The Deity Challenge Line-up #35 - Siam OCC

consentient

Domination!
This map is posted a little early, and is for those people who want a 3rd map each month. There is now a thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.

Rules:

- New games will be posted every 10 days.
- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.
- When posting about your victory, please begin the post with the turn number and Victory Condition in bold letters - e.g. "T247 DiploV" (this is so the person who updates the spreadsheet can see it more easily)

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

- - -

DCL Game #35
You: Siam
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Pangaea

Extra Settings: One City Challenge,
Spoiler :
Hot, Wet, Legendary Start

Difficulty:
Spoiler :
Medium

Starting Location:

Spoiler :

Quick combat and movement are on (turn them off if you like)

Game Version - 1.0.3.279
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Spain and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Past Games

Spoiler :
Super Easy

Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangaea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval

Easy

Game #03 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #05 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #06 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #08 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Fractal
Game #34 30/06/15 Egypt Europe

Medium

Game #01 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #07 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangaea
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangaea
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangaea
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #32 10/06/15 England Continents
Game #33 20/06/15 Songhai Pangaea

Hard

Game #02 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #04 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #09 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea
Game #31 31/05/15 Ottomans Fractal

Super Hard

Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangaea

- - -

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you want to share a map please send Acken a private message.

Please note that maps you wish to share MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs from your computer.

siam OCC. Damn.. I guess patronage will be much needed to harvest the UA's full potential. Also, OCC means no conquest right ? Are we alllowed to conquest then raze\sell ?

Also, why in hell is the egypt map classified as easy lol.

move south to mountain, start claiming tiles all around, focus on Maritime and Cultural city states and hope Songhai aren't near. Win :)

I tried this. Attempted ToA, HG, and Petra, but only got HG. Got DF, but overall fpt isn't too hot. Got Sistine, but missed every other cultural wonder that mattered (Louvre's still there though, wondering whether to get it or not). Is kind of confused since I picked Patronage but went through the tech tree as if CV, and an early detour in astronomy. I figured I would have enough culture to tear through those SPs because Siam, but I wasn't lucky with CS quests (swimming in goddamn happy faces though). Trade routes got delayed too because everything's just too far away. PT got stolen by a hair's breath. Keep forgetting those spies waiting to coup. Too much fooling around. Not sure whether I want to continue or redo at this point.

Inb4 Austria, Venice, Mongolia, Sweden, etc. etc.

To me, only Greece are a pain. Austria are generally always weak, Enrico is a pushover, Genghis tends to spread too thinly and ends up empty and I've never seen an AI Sweden use their UA well

I'm really curious to see the Siam UA in action. I have played around with the Civ of Ramkhamtrollface but it was a while ago

T120ish

Spoiler :
There WAS a lot of space around me to start with, but the ICS spammers have filled it pretty much all up!

Ok this should be interesting,

My first OOC game and first Siam game.

Turn 76 now just finished building Petra. Also have Hanging Gardens.

Petra was a bit of a gamble. I saw
Spoiler :
Morocco
building it so I declared war on them even though I only had 2 units and a couple scouts. It must have forced the AI to change it's building code because about 10 turns later they built the Great Wall :)
So I think I must have just taken it from under there nose!

Now turn 84 this can't be a good omen

Spoiler :

Thanks for the easy/medium/hard sort!

move south to mountain

I second that. Desert hill on river next to mountain. Perfect!

Hard build monument and amphitheater for free Wat on education.

EDIT: Scratch that, I am going open Piety and cross my finger the map is not too tough. OCC nerfs Tradition and Piety. Honor and Piety are unaffected I guess, but OCC Honor does not sound like much fun to me.

Question - What is the best of these 3 beliefs for your 1 city

1) Swords into Ploughshares (+15% growth when at peace)
2) Religious Art (+5 culture and +5 tourism from Hermitage)
3)Divine Inspiration (+2 faith per World Wonder)

Right now I'm just in medieval era. I have 3 Wonders right now.

1 is my go to pick when all buildings have been picked, it would probably work even better in OCC

Okay, I have not played OCC before. Neighbors have two cities. Does OCC not effect AI? Or they still get starting settler, but no more?

yeah, it's only for you. AI can have as many cities as they want.

I once experimented with a 8 Venice no city states game, and it was hilariously broken :lol:

1 is my go to pick when all buildings have been picked, it would probably work even better in OCC

Hmmm although to be honest I think 1 is risky on this map. With
Spoiler :
Assyria, Greece, Morocco and Germany
not far away you can't guarantee how long you'll be at peace for.

T318 SV
Started off well, finished not so well. Halfway through the game, I didn't even consider the possibility of the game going beyond T300, but I just sank deeper and deeper. Still, a T318 win isn't terrible by my standards, so I'm satisfied with the result and my first OCC game.

Spoiler :
I settled on the Desert Hill one hex south of the starting position, as I suspect many others did. Got off to an incredible start with ruins - culture, population, archer upgrade, Masonry, Calendar, two faith ruins... and that's not including a map that revealed two ruins. I started with Archery to go for ToA and the tech ruins vindicated my decision. Got ToA up at T30 and contemplated beelining for Petra but decided to go towards Philosophy instead.

Got DF as my Pantheon and got the 3rd religion. Picked Tithe and Swords into Plowshares, enhanced with Religious Community and Defender of the Faith. Pretty good for a OCC, and I had no complaints. Built some basic buildings, then got NC up at T76 and managed to go straight from Tradition to Rationalism thanks to Oxford. From there, it was a cookie-cutter beeline to Scientific Theory, Plastics and Satellites.

Boudicca settled her second city in a ridiculous location on a bunch of hills with no fresh water or luxuries directly on my borders, half a continent away from her capital... She eventually declared war on me, attacking with Pictish Warriors and Archers against my Infantry and Gatling Guns. Needless to say, she was never a factor in the game. I managed to stay friends with Ahmad, Alex and Hiawatha for the entire game, despite choosing a different ideology than Alex and Hiawatha. I don't think I've ever had a game where Alex was such a good ally - his CS competitiveness kept Bismarck away from a DV and his willingness to go to war kept Ashurbanipal contained when it became clear he was a huge military and scientific threat. Bismarck almost ran away with the game though - He had 34 World Leader votes and I only beat him by 1 SS part. I really ran out of steam in the last 100 turns and it was a nervous wait for the last RA to kick in on Particle Physics for me to be able to buy the last part. I couldn't even faith buy GS to help burn through the last techs because my religion got wiped out by trade route pressure.

I pretty much ignored CS in the game, but seeing as it's a Siam OCC, I'm thinking I should have at least given that part of the game some attention.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 370
Lost cap, T91. Very silly since I had plenty of units (over the cap even).
Spoiler :
Had three archers taking pot-shots on Marrakech. Ashurbanipal walked larger army over, I had no warning since I did not have any units in all that space in-between. Usually he tips his hand by asking the player to DoW someone with him. I will reload back 10 turns and pull a couple archers back. I only had one garrisoned and it was not enough. I have been working the top of the tech tree, so archers and not CBs.

Top Bottom