Barbarian Lands

Hey. So I played your mod during a modded Civ game I put together on a large Pangea plus map with ten civilizations. I have to say that your mod turns the barbarians from a mild pest into THE GREATEST THREAT TO ALL OF CIVILZATION! ...In a good way. I personally didn't have much of a problem with them because as a human being I am capable of making rational decisions that have a logic to them. The A.I.s got destroyed though. Most civilizations never settled more then one city or they ended up never growing their cities and improving tiles. No A.I. Tried to build a wonder and ancient and classical wonders were still untouched by the Renaissance era. The A.I. simply cannot handle the improved barbarians. Not sure if that should be considered good or bad. Overall though I love the mod. All of a sudden instead of barbarians being savages they turn into an evil empire that leaves civilizations as burning carcasses. Good job. It is about time someone made this mode.

Did you play with any other mods active?

I do play with a few, and they might help the AI survive a little better. I just tried my mod with the Community Patch Project and I have never seen a more effective Barbarian extermination squad, ever. The Barbarians were slaughtered quickly and efficiently, even raging barbarians.

So I started playing a few games with this mod on and I have to say that I really like it! It adds a layer of depth to the game that was missing before, in a common enemy for all civs to ban together against!

Do you mind posting a direct download link as well? I was thinking of taking a try at making a compatibility mod between Barbarian Lands and JFD's "The Germans" who's unique ability is that they are at Peace with, and can create more, Barbarians. I tried playing one game with them and the main problem was that there's no open borders/ability for Arminius of the Germans to work together with this great new Barbarian empire.

I posted this in steam also, but I'll put it here as well.

Both your conan.dds and your conan.xml files - you should set import to VFS=true

Your leader code is correclty pointing to conan.xml, and conan.xml is coded correctly. conan.dds looks right, so that's the only thing I can think of VFS should be set to true.

Saw it in steam, thanks. I'd already done that (I must have read a dozen tutorials on leaderheads). The problem seems to come down to the fact that leaderheads of non-major civilizations simply aren't loaded.

If you look through the lua file you can see that I hook pregame to change the leader value. This (finally) allowed me to use a trait on Barbs that didn't also apply to City States - I tried changing the leader in lua, but the trait simply wouldn't stick. You can muck around with that code and change the leader to LEADER_ATTILA, but the screen STILL comes up blank (unless Atilla is actually in the game as a major civ -- note: need to test this to be certain). There's nothing wrong with Atilla or his leaderhead. My theory is the game doesn't load any leader scene it doesn't have to, and city states/barbs fall into the "don't have to" bucket.

I was playing with the CBP dll and met a city state on turn 0. To my unending surprise a grey leader screen showed up, and they were listed as "Brute of City State". I took a screencap.

As further proof if you use FireTuner to reassign your seat, your former civilization's leaderhead is blank. Why? Cause the game doesn't need to load the leaderhead of a human player, so it didn't.

Octo: be my guest, but the mod is changing so rapidly that I haven't posted a direct download because it would be out of date within 24 hours. I think it could be done - force open borders between JFD's Germans and Barbarians.

Note that the way the city capture is currently coded, if you are anywhere near the Barbarians when they try to cap a city, it will fail, because the presence of ANY other civ is seen as a hinderance. You'd have to change Barbarian Lands to quietly overlook JFD's German civ, but this is entirely doable. I believe my code is pretty well commented. Hell, i'll do it myself when I get the chance, but my wife is currently very pissed off at me for burning 2 nights trying to track down the crash bug, and wants me off the computer...

I didn't realize that the Barbarians will fail if another civ is nearby. I might just make one that, at the very least, lets the Germans walk through Barbarian lands. I'm particularly curious to see what would happen if I gifted one of the special Germanic Barbarians to the Barbarians. That said, as they say, "Happy wife, happy life." Did the crash end up being the Faith thing?

Hell, i'll do it myself when I get the chance, but my wife is currently very pissed off at me for burning 2 nights trying to track down the crash bug, and wants me off the computer...

:lol: Been there, done that. Gotta take it slow, when every fiber of your being is wanting to get the mod fixed haha, its a delicate balance...

I didn't realize that the Barbarians will fail if another civ is nearby. I might just make one that, at the very least, lets the Germans walk through Barbarian lands. I'm particularly curious to see what would happen if I gifted one of the special Germanic Barbarians to the Barbarians. That said, as they say, "Happy wife, happy life." Did the crash end up being the Faith thing?

Yes it was the faith thing.

I don't think my wife is super happy with me right now...

I've been keeping a lid on it on the Workshop but I'll spill the beans here: an upcoming release will feature a PLAYABLE Barbarian major civilization. The major plays alongside what I call the "minor" Barbarian civilization (id 63), is on the same team as them - so they shares techs, map, territory, etc. no need for a peace treaty. When a AI Barbarian drops a settler or worker into a camp, the Barbarian major civ gets the resulting city, which is now founded at the Encampment linearly furthest away from all capitals combined (generally undiscovered/unexplored places). On earth style maps this would be somewhere in Australia, usually. On Tilted Axis... you can imagine. When the AI Barbarian faux "captures" a city, the major takes ownership. The Barbarian major is locked into permanent war with all civilizations and all city states.

You (as a human) HAVE to add the Barbarian major civilization to the game, either as yourself or add them in an AI game slot. If the Barbarian major isn't in the game the AI Barbarians have nobody to hand their cities/captives to, so they don't capture cities and just kill all captives. In essence, they become a nastier version of what they already are.

But if the Barbarian major civ is in the game it solves dozens of problems at once. They have a city list. The leader screen started working immediately. They can found a religion (but won't), research properly (but won't), accumulate culture (though many policies are useless, as they have no capital city - I really should zero culture too). They can't lose to domination. In my first test I didn't restrict their science so they snowballed like hell on earth - i've since fixed that. But I've seen Barbarian Great Generals and Great Admirals (the latter from that Exploration policy). But the most unexpected part has to be the beginning of the game.

The Barbarian major civ - which again, is playable - doesn't start with *any* units. Both the Settler and Warrior are overriden in delivered game files. So, the load screen opens to white clouds. You're an observer, watching the AI Barbarians do their thing. Camps appear. Brutes go all over. Eventually they cap a worker or settler, and you get your first city, and THEN you join the game.

It's awesome.

I have to code a few additional mechanics in such as what to do if someone decides to 1v1 the Barbarians. Normally they capture workers and stuff but if there's just a human in the game, its obviously going to be near impossible. Also, human players can pull some evil tricks in advanced setup like turn off Barbarians and effectively play against nobody. I also think I need to give the Barbarian civ some approach biases.

A playable Barbarian civ is like an entirely new game mode. 1v1 duel map vs Deity Barbarians on Tilted Axis.

Does this actually belong in mod components, or mod packs? I posted it here because it was.. maybe still is... relatively small.

Once the major barb civ has spawned, what can it do? What can it build, if it can't research?

It can build all the standard units. In previous versions it was inheriting whatever techs the minor Barbs acquired by virtue of being on the same team (63). Unfortunately, it appears you can't win the game if your team is not a major civ (< 22).

So I moved the minor Barbarian civ onto the same team as the Major Barbarian civ (previously this was reversed). Now the Barbarians can win games (usually through domination) but the minor civ stopped "gaining" techs so they stagnated. So i've added a new feature - you gain the technological requirement of the units you kill. So you'll always be technologically behind, but "catch up" when a unit is fielded against you and you kill it. Conceptually it works like this: a bunch of Brutes kill a Spearman, pick up the spears, and start poking things. The legend of "Spearmen" spreads through the Barbarian Lands.

I've still got to put more controls around it because it's pretty overpowered at the moment (e.g. make it a "chance" or a counter, rather than 100% off the first kill, and/or make it only capable of learning one tech at a time so if you kill something that requires Bronze Working you learn Mining from the first kill and Bronze Working from the second).

Note: if the Barbarian Major civ isn't in the game, the Barbarians act like normal, and inherit technology that 75% of civs know. They won't capture or found cities since they have nobody to give them to. (I could give them to the minor Barbarians but then you run into the leader scene issue again. There's also a spy issue apparently, when you hit the Renaissance it crashes.)

Hmm this gave me an idea. What if when unit A kills unit B, A became B-type.. and every time B kills something you master a technology leading up to B?. So you have to "kill" enemy units then keep the resulting "capture" alive long enough to "learn" from it.

I'm sorry for bothering, but as I can't check it right now(I'm on an extremely old computer, I'm afraid ^^), is this mod compatible with Community Balance Patch?

I'm sorry for bothering, but as I can't check it right now(I'm on an extremely old computer, I'm afraid ^^), is this mod compatible with Community Balance Patch?

I have been trying Barbarian Lands [BL] with CP, CBP, etc. It is working without crashes. Haven't looked in depth to see if there are any balance issues. I turned off barbarian healing in CBP though because the barbarians were healing 20 HP per turn / 10 from CBP and 10 from BL.

The only mod that seems to be causing problems is Barbarian Immersion. You have to turn off several features to get Barbarian Immersion to work with CBP. With every feature off though, I keep getting crashes with both barbarian mods running.

I haven't tried Barbarian Lands with Barbarian Immersion and no CBP.

Does playing with Barb. Unlimited XP, Barb. Spawn Increase, More Luxuries, Caravansary Trade Routes, under Raging Barbarians screw up your mod ?

I'm running these mods playing as : Washington, huge archipelago, King; and so far, in 125 turns, only 2 Barbie triremes have visited (and died) my island . During this, 3 AI capitals have gone down, and my island has yet to see any Barbie landings ! Yes, Conan is a player in the game, but seems to be busy elsewhere .

It shouldn't. I made as few changes as possible to Barbarians themselves to make it as broadly compatible as possible. The Barbarian civilization has most of the changes I used to have applied to the Barbarians.

So the unlimited exp, spawn increase should both be fine. I have heard of crashing with DLL mods though.

Can't wait to play against the Barbarians as the Aztecs . . . or the Celts using the Pictish Warriors :)

Top Bottom