The Enlightenment Era

Pouakai

It belongs in a museum.

“By doubting we come to enquiry, and through enquiry we perceive the truth.” - Pierre Abélard

Direct Download | Steam Workshop

The Enlightenment Era, The Century of Lights, The Age of Reason. Those are but a few names people have dubbed the Eighteenth Century, one hundred years that pushed the world into the direction of scientific and social progress. Propelled by philosophers, scientists, explorers and politicians alike, the Enlightenment Era transformed the face of Europe and the Americas, and the mindset of their inhabitants likewise. Originating from the grand humanist ideas of the Renaissance, the principles of Enlightenment shifted man’s attention from the divine to the profane, from the Heavens to the Earth, from faith to science. Whilst earlier eras of history saw - on occasion - matching levels of freedom or progress, the Age of Reason pushed the boundaries of human curiosity, research and exploration much further ahead. The ideas of personal liberty, secular politics and scientific method - those were the concepts that defined the epoch. Concepts that found their greatest achievement in the creation of the United States of America, and their biggest caricature in the self-destructing bloodshed of the French Revolution.
Whilst marked by near-constant war, social upheaval and the crumbling of absolute monarchies of old, the Enlightenment Era paved the way for the Industrial Revolution with its intrepid pursuit of science and the perceived expansion of the human mind. Just as the Industrial Revolution sped the world up, this prior epoch first turned the world around.

What's included:

• Completely new Enlightenment era
    • 11 New Technologies
    • 11 New Units
    • 12 New Buildings
    • 9 New Wonders
    • New extension of scouting unit line
    • Fully voiced era, tech, and wonder quotes
Mod compatibility:
The Enlightenment Era is, by default, compatible with almost every mod which is unrelated to the tech tree. Other mods which add new eras will conflict with the Enlightenment, as will any mods which add technologies in the Industrial era or later. Mods which add a few technologies to the early game but do not adjust the length of the tech tree as a whole should be compatible, but this is not guaranteed.
Beyond the tech tree, Cultural Diversity will have support for the Enlightenment on or soon after launch, as will all relevant civs from More Civilisations and JFD's Civilisations. Support from other mods will come as they are updated by their respective authors.

Mod support (for Modders):

In order to add support for the Enlightenment to your mod, first add the Enlightenment as a reference using the below ID:

Mod Title: The Enlightenment Era
Mod ID: ce8aa614-7ef7-4a45-a179-5329869e8d6d

What is needed for support will depend on the nature of your mod, however for a simple unique unit change for a civ historically set within the Enlightenment Era you can follow the example code written by Sukritact here in order to change the unique unit of a civ to a more appropriate one within the Enlightenment. As long as the file is properly added (the same way in which an XML file is added to a mod) and the Enlightenment is set as a reference then this format will update the unit to replace one from the Enlightenment. Other stats can also be added easily using the same format, and will only update when the mod is active.

Current Status:

As of the 30th of October, this mod has officially been released. Later updates will primarily fix bugs which are noticed post-release, as well as adjust costs of technologies and other aspects to better reflect a pacing similar to that of the Vanilla game. Support from other mods is now in the hands of their respective authors.

How you can help:

Now that the mod is released, we need bug reports on anything which isn't correct so that we can fix it. There were a lot of changes in the final days prior to release, so it is likely that some may not have been updated in all places. We also need feedback on the pacing of the era, so that it is in line with Vanilla and doesn't pass by too quickly (or too slowly)

More Information:
Tech Tree | Manual
Screenshot Album
Credits:
Please note that this only includes direct contributors. Many additional people have helped, either in part or through providing unit models which have since been used. The list will be updated as more information on that regard becomes available
Andrew Holt - Quote voiceovers
COF - Pedias
Janboruta - Art, Design
JFD - Code, Pedias, Design
Pouakai - Code and Compilation, Design, Pedias
Proffy - Pedias
Reedstilt - Pedias, Design
Regalman - Pedias
Sukritact - Art, Design
Superwaffle - Pedias, Text
TheeeSpacePope - Art
Tomatekh - Pedias
Viregel - Pedias

Last edited:
Really looking forward to actually being able to play with EE, one question though in regards to the Smithsonian. Seeing as it is also included in ExCE - with a different effect - what would happen if both mods were enabled?

Been looking forward to this for a very, very long time! Wherever Colonialist Legacies Civs can support the mod, we will.

Been looking forward to this for a very, very long time! Wherever Colonialist Legacies Civs can support the mod, we will.

Unit upgrade paths might need looking into in each civ individually. Otherwise we mostly need two-three remaining pieces of art, all of which I've started and are more or less halfway done.

Ooooh! I really like the changes to the tech tree! I'm going to be curious to see how it handles adding the extra era and adjusting the tech tree -- I know the existing Prehistoric Era mod simply moves the whole tech tree down, so it's compatible with the changes that I made in my Future Worlds mod. I'm hoping this mod does the same thing, so I can simply load in my mod first and have the whole tech tree just moved down further.

Really cool. Looking forward to seeing how the mod progresses :)

One of my most anticipated mods! Would it also be possible to add a mod that stops at the enlightenment era and the research can't go further? There are mods that do that for each era. It's just that the art is so beautiful that I want to stay in that time.

Beautiful. Just beautiful. :love:

Wait, so the mod compatibility code will only activate if this mod is active? So for example, if this isn't active, a unique unit will automatically fall back to replace a Vanilla unit instead of - let's say - a Cuirasser?

This was something I wanted to do myself as part of a mod I'm doing, but if someone else will do it for me, the result will probably be all the much better ...

ExCE will delete EE's Smithsonian (and Explorer, for that matter), and move it's current on to the appropriate tech.
Don't forget to adjust the Surveyor then so that it requires your Explorer, otherwise it won't end well

Unit upgrade paths might need looking into in each civ individually. Otherwise we mostly need two-three remaining pieces of art, all of which I've started and are more or less halfway done.
Yeah, I was considering doing something automatic based on the unit classes or whatever but then that'd probably mess up civs like the Maori which have a different UU upgrade path than the original unit.

Aw damn this would be great addition to CPB, if it could be made compatible with it.
What would be needed for compatibility? I want this to be as compatible with as much stuff as possible.

So does this mean that the Smithsonian will be removed from ExCE?
According to JFD the EE one will be replaced with the ExCE one.

Ooooh! I really like the changes to the tech tree! I'm going to be curious to see how it handles adding the extra era and adjusting the tech tree -- I know the existing Prehistoric Era mod simply moves the whole tech tree down, so it's compatible with the changes that I made in my Future Worlds mod. I'm hoping this mod does the same thing, so I can simply load in my mod first and have the whole tech tree just moved down further.
Ooh, I'll need to take a look at how they do it. I've gone through and manually moved all the techs down a couple columns, so if there's an automated way to do it that'd be hugely useful and free up more potential conflicts. Might include a compatibility era file for the Prehistoric Era too, so they can work together as well.

Beautiful. Just beautiful. :love:

Wait, so the mod compatibility code will only activate if this mod is active? So for example, if this isn't active, a unique unit will automatically fall back to replace a Vanilla unit instead of - let's say - a Cuirasser?
Yeah, it checks to see whether the unit it's trying to replace is present - in the example case the Skirmisher - and if it is then it implements the change. If the unit isn't present (ie. the mod isn't active) then it doesn't do anything.

If you don't mind me saying, I think you stretched the tech trees bit too much.... Is there any chance you will remove one tech(and make rifling more useful)?

I can't wait to try the new wonders.... :D

Looks fantastic! Can't wait!

One question though:
Salons and Academies can't exist in the same city.
The Smithsonian Institution gives a free academy.
What happens if I have a Salon and then build the Smithsonian?
What happens if I build the Smithsonian first, can I still build a Salon?

How soon before there would be code to look at? I think this would completely herp this mod I am working on if they were active at the same time. Though I don't have anything like the pretty artworks your mod has.

[edit]guess I need to work on my reading comprehension some more. already answered in the OP.

Oh wow.

Oh WOW!

This is a very pleasant surprise to see coming back from work. And you say right before the end of the month? Man, going to have to split my time between The Phantom Pain and this.

I imagine that a lot of mods will need to be updated to fit this. Is it technically possible to have Piety & Sovereignty and ExCE work with this? If so, then my god, it's like one massive expansion pack. :D

Great job Pouakai, and everyone else working on this! :D I can barely withhold my excitement now.

Also, is it just me or does the Skirmisher look a lot like JFD's Jager? And will the dates be adjusted for this new era? And is there some way to allow both EE and ExCE Smithsonian's to co-exist? I'd like to have the bonuses of this new one will retaining the effects and purpose of ExCE Smithsonian (I realize this is probably a no) :3

Edit: Also, I think the Corporations mod (which adds a tech to Industrial) will work because all it needs is industrialization, and it looks like it's past all the big changes made.

I imagine that a lot of mods will need to be updated to fit this. Is it technically possible to have Piety & Sovereignty and ExCE work with this? If so, then my god, it's like one massive expansion pack. :D

Also, is it just me or does the Skirmisher look a lot like JFD's Jager? And is there some way to allow both EE and ExCE Smithsonian's to co-exist? I'd like to have the bonuses of this new one will retaining the effects and purpose of ExCE Smithsonian (I realize this is probably a no) :3

Edit: Also, I think the Corporations mod (which adds a tech to Industrial) will work because all it needs is industrialization, and it looks like it's past all the big changes made.

It will be, of course.

It is similar art. EE's Skirmisher came first, and (IIIRC) Jan pointed out that a retexturing would suit the Jaeger perfectly fine.

Yeah, I don't see how the two wonders can co-exist.

Don't forget to adjust the Surveyor then so that it requires your Explorer, otherwise it won't end well

That'll have to go too.

Ooh, I'll need to take a look at how they do it. I've gone through and manually moved all the techs down a couple columns, so if there's an automated way to do it that'd be hugely useful and free up more potential conflicts. Might include a compatibility era file for the Prehistoric Era too, so they can work together as well.

The code I've seen in the new version of the mod, at least, is this:

Code:
-- Moves the whole Tech Tree _ spaces to the right, except for Prehistorical Techs
-- (only works if this sql is above the Technologies.xml in the actions list!)

UPDATE Technologies
SET GridX = GridX + 6;

Admittedly, the Prehistoric Mod just has to move the entire tech tree, but I'm wondering if you could use a WHERE to move certain columns over.

I'm starting to think I might have to see if I can find a way to make my mod's tech tree more dynamic, storing the grid coordinate of something like Telecommunications and then using it to place all the other techs... but I'm not familiar enough with SQL to know how feasible that'd be.

I suspect the issue will be that the Corporations tech will have a specific grid reference, which might conflict with the mod unless Pouakai can make it more dynamic.

Top Bottom