HOF Civ5 Update Discussion

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator

The Civilization V Hall of Fame has been updated. 61 games were accepted since the previous update.

Congratulations to keg for the highest Firaxis score of the update with a Warlord, Domination, Quick, Duel, Great Plains, Denmark (Harald) [BNW] game for 6016 points.

vadalaz was the most active player during this update, submitting 8 games.

Only 4 players were brave enough to take on Deity this update:
Babinski - 1440 AD, Turn 204, 2787 points, Deity, Science, Standard, Standard, Pangaea, Poland (Casimir III) [BNW]
NiceOneEmlyn - 735 AD, Turn 447, 2541 points, Deity, Domination, Marathon, Huge, Tiny Islands, America (Washington) [BNW]
NiceOneEmlyn - 400 AD, Turn 390, 3523 points, Deity, Domination, Marathon, Huge, Tiny Islands, Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II) [BNW]
raidandtrade - 1949 AD, Turn 369, 1635 points, Deity, Science, Standard, Standard, Continents, France (Napoleon) [BNW]
zenmaster - 1640 AD, Turn 238, 2495 points, Deity, Science, Standard, Standard, Fractal, Poland (Casimir III) [BNW]

Gauntlet Results:
G-Minor CII - Domination, Warlord, Standard, Large Islands, Standard, Shoshone (Pocatello) (check options)
1st vadalaz - 250 BC T-105
2nd zenmaster - 175 BC T-108
3rd Bleidraner - 25 BC T-114

** New Gauntlets Starting **
G-Minor CIII - Culture, Emperor, Standard, Boreal, Standard, Spain (Isabella) (check options)

A number of players earned Gold Medals this update:

Fastest Finish (Date):
vadalaz - 1160 AD, Turn 176, 3400 points, Chieftain, Diplomacy, Standard, Standard, Terra, Siam (Ramkhamhaeng) [BNW]
zenmaster - 1600 AD, Turn 150, 2937 points, Chieftain, Science, Quick, Huge, Continents, Korea (Sejong) [BNW]
Babinski - 1440 AD, Turn 204, 2787 points, Deity, Science, Standard, Standard, Pangaea, Poland (Casimir III) [BNW]
vadalaz - 520 AD, Turn 136, 2444 points, Emperor, Culture, Standard, Standard, Small Continents, Japan (Oda Nobunaga) [BNW]
vadalaz - 1480 AD, Turn 138, 3768 points, King, Science, Quick, Standard, Shuffle, Spain (Isabella) [BNW]
zenmaster - 1735 AD, Turn 257, 2719 points, Prince, Science, Standard, Standard, Tilted Axis, France (Napoleon) [BNW]
vadalaz - 250 BC, Turn 105, 1342 points, Warlord, Domination, Standard, Standard, Large Islands, Shoshone (Pocatello) [BNW]
vadalaz - 600 BC, Turn 60, 1644 points, Warlord, Culture, Quick, Duel, Pangaea, Brazil (Pedro II) [BNW]

Score:
keg - 3552 points, 2009 AD, Turn 289, Chieftain, Science, Quick, Huge, Continents, Korea (Sejong) [BNW]
vadalaz - 3768 points, 1480 AD, Turn 138, King, Science, Quick, Standard, Shuffle, Spain (Isabella) [BNW]
zenmaster - 2719 points, 1735 AD, Turn 257, Prince, Science, Standard, Standard, Tilted Axis, France (Napoleon) [BNW]
chuckh89 - 1909 points, 1010 AD, Turn 161, Warlord, Domination, Standard, Standard, Large Islands, Shoshone (Pocatello) [BNW]

A few comments on my games which I found interesting:

Turn 176, 3400 points, Chieftain, Diplomacy, Standard, Standard, Terra, Siam (Ramkhamhaeng)

In this game I went for a wide Liberty empire, which worked well for the most part, but I didn't have any coastal cities. This turned out to be a big problem, because I didn't manage to find all the CSs in time. I tried to salvage the situation and sent a diplomat to Attila's capital... and actually managed to make him vote for me. He *hated* me the whole game ever since I stole his worker, the only green modifier I had on him was from gifting him the cities I took from others. Won the game with exactly 40 votes.

What's really odd is that I tried to replicate this in another game, Portugal/Tiny/Archipelago, but this time I was actually best friends with Attila. I had several bright green modifiers with him, and in total they were worth more than liberating an AI capital, which is usually enough to get an AI to vote for you. However, this time it was impossible to bribe him. Not even for 3 cities, 180gpt and all my gold and luxuries. Out of curiosity I tried to bribe him to vote for Ahmad whom he'd been at war with, and that DID work. Attila only wanted a couple of luxuries for that. I'm not sure what his deal is. He seems to be willing to vote for those he hates. I think he's insane.

Turn 138, 3768 points, King, Science, Quick, Standard, Shuffle, Spain (Isabella)

Not a very interesting game, just a really crazy start:
Spoiler :
El Dorado and Mt Kili for 1500 gold and huge early culture per turn. This was my 3rd roll... Also, settlers only cost 370 gold on Quick.
Some other things didn't go well in the early game though, so only a T138 finish, though I'm pretty sure could've been sub-130, or much closer to that at least. AIs built all the early wonders a lot quicker than they would on Standard speed (GL turn 30, ToA turn 36, HG turn 46, what is this, Immortal?), and barbs were a huge pain. Oh, and I lost LToP by 1 turn. Never delaying it again on King and above, too risky.

Turn 60, 1644 points, Warlord, Culture, Quick, Duel, Pangaea, Brazil (Pedro II)

The top results in this table were using Sacred Sites, but I wanted to see if Liberty was competitive here as Brazil. Parthenon + 2 great works of writing + Carnival = 12 tourism per turn for a short time, more with a caravan. If you add a 67 tourism musician bomb and a Piety opponent, this becomes a bit faster than SS. I think I could've won 1-2 turns sooner but I miscalculated the total tourism I'd have after the GM bomb. Fun little game.

Nice games, vadalaz. thanks for the writeups!

I was going to quiz you on that crazy Spain game. You had 4 cities up in like the first 15 turns or so. That was an awesome Shuffle!

Atilla is insane. I think they gave him Bizarro behavior. I'm glad Siam was able to take advantage of his dementia to salvage a great game. Going all inland cities on a Terra map was a bold move that worked!

Sent from my SM-G9200 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom