High Society Mafia: Game Thread

Winston Hughes

Wrathful Warlock
Retired Moderator
High Society Mafia: Morning One

‘Welcome, ladies and gentlemen’ said the man in the captain’s outfit. ‘My name is McGinty, and I’ll be your captain for this voyage. Lady Weston-Hogues sends her most sincere apologies that she could not be here to welcome you herself, but alas she was held up, and will only be able to join us when we reach San Remo this evening. In the meantime, we have a well-stocked bar and an excellent chef, so please just call for refreshments as you require them. My crew will also be available to move your luggage once each of you has chosen your quarters for the voyage. If there’s anything else I can do, then please don’t hesitate to ask.’

Spoiler The Characters :
Spoiler The Actress :
Hollywood’s femme fatale du jour, the Actress has a sultry mystique that sets pulses racing and wallets opening.

Spoiler The Artist :
Being rich, beautiful, and passably bohemian, it doesn’t really matter that the Artist has no discernable talent for portraiture.

Spoiler The Author :
Once hugely fashionable, now considered rather passe, the Author is wealthy enough not to care.

Spoiler The Banker :
Rumours of embezzelment abound, but the Banker is a big man in the city, with friends in the highest places.

Spoiler The Bishop :
Promoted way above his meagre ability, the Bishop is living proof that family connections trump competence in today’s church.

Spoiler The Diplomat :
Effortlessly cool and handsome, pathologically self-centred and untrustworthy, the Diplomat was born for a life of international intrigue.

Spoiler The Duchess :
Terrifying matriarch of the country’s most powerful family, the Duchess does not suffer anyone gladly.

Spoiler The Explorer :
Renowned for his lavish expeditions to far flung corners of the globe, the Explorer may not have discovered anything of note, but he’s shot an awful lot of wildlife.

Spoiler The General :
On the time-honoured principle that anyone this crass and stubborn must make a good military leader, the General has been given command of numerous colonial missions, after which the fact that his opponents lacked actual weapons never prevented the newspapers from calling him a national hero.

Spoiler The Judge :
An exponent of the legal theory that everyone is guilty unless they’re a member of the upper classes, the Judge is notorious for sending hapless proles to the gallows on the flimsiest of evidence.

Spoiler The Playboy :
With his love for fast cars, spectacular parties, and truly horrible suits, the Playboy has a moustache that says ‘boys just wanna have fun’, and a bank balance that says ‘this is going to end badly’.

Spoiler The Politician :
As ruthless as he is clever, the Politician doesn’t care who he steps on in his relentless pursuit of power.

Spoiler The Professor :
A spouter of technical nonsense across a range of academic disciplines, the Professor’s avuncular manner belies his violently regressive political views.

[/URL]
Spoiler The Socialite :
Shallow, manipulative and exquisitely fashionable, the Socialite is as famous for her vicious put-downs as she is for her trend-setting outfits.

Spoiler The Tycoon :
Although his immense fortune was acquired by dubious means, the Tycoon has successfully ingratiated himself with polite society by throwing huge wads of cash around.

The Actress - choxorn
The Artist - classical_hero
The Author - robbiecon
The Banker - Backwards Logic
The Bishop - KingMorgan
The Diplomat - BSmith1068
The Duchess - johnhughthom
The Explorer - MartinLuther
The General - Visorslash
The Judge - Autolycus
The Playboy - landlubber
The Politician - askthepizzaguy
The Professor - Snerk
The Socialite - Bart O'Tak
The Tycoon - Zack

Notes:
If you have any mechanical questions about the set-up, please ask them by PM (and be prepared not to get an answer - some things you'll have to work out for yourselves).

Usual standards apply with regards to etiquette and gamesmanship. If you think a comment or a tactic might be crossing the line, ask me before posting and I'll get back to you asap.

Player Status

1. Zack (The Tycoon)
2. MartinLuther (The Explorer) Shot N1
3. KingMorgan (The Bishop) Impaled D2
4. landlubber (The Playboy) Impaled D3
5. robbiecon (The Author) Impaled D4
6. johnhughthom (The Duchess)
7. Takhisis (The Socialite) Impaled N5
8. Visorslash (The General)
9. askthepizzaguy (The Politician) Shot N3
10. Snerk (The Professor)
11. Autolycus (The Judge)
12. choxorn (The Actress) Shot N2
13. classical_hero (The Artist)
14. BSmith1068 (The Diplomat)
15. Backwards Logic (The Banker)

Reserve - Sprig

Game Progress

Morning One - Captain McGinty welcomes the guests to the Herculina.
Evening One - Lady Weston-Hogues comes aboard, and 'invites' her 'guests' to play a 'game'.
Morning Two - The Explorer is found 'murdered' by 'shooting'.
Evening Two - The Bishop has a nasty 'accident'.
Morning Three - The Actress dies offstage for a change.
Evening Three - The Playboy is revealed as a green-eyed monster.
Morning Four - The Politician goes the way of Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley.
Evening Four - In a twist so predictable and unconvincing it could have come from one of her own novels, The Author takes a short trip.
Morning Five - A murderless morning for our hobnobbing heroes.
Evening Five - *censored for public decency*

Day One Business

*No lynch votes today.

*You may vote in bold green to increase one player’s social influence in the group.

*You may also vote in bold red to decrease another player’s influence.

*Choose your cabin from the following list (first come, first served):

The Astrological Suite - BSmith1068 (The Diplomat)
The Countryside Suite - Snerk (The Professor)
The Egyptian Suite - classical_hero (The Artist)
The Hollywood Suite - choxorn (The Actress)
The India Suite - Takhisis (The Socialite)
The Jungle Suite - MartinLuther (The Explorer)
The Manhattan Suite - Zack (The Tycoon)
The Oriental Suite - robbiecon (The Author)
The Paris Suite - Backwards Logic (The Banker)
The Polo Suite - KingMorgan (The Bishop)
The Roman Suite - Visorslash (The General)
The Royal Suite - johnhughthom (The Duchess)
The Safari Suite - askthepizzaguy (The Politician)
The Temple Suite - Autolycus (The Judge)
The Valentine Suite - landlubber (The Playboy)

Private communication is allowed for the time being.

All future phases will be on the timer, but this one I'm going to play it by ear.

Let's get this party started...

I'll take the Hollywood Suite.

The Judge Autolycus is clearly a man of great worth, and deserves influence.

The Stowaway, or more politely, the Socialite Takhisis however deserves only derision.

I shall, of course, take The Royal Suite, the only cabin befitting one of my status.

Please ensure that uncouth, politician, askthepizzaguy, is kept as far away from me as possible. All the mixing with the unwashed masses, dreadful.

I am glad we have some socially acceptable guests, I am looking forward to Autolycus' tales of imprisoning ordinary people.

It is only fitting that I, the explorer, have The Jungle Suite.

Visorslash gets my vote of love since we both worked in the Sahara. I met the natives leading them into a sense of trust and Visorslash killed them all and gave me some of their riches.

Takhisis gets my vote of hate because that picture is of Eva Braun.

The Oriental Suite suits a lady like me

I sit here in my chambers, with pen sitting on paper, struggling to find the words to describe the cacophony of thoughts rushing through my mind. Then I realise I don't need to write anymore, I'm already filthy rich. "Garcon, bring me another sherry dahlin'"

landlubber, dahlin' you get my vote ;)

I never did care for Duchesses, johnhughthom

Available Cabins

The Astrological Suite
The Countryside Suite
The Egyptian Suite
The India Suite
The Manhattan Suite
The Paris Suite
The Polo Suite
The Safari Suite
The Temple Suite
The Valentine Suite

If I may, I would imagine that we will get specific instructions in our suite as to what we are expected to achieve.

Some will no doubt wish to eliminate others, and there may yet be those with more nefarious goals.

I would not have thought it befitting of a general to indulge in speculation and guesswork.

I do hope you use fact and proven information when planning your campaigns in the colonies, general?

I'm beginning to see why it took four years to defeat the Kaiser...

Speculation and estimation are important tools in every general's arsenal Duchess.

Not everything can be sorted into facts and proven information.

You would do well to remember that.

Well, I never...

I had imagined, as a general, you would be from a family of good breeding and respectability, I can see that is not the case.

I can think of a few facts about you I could certainly sort into place right now. As a Lady, however, I shall refrain.

Glances with disdain at robbiecon, who seems to be on her fourth sherry, and mutters something containing the words "pulp trash" as she walks off to inspect her cabin.

Since I seek to run my courtroom as a temple of justice, it is only fitting that I should have The Temple Suite. The bishop is welcome to any church suite he can find.

The General, as a defender of the societal edifice that I maintain, deserves acclaim.

By contrast, actresses like choxorn are parasites on the body politic, even more so than others I could name. I confess to being surprised by the number of indolents that our hostess permits on board.

The judge casts a glance of generalized disdain at fully half of those present.

Available Cabins

The Astrological Suite
The Egyptian Suite
The India Suite
The Manhattan Suite
The Paris Suite
The Polo Suite
The Safari Suite
The Valentine Suite

I'll be gone for the next 24 hours or so, after which I'll look at moving us on to the next phase, assuming everyone has made an appearance.

Where else but the Valentine Suite for me? I expect I'll have to entertain a few of these lovely ladies, so I might as well have the right room for it.

Speaking of which, I think The Socialite, Takhisis deserves some time alone with me.

My ladyfriends, pay no mind to The Diplomat, BSmith. He likes to think himself accomplished, but he clearly has imitated my suave style. I will not let this mimic go unpunished.

Top Bottom