(Rising Tides) Hybrid-Affinities

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
So while they haven't gone into perks the units look amazing.

One thing they've done is give each unique hybrid affinity unit some sort of special ability, including the Golem, who can block line of sight. Architect, who can boost or hurt friendly and enemy units with mind-control, Invisbile Sentry Drone like unit (reminds me of the unit from Generals Zero Hour) and they look kick-ass.

Really impressed, I really wish this was the Vanilla features.

So while they haven't gone into perks the units look amazing.

One thing they've done is give each unique hybrid affinity unit some sort of special ability, including the Golem, who can block line of sight. Architect, who can boost or hurt friendly and enemy units with mind-control, Invisbile Sentry Drone like unit (reminds me of the unit from Generals Zero Hour) and they look kick-ass.

Really impressed, I really wish this was the Vanilla features.

Very impressed too! I think the special abilities will make combat much more interesting than in base BE.

Very impressed too! I think the special abilities will make combat much more interesting than in base BE.

Gives an incentive to build those units, even in base Civ 5 game I almost never use anything but Siege and Melee units, these uniques may give me a push in the right direction.

Gives an incentive to build those units, even in base Civ 5 game I almost never use anything but Siege and Melee units, these uniques may give me a push in the right direction.

Which is a really good thing for BE and hopefully will address some of the complaints that players have had towards the game.

Which is a really good thing for BE and hopefully will address some of the complaints that players have had towards the game.

Yeah, the abilities is something that's truly innovative for Civ game, I mean the only other thing I could've thought off was the ability for Legions in Civ 5, 4 and 3 or whatever ot build Roads, other than that units were only different by different strengths and promotions.

This really makes each unit special that encourages something.

I've typed up a brief overview on the livestream info, the descriptive paragraphs are outlining what was said:

Purity/Supremacy

Spoiler :
Focused on master-servant relationship between humans and machines. This hybrid takes the “toolmakers” mentality of Supremacy in a different direction. They engineer extremely powerful, elaborate robots but make sure they aren’t sentient. They don’t become robots, they use robots as vehicles and tools; there is always a human overlord who is supreme. (They like the 3 laws of Asimov.) All their unique units are powerful, remote controlled robots or controlled by some sort of driver.

Their unit color is White with cyan and blue as their secondary color with accents of light orange. Their aesthetic is based on the porcelain doll, idealized, but clearly mechanical.

Soldier - Eidolon
Automatically heal every turn or +30% when flanking
+24 Strength

Gunner - Virtuoso
Attack over Terrain obstacles or +8% per adjacent friendly unit
+8 Strength
1 more attack every turn.
Can move after attacking.

Armor - Maestro
+1 Movement or Ignore Zones of Control when moving
+30 Strength
All terrain costs 1 movement
Levitates over land and sea terrain

Patrol Boat - Baron
+20% when attacking or defending when in friendly orbital coverage or Reveal invisible enemy units
+24 Strength

Gunboat - Countess
+1 Range or Can move after attacking
+16 Strength
+26 Ranged Strength

Unique - Drone Cage
Support actions heal surrounding allied units by +10?
(Is a dude with a pair or fly robot drones. Go figure.)

Ultimate Unique - Golem
Defensive unit. Capable of turning into a wall that blocks attacks for allies. Great for sieges?
(Looks kind of goofy, but its attack animation is kind of awesome.)

Harmony/Purity

Spoiler :
Harmony/Purity takes the idea of the human form and makes it “godlike”.

Its hard to hybridize anything with Purity because they’re so rigid, so fanatical. So with this hybrid, the fanaticism expressed, just in another route. It embraces Genetic Manipulation and Artificial Evolution, learning from the planet we’ve landed on (the Harmony flavor) and using it not to become more Harmony but using it to push the human form beyond any historical limitations. They engineer the superhuman, a human unto or as close as they can get to the divine.

Their main color is Bronze with accents and weapon fire of purple. They take on a sort of Greco-Roman, ideal which is evocative of deities and demigods. Similarly, the names of their units utilize Eternal/Immortal perspectives on humanity.

Soldier - Champion
Terrain Costs 1 Movement or Automatically heal every turn.
+24 Strength

Gunner - Kodiak
All terrain costs 1 movement or Attack over terrain obstacles
+8 Strength
+26 Ranged Strength

Armor - Gladiator
Can move after attacking or +1 movement
+30 Strength

Patrol Boat - Argo
Automatically heal every turn or +20% when attacking or defending when in friendly orbital coverage
+24 Strength

Gunboat - Mako
Automatically heal every turn or +1 Range
+16 Strength
+26 Ranged Strength

Unique - Immortal
Genetically modified shock troop
(Has weapons built INTO the soldier!)

Unique - Architect
Support unit capable of buffing allies or debuffing enemies.
(Has antenna things on the backs of some of its models.)

Supremacy/Harmony

Spoiler :
They had a lot of fun with this hybrid. Harmony and Supremacy are perhaps the most divergent of affinities and the resultant is an unbelievable mishmash of crazy juxtaposition.

They’re definitely the craziest hybrid, with a “Power by any means” attitude, They see no need to focus on either the organic or mechanical, instead saying “Why can’t we have both?” drawing on the Power and Lessons from both sources. They create super bizarre, pseudo-impossible cyborgs; hybrids that are neither robot or organism. Something in between where neither part can exist without the other. Powerful organism with a lot of augmentations, you don’t know where one ends and the other begins.

Soldier - Hellion
+30% when flanking or All Terrain costs 1 movement
+24 Strength

Gunner - Fury
+8% per adjacent friendly unit or All terrain costs 1 movement
+8 Strength
1 more attack every turn
Can move after attacking

Armor - Savage
Ignore zones of control when moving or Can move after attacking
+24 Strength
+1 Movement

Patrol Boat - Vortex
Reveal invisible enemy units or Automatically heal every turn
+24 Strength

Gunboat - Wrath
Can move after attacking or Automatically heal every turn
+16 Strength
+18 Ranged Strength
+1 Range

Unique - Geliopod
Invisible Melee Unit

Ultimate Unique - Aquillon
Flying Carrier with "weak" direct attack
(looks creepy/cool)

No problem. A lot of it is verbatim but some is paraphrased. But I think it covers a lot of the mentality of the hybrid affinities.

It's just nice to see things together for each hybrid so I can get the "big picture" for the hybrid that I am looking at.

Purity/ Supremacy is a bit disappointing, since it really just sounds like Purity without sentient machines.

There isn't anything about Purity that is opposed to using non-sentient robots widely.

(My love of the Megaman X / Z / ZX game series gives me a bit of bias to wanting sentient machines and humans living alongside each other.)

Harmony/ Purity is stronger thematically, but I with they had gone with the crazy terraforming route.

It would have them do to the environment what they hope to do to the human form - push it beyond its limits with extensive genetic engineering.

(To serve humanity, of course.)

I think that would have given them a stronger Purity tie-in by including its enthusiasm for terraforming.

Purity/ Supremacy is a bit disappointing, since it really just sounds like Purity without sentient machines.

There isn't anything about Purity that is opposed to using non-sentient robots widely.

(My love of the Megaman X / Z / ZX game series gives me a bit of bias to wanting sentient machines and humans living alongside each other.)

Harmony/ Purity is stronger thematically, but I with they had gone with the crazy terraforming route.

It would have them do to the environment what they hope to do to the human form - push it beyond its limits with extensive genetic engineering.

(To serve humanity, of course.)

I think that would have given them a stronger Purity tie-in by including its enthusiasm for terraforming.

I have to agree here, it feels like Supremacy/Harmony is the only real hybrid, while the others feel just like Purity+. Such a shame.

On a different note: Aircraft has no hybrid upgrades. I guess, they couldn't come up with interesting upgrades/promotions? I would even say, that subs and carriers also have no hybrid upgrades...

The Purity Harmony one looks weird, like an alien wearing a golden spandex suit.

It seems Pure Purity is still the most fashionable affinity.

I'm confused about a few things. It seemed like in the upgrade screen, there was no hybrid 3rd tier, but the image above seems to show otherwise...

Also, the Golem and Geliopod seem really incredible. These hybrid uniques seem way OP compared to Battlesuits and CNDRs, which are essentially just marines with a higher attack value. Will going pure affinities going to be gimped at this point or will their uniques be gaining new unique effects to be on par with the new ones?

The Purity Harmony one looks weird, like an alien wearing a golden spandex suit.
That's probably intended. Their whole idea is being super-human, showing off their physique in the same way superheroes do.

They are trying to make everybody into Superman, hence everybody gets Kal-El's fashion sense! :lol:
I'm confused about a few things. It seemed like in the upgrade screen, there was no hybrid 3rd tier, but the image above seems to show otherwise...

Also, the Golem and Geliopod seem really incredible. These hybrid uniques seem way OP compared to Battlesuits and CNDRs, which are essentially just marines with a higher attack value. Will going pure affinities going to be gimped at this point or will their uniques be gaining new unique effects to be on par with the new ones?
If you look carefully, they've just shown the same model... twice in different poses, so there's only one tier of hybrids. And yeah, I'm worried about Battlesuits and CNDRs, too. I could almost accept the Battlesuit as "just stronger" unit given Purity's inherently conservative approach, but the CNDR needs something extra, definitely.

@Black Whole:

Yeah, they could have been pushed harder.

P/S has nothing substantial philosophically separating itself from Purity - Purity is fine with using non-sentient robotics.

H/P Feels like Purity pushing its genetic idealization of the human form farther - which is better than P/S in its dichotomy, but it is still lacking.

I was hoping that H/P would focus on genetically engineering both humanity and the environment to create a ecosystem that perfectly supports civilization, taking terraforming from Purity and adaptative genetics from Harmony.

Also, I really hope each unit class has hybrid forms.

@Lord Tirian:

Obviously the H/P heretics must be shown the error of their ways.

Enlightenment can come from Purist propaganda broadcasts or indiscriminate LEV Tank bombardments liberation forces.

On the topic of unique units, I'd generally like abilities that they gain in all of their upgraded forms to be default, possibly with a base combat strength reduction.

In the case of the Battlesuit that would mean +30% strength while defending.

In the case of the CNDR that would mean +8% strength for each adjacent unit.

Actually, pure Purity would be against using non-sentient robots since they are fanatical about humans being in control. They would be afraid that even a non-sentient AI might evolve and try take control and dominate humans. So they would use dumb machines like a mech with a human driver (Aegis unit for example) but would not want any kind of AI, even non-sentient.

Pure Supremacy goes completely the other direction and believes in full sentient machines with no fleshy humans at all.

So, I think Purity-Supremacy is a good hybrid because it fits perfectly in the middle of those two extremes. It represents purity that is willing to compromise a little on the "no robots, not even non-sentient ones" rule and allows for robots like supremacy as long as humans are firmly still in control.

I have to agree here, it feels like Supremacy/Harmony is the only real hybrid, while the others feel just like Purity+. Such a shame.

On a different note: Aircraft has no hybrid upgrades. I guess, they couldn't come up with interesting upgrades/promotions? I would even say, that subs and carriers also have no hybrid upgrades...

I feel like S/H is the most apparent, I feel like I get where H/P is coming from, but I hope/wish they do more at the "domestic level" with regards to planetary interaction. I don't really have an opinion on P/S.

The rest of the units better get upgrades in future updates/next expansion, or I will be one very unhappy and very confused player.

It seems Pure Purity is still the most fashionable affinity.

The style is really growing on me. After seeing all the units, I've become kind of fond of the style. I think the Architect design and the Immortal run animation is a bit goofy, but the design theme is quite solid. Gold/Bronze with purple accents. That curved arch structural/accent piece in the back of most of the units... I like it.

They showed this in the livestream. You upgrade through the tier 3 prime affinity units.

@SupremacyKing2

Humans are in control with non-sentient robots unless we are defining the term differently.

There is nothing about Purity that is opposed to automation and computer science as we use it today.

The big divide would be AIs truly capable of thinking for themselves, learning, and potentially acting in ways they were never programmed to.

With the Aegis, there is a clear difference between having an automated machine perform tasks at a factory and having it kill.

(And it does have a basic AI to coordinate reloading and movement, among other things.)

A human pilot ensures human discretion in what to shoot and what not to - a safeguard against bad programming killing the a non-combatant.

There is also a benefit in human ability to adapt to changing battlefield situations where an AI would be likely be more rigid.

(We all know what the AI is like in Civ games. ;))

Top Bottom