion. God of Open Sky, Tithe and Pagodas.

BO: Scout-Scout-Granery-Settler(pop3)-workboat-worker-archer-settler(pop5)-worker-caravan*2-ToA(beat)-Library-HG-NC-HG

TO: Pottery-Animal Husbandry-Sailing-Archery-Calendar-Trapping-Wheel-Mining-Writing-Masonry-Mathematics-Philosophy-Bronze Working-Construction(to 1t left)-Currency-Guilds

Spoiler Images from various turns up to t103 :

After finding Uluru, I decided to use a religion approach to secure the CS votes. As it was King difficulty, I figured the best way to expedite the win was to destroy all but one AI civ. After surveying the map and meeting all of the civs and CS, I determined that the Arabs, and their very inaccessible capitol, would be the remaining AI civ.

I opened Piety for a quick religion and to secure the Papal Primacy, Holy Order and Charitable Mission beliefs. I then opened Patronage to slow the CS influence decay and open up Forbidden Palace.

Being able to just swim right at the start made surveying the map a snap. Also made getting rescued workers back to my cities much easier.

I founded the first religion. At turn 101, I have the only Reformation belief, and only myself and Brazil have added enhancer beliefs. I have One with Nature, Papal Primacy, Swords into Plowshares, Religious Community and Holy Order.

There have been no wars thus far. The Iroquois have six cities, and I've gotten three war alliance requests against them. Germany has gone Honor, so I expect them to start a war soon.

My tech has been slow, as I've gone negative gold a couple times due to the lack of AI civ gold to buy my resources the first 70 turns. Now that the AI civs have trade running, I've been able to stabilize my economy. I have three cities up and I'm about to create my CB army to secure the first set of kills.

first a question, really.... isn't this map smaller than it ought to be? :p damm i'm close to everyone in the game

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm left it yesterday on turn 150

i'm not sure at all how i'm doing

i settled by the mountain and, for once i've decided to profit easy difficulty level to change my strategy, i planned when i saw berlin, urullu and fuji, but it could have turned wrong (or wronger, it isn't over yet)

i've only found 2 ruins, +1 pop (great) and a really late camps revelaing one (they defenetly shoud take this one out, theres no profit whatsoever from it, i think is the non MP game where i've picked less ruins ever

my usual initial strategy is: monument-shrine (buy scout when possible)- grannary (if i can build at least half of it before GL rush) GL - NC - HG - National epic - found 2nd city (from liberty policy) then HS, i found my third and usually last city on coal once hermitage and every other national wonder is built

but... this time i've done it differently, i wanted to have early (at least earlier) cities, knowning i'd had the time for the early wonders i need for my strategy

so its been- full grannary, although that mean not rushing GL, GL (a late one, but still ok) and then i researched drama instead of beelining maths NC- NE (while i got my free setler) - found my 2nd city (around turn 80), coastal next to berlin, on the jungle tile (i sent the settler there cos i didn't want germany taking the spot, i was lucky enough to buy the wine tile) my settler was on the spot earlier but i wanted to complete NE frist

i built 2 settlers and 2 fishing boats for luxuries, and then i miraculously got some unexpected alliances with CS that helped me settling (i wasn't thinking about the happinnes i needed, so, GREAT LUCK) , 3 coastal close tu fuji and 4th coastal by ulluru (that was around turn 90 same turn i finished HG )

and then... germany attaked! turn 90, i was expecting, i settled on their face and had a poor army, 2 settlers exploring (by that turn i had met every civ and almost every CS) 1 warrior, 1 archer i built for 2 close camps and another one i built after grannary on my second city fearing germany would attack)

and its been the most horribe AI attack i've ever seen, they had around 5 boats, 4 archers, a trebuchet and what it looked like a trillion warriors, and... they couldn't do it,

i stopped sophia for a horseman that was eventually killed after getting rid of 4 units) and the trun right after... they propossed peace!!!!! i guess it's because of the diff level but i wasn't expecting 2 luxuries and +2gp/turn...

then finished sophia - university - work shop - notre damme (i was going to try chichenitza just then but they finished it on the same turn i did nd) tried oracle but failed when i had about a 40%, so i used the money to buy 2 tiles for fuji, finished machu pichu, lighthouse, i saw a lost worker so i built a scout to grab him and

i founded WC 10 turns ago, and propossed science found which i don't need, but i'm not sure if i can pass religion yet, nor SF but irokese and germans are both for it and i wan't to please them to avoid war

and thats where i'm at, about to start pissa that i will surely get, and use the GE for FP

but i'm really late at everything, haven't found the time to build cargo ships for internal routes yet (and thata was the reason i wanted 4 coastal cities so) capital is 12 pop and i think the other 3 cities are all 6, haven't got workshop and university in all my cities yet and in some of the will take 20-30 turns till i do(and my capital is the only one with a monument) haven't built guilds yet in my second city, and i'm 99 % sure i won't have the time for alhambra nor globe theater, i hope i'll get sxtine at least

i didnt see many woods to chop, so i chopped the camps and i now think that has been a terribe mistake

Turn 100, I feel like this will be an easy game.

Settled on the hill next to mountain, scout, monument, half of a granary, decided to worker instead, rest of granary, beelined calendar, got Stonehenge and Mausoleum of Halicarnassus. Then I picked up God of the Open Sky and holy cow (HA!) does it make this map amazing. So many pasture resources on this map just NE of the capital. Founded a religion with Papal Primacy (It's a diplo victory after all) and Mosques.

Settled second city on the hill next to the cattle on the NE lake (Iroquois built their second on the north part of the lake otherwise I would have settled between the cattle and deer. Settled my third city north of the Sugar next to the Deer to the east and really hoping Milan doesn't absorb Uluru since my third city is just in range of it. Thinking my fourth and final will be directly across the water near the Wine and Whales, though Germany may throw a fit or take the wine before I get there.

Overall I think this is in the bag.

The designated VC is Diplo, but you can play for any VC you wish. If you are having a good game, please play to your desired VC. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I may not have kept the save though (I always forget to save and rely on autosaves to do the work for me and then I overwrite and it's lost)

Top Bottom