TSG115 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG115 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your UU?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order?
- Did enjoy being a Viking?

Turn 242 domination victory

- Did you use your UU?
I did use one berserker as THE melee unit for capturing cities. More I used UA that allows you to get embarked movement on land which is quite useful.

Got about 5 techs, that kept me advanced enough (I wasn't teching much) to get me frigates.

It was a very tricky map, I actually did conquer Dido's Capital last as I didn't want to travel through her tricky land to her capital.

I needed one more archer and couple of frigates.

I got quite bad religion (Desert Folkkore, Tithe, Shrine happines, Production from followers and just war) but it did help me to build and buy many Frigates.

Honor right, Honor full, Commerce right, Commerce full, exploration opener for the movement (got Great Lighthouse from London which was helpful)

Indeed

Well... I lost. Science for Korea. But Russia were right on their track.
I managed to conquer Attila and Dido. I could get Polynesia, but, as Korea was on the same continent, I thought I should get them first. However, my military was too far behind them.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 115
Date submitted: 2015-08-13 18:00:40
Reference number: 33104
Your name: guslaet
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1925AD
Turns played: 345
Base score: 1605
Final score: 1605
Time played: 11:24:00

Turn 218 Domination Victory

- Did you use your UU?
No, Iron was for my frigates
However the free pillage was nice !

Not really, got me some techs I did not really need

Interesting map. I went straight for sailing hoping to have an early cargoship but could not settle my second city in range of my capital.
I settled my second city near Victoria lake and get the horses to build 4 chariots. And got beaten by a few turns by Dido to settle my 3rd city and the west coast near the spices. So it went on the coast north of my second city and put Dido first on my kill list.

I also liked the North by North west canal at the top North of the map that allowed for a quick trip for my frigate fleet from Jakarta to Moscow.

When I quickly met 3 other scouts on my small continent, I knew I had to go for an early war, which is quite easy on Immortal when going liberty. So after poorly choosing Sailing, I went for the wheel, got 4 chariots and a pair of archers and went to war. While my army was taking Dido's expos then Notthingham I finished my NC and pretty much beelined for Compass (took construction at some point to upgrade my archers into CB). While waiting for my first galleas, my land army went for London then Seoul because Seijong was first in tech, Busan, York (to remove England). Finally moved to Carthago to meet with my new galleas fleet :)
Dido went down quickly, then I sailed to Honolulu and it went down quickly with my galleas. I reached Navigation at that point and upgraded my galleas into mighty frigates while my coastal cities were pumping frigates out (I went exploration after finishing liberty and built a dummy city in the desert to get 8 extra irons). Then it was a blood bath, Polynesia did not stand a chance and was wiped out. I bribed Catherine into attacking Morocco and sailed toward Marrakesh (tech leader) but Russia and Indonesia DoWed me on the way, so I sailed to Jakarta instead. He had some frigates but could not resist my growing frigate fleet (the AI is really lame at war...). I took Jakarta, left a few upgraded frigates to defend it and sail this nice north by north west canal at the top north of the map (razed a couple of cities on the way) to reach Moscow where a couple of frigates were harassing Moscow.
Moscow went down quickly and I made peace with Indonesia and Russia. It was time for the final assault with 3 fleets from Jakarta, Moscow and my continent converging to Marrakesh. I had something like 14 frigates plus privateers and caravels at that point and on turn 218 I was totally dominating the world :)

nope, did'nt even bother to build a shrine

Full liberty for early war then exploration to boost my ships and my frigate production

Just finished to watch season 3 of the show a few weeks earlier :)
I sent many and more good men into Valhalla

Date submitted: 2015-08-15 10:24:43
Reference number: 33109
Your name: beto_java
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1984AD
Turns played: 404
Base score: 1287
Final score: 1287
Time played: 7:52:00
Submitted save: final_Bluetooth_0404 AD-1984.Civ5Save
Renamed file: beto_java_C511501.Civ5Save

What an intense game, it started well but I was at the border of defeat a couple of times! It started pretty well, although in hindsight my locations of city 2&3 were not very good (near the natural wonder and south of that). Could conquer the capitals of England and Korea pretty soon with catapults & Berserks, but probably built up my navy too slow. Not long after Korea Dido declared war, so she was next. Due to lack of navy I had to attack her over land, which was difficult due to terrain. It took two wars to finish it.
Next was some buildup and consolidation, then I attacked Polynesia which went pretty well. I was quite optimistic at that point. Then i chose Russia as next victim, after some buildup to Frigates. That went surprisingly easy because she was distracted fighting someone else. Took the capital and the city south of it to support attack on strong Marokko.

Overconfidence is a slow but insidous killer. The attack on Marokko, and my city management was quite sloppy. Tried to invade from two sides and lost a bunch of units uneccesarily. In the middle of the war, England, Korea and backstabbing Indonesia declared war. It was hell, war raging everywhere, land pillaged, several cities about to fall (London, Seoul), also riots due to unhappiness. Later Russia loined in against me after the peace deal ended. I had a submarine at that time which saved my ass against englands fleet, luckily. Marokko was taken in a desperate attack with last units. But I couldn't hold on to the strategic former russia city, conquered by russian land power. I maneged to just barely defend Moscow though. But then a suprise attack on Moscow from Indonesia meant that I lost Moscow to them!

After some time wars stabilized, but my empire had massive happiness problems, lots of revolts, sometimes about to loos Marokko capital due to unihappiness >20. It took a long time to consolidate, fight away at Indonesia massive fleet&production, and scrambling for happiness buildings, including loosing Prora to Russia by ONE turn, despite two great engineers (If i had thought of starting Prora earlier could have gotten it very easily). When I was consolidated and ready to attack Indonesia, (had been in war all along), again Marokko and Dido attacked. Casabanca could be defended safely against an onslought, the attack was anticipated, but it made the game quite long. Could manage to capture Moscow back when Russia was about to take it from Indonesia, with a part of my fleet lingering for the opportunity. Then finally empire got happy by some good Authoritarism tier2 policies, and finally Jakarta could be taken by my then massive fleet after a short peace deal.

Date submitted: 2015-08-16 15:46:49
Reference number: 33117
Your name: delight
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1943AD
Turns played: 363
Base score: 1897
Final score: 2634
Time played: 21:27:00
Submitted save: TSG115_Runde363_final.Civ5Save
Renamed file: delight_C511501.Civ5Save

- Did you use your UU?
Yes, contributed big time in early wars. Very strong.

Early-Midgame stole some techologies (about three). Later some strtegic city state manipulations

Probably helped more, because AI is with boats. My first three submarines alone had probably 20 kills each

Not much though was given

Had now religion, bouth some great engineers to rush happines buidings in time of crysis

Tradition Full, 2 Point Might, never got more then 3 in Rationalism, then Dictatorship

Love it! The fast embarking is quite useful, though not spectacular.

It was an amazing game, but I need something more peaceful for the next one! Need to get better at the economy, my capital finished just size 23ish, most cities around 15 population at the end, thats probably quite bad..

Game date: 1410AD
Turns played: 201
Base score: 1188
Final score: 2970

Wow great game! I did not think I would enjoy being a viking as much as I did. Always have hated it in the past when I have to battle against Berserkers in early way... now I know why.

This story, the story of the legendary empire of Denmark, began almost 5500 years before it reached global domination. Tied to the southeast part of a continent that included 3 other thriving civilizations, the King of Denmark chose to research key technologies early in his empire's history that would allow for rapid expansion of his peoples (Great Library for Iron Working turn 42). After the momentous rewards given for such a Wonderous achievement, Denmark completed two other large building projects that would help secure Harold Bluetooth's place in history (Colossus 75 & Statue of Zues 106). It was soon after he completed these two additional Wonders of the Ancient and Classical World, did Harold begin what would become a perpetual conquest of the entire globe with his - what some would call - insane troops (Berserkers). Bluetooth only founded 4 total cities, each aligned with strategic materials of the Earth. As Bluetooth eradicated the once mighty empires of Polynesia, Carthage, and England, he soon realized that his civilization would thrive through the might of their sword, and the swiftness of their sails. It was then, after the burning of York, that Bluetooth set his sight on the domination of all of mankind one civilization at a time...

A fleet of ships, bound for lands heretofore undiscovered, set sails for other vast empires on lands never seen by a Dane. In the meantime, other troops that had just burned the last Carthaginian city to the ground, set the sights of their crossbows toward the cocky Korean won, known only by the name Sejong. Soon after, the Korean capital of Seoul was in Danish control. On the other side of the world, Bluetooth's Berserkers had made landfall and began the arduous, years long siege of Jakarta. Once Jakarta was captured, a peace deal was signed, and troops made their way to the Russian lands - with only a few crossbowmen remaining in Jakarta to prevent a re-invasion. While these troops began their long journey up the wide sea to the Arctic North, the troops that had just conquered Korea were arriving on the shores of Morocco.

Like all Bluetooth's previous invasions, these remaining two battles would occur from the sea, by surprise. The timing was ripe for a joint invasion of the two remaining capitals - Marrakesh and Moscow. Troops and troops arrived along the shores of Russia, but Arctic ice blocked their way. A Declaration of war would have to be made before the troops could pass to reach Moscow. As such, more troops would be needed to pass through the narrow straight that would serve as a shooting range of arrows from the Russian shore. The attack on Moscow would need to be delayed 2 turns to gather more troops, while the attack on Marrakesh began. To nobody's surprise, the Moroccan capital fell easily, and all Bluetooth needed to do was conquer Moscow and the world's riches would be his - forever ingrained in the annals of history.

Spoiler :

War was soon declared against Russia, and troops began sailing through the straight, many were wounded, many more made it through. Soon the Russian shores and coast around Moscow were flooded with Danish troops, a scale of which had never before been seen on this planet. As far as the eye could see were rows and formations of Berserkers, followed by even more rows of Crossbowmen. In a matter of 3 turns the Russian Capital fell, and the troops of the once might Catherine the Great were buried in mass graves. Bluetooth had dominated the world. The world was his. The year was 1410AD.

The most cherished and honored of histories, Herodotus the great, recalls the dates of Bluetooth's momentious accomplishment in his famous book, "Histories: How Bluetooth Captured the World with Might":

Declaration of War - Polynesia (119)
Honolulu Captured (120)
Polynesia Eliminated (126)

Declaration of War - Carthage (139)
Carthage Captured (141)
Carthage Destroyed (160)

Declaration of War - England (163)
London Captured (167)
England Destroyed (173)

Declaration of War - Indonesia (175)
Declaration of War - Korea (177)
Seoul Captured (179)
Jakarta Captured (182)

Declaration of War - Morocco (195)
Marrakesh Captured (197)

Declaration of War - Russia (198)
Moscow Captured (201)

In the final year, while the captial of Russia fell, Herodotus would look back on the mighty cities of Denmark, not with awe of their beauty, size, or cultural achievements, but instead with awe of their efficiency, productivity, and military might. Indeed, Herodotus commented, "never before has a civilization captured the strength of humanity as did Bluetooth and his infinite fleet of ships! Mobs of men, women, and children in all the capitals of the world could be heard in unison chanting... 'Bluetooth, Bluetooth, Bluetooth.....'"

--------------------

I was really aiming for a sub-200 victory. I had my troops amassed at Catherine's borders, but waiting 2 additional turns for a few more troops. In hindsight I should have taken the risk - ended up only taken three turns to take Moscow easily. Had I had rushed it, and failed, it would have taken at least another 20 turns to get it. I played it safe...

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Attachments

• 2015-08-09_00001.jpg
    2015-08-09_00001.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 2015-08-09_00003.jpg
    2015-08-09_00003.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 306
  • 2015-08-09_00004.jpg
    2015-08-09_00004.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 361
  • 2015-08-23_00002.jpg
    2015-08-23_00002.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 369
T242 DV
5 City Liberty followed by Honor which gave a slow start from happiness and cash. Mostly crossbow frigate wars, but the Vikings were a good civ for domination.

Game date: 1927AD
Turns played: 347
Base score: 3339
Final score: 4839

This game was quite a trial and took over 9 hours to complete.

Sent my warrior north and decided to settle on the coastal hill to the south. Had a good early game as I had nice results from the various ruins. After that I persecuted England mercilessly and captured many workers and settlers. I also captured two/three roaming Korean settlers in the early game.

I quickly settled 4 cities and built Stonehenge for faith. I missed out on both the Great Lighthouse and Colossus, but did get Hanging Gardens and the Statue of Zeus.

I eventually captured London, but England had managed to expand after giving me a good terms earlier on. I then took out Korea.

I later had England, Carthage and Polynesia declare against me and I struggled to defeat Carthage given they used Galleass's as city garrison and along their coast. This cost me many, many units. I defeated Carthage and got Tonga from Polynesia in the peace treaty (Tonga was a cheeky city placed between Colombo and my capital relatively early in the game).

Indonesia and Morocco helped and eventually I took Honolulu. Indonesia declared on me and my submarines had a wonderful time of it. They paid me handsomely for peace and I then plotted victory and sent carriers, bombers, tanks etc off to Russia. I quickly took Russia and then conducted a simultaneous invasion of Indonesia and the Moroccan Capital.

- Did you use your UU?
I used my Bezerkers to defeat England and Korea. After this point they were
upgraded.

My spies warned me that my "friend" Indonesia was going to sneak attack me in
Honolulu. My bombers and submarines were waiting as a result.

The map meant that Russia and Indonesia became pretty powerful.

The difficulty meant I couldn't simply win with Frigates and Privateers, particularly
given how massive the AI fleets became.

Lots of Pagodas and Great People.

Tradition with two in Honor. Then rationalism with abit in commerce and exploration.
I went Freedom at first to get the Foreign Legion then switched to Autocracy as that
is what the people wanted.

Yes.

GG.

Attachments

• 1927AD Domination Victory.jpg
    1927AD Domination Victory.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom