Game of the Month 172: Nov 2015

Civilization: 1 English settlers
Starting techs: Bronze Working and Ceremonial Burial
Difficulty: Emperor
Total players: 7
Restarts: on
Barbarians: Villages only (-50)
25x40 game generated custom known map

As with all known maps, you should open the starting save in map editor and study the map.
Rivals on the left are: Mongols, Vikings, and Russians. Rivals on the right are: Babylonians, Aztecs, and Americans.

Deadline: Jan 12 30, 2016

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

You can download the game here.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Attachments

• GOTM172.jpg
    GOTM172.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,166
The starting spot has great potential as all its specials are arrow specials. The two hills are a drag but still this is an excellent spot overall.

All rivals are on one land mass so there is no offshore trade.

Given 6 rivals on a small map there will be late game fighting. There may be even some early and mid game warfare from aggressive rivals on the west. The lakes make the western border easily defensible though.

Let everyone know if you plan to play OCC.

Technically there are some offshore spots for cities in each corner of the map ;) And another offshore island!

(No but seriously. Probably OCC for me. Since the map is known I'll have to take note of hut coordinates since I can't run Classic Civ2 and MGE mapeditor at the same time.)

(EDIT: Seems like a base 70shields for a city, maximum. Decent.)

That offshore island on the lake is going to be useful for the space ship players. The corner glaciers are frozen wasteland. I doubt anyone would bother building there.

Hi everyone!

I haven't played civ2 for 15 years and I recently remembered the good old days so I took a look over the internet. I am pretty excited to see that people are still playing each month! I never heard about GOTM when I was playing civ2 (in the 90' :)) and I'd like to join you guys to rediscover this amazing game.

I gave a try to a few archived GOTM to be sure to understand the rules (I did pretty well in GOTM140, I stopped at 1AD and had similar statistics as you all, and pretty bad at GOTM166, where a French horsemen declared war without negotiation and took my undefended capital and then my second city… I ended up with a size 1 fully corrupted advanced tribe in 2000AD).

I have lost long time ago my civ2 CD but found a free version on abandonware, which is I think the MGE (the AI is indeed very aggressive, whatever I do while supreme all of them will always turn form worshipful to hostile at the end of every turn). I will probably not try OCC yet (I have never tried yet, I didn't knew about it by the time but I am very excited about reading form your OCC games). However I do not have (and cannot find) any map editor.

Is it ok if I do the following procedure to look at the map: save the 4000AD, turn cheat menu on, destroy all civs, reveal map, save this as map.sav and then load this when I want to check out the map. I am not sure what the map editor will show. If I do this I get to know where the huts are (but I understand from Jokemaster you also have access to this information). Does the map editor also displays starting locations (in that case what could I do? If I reveal the map without killing civs I will have the exact location of their capital, at least for the ones which turn came prior to mine).

I will try to log my progress and and maybe ask for help :). I say on your logs you output trade stats (trade routes: 0D0F), what does 0D and 0F stands for?

Thanks for your answers.

First of all, welcome to CFC!

0D0F means: 0 domestic trade routes, 0 foreign.

I'm sure Blasph23 has a MapEditor executable file somewhere on this site, IIRC. Maybe look in his post history? Idk how it works.

Welcome indeed. We are a small but active community.
Typically with known maps the player starting positions are known anyway but as you guessed the map editor does not show that. The map editor, however, does show all huts.
Your proposed procedure for looking at the map is fine but it is cumbersome for you. Try jokemaster's suggestion. Also look on ebay for a legit copy. I recently picked up an MGE version so I could play scenarios.
Also look up the patch ( on the forum) that reverts the hostile MGE AI to normal.
Good luck. Happy civing.

Wait, the AI agressiveness patch is allowed to be used for GOTM's?

Dang, if only I knew.

Wait, the AI agressiveness patch is allowed to be used for GOTM's?

Dang, if only I knew.

Sometimes the agressiveness is handy. When you don't want to declare war to conquer some cities......they do it instead.

I might play this one. Just a normal spacesip game I guess. I'm still rusty....

Thanks for warm welcome!

I do not dislike AI unfriendly MGE from what I just played as I find it more challenging than what I remembered. I had to be strategic to exchange knowledge with AI, you can only do it in one turn (gifting them many so they turn at least neutral and then exchange, sometimes even worshipful they don't want and you just spend tech gifting...), so you really have to monitor how much tech you can give so you keep enough for future gifting when you will need a new tech. But well, this seems a huge disadvantage (I don't see how you can really monitor AI research) and I would like to be able to compare my game with yours to learn. And in my first OCC it has been very hard to me to get any tech from AI (but it's my first attempt, maybe I am doing something wrong).

I am running MacOX and did not managed to use the official patch http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=52

I have found another patch which seems only to correct attitude "bug" (it however introduce a bug so you can not use "find city" any more…) here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=509103 (gps post)

But I don't know if using that patch is allowed for GOTMs?

Sometimes the agressiveness is handy. When you don't want to declare war to conquer some cities......they do it instead.

I might play this one. Just a normal spacesip game I guess. I'm still rusty....

The agressiveness is not handy in OCC my friend! Before I gave up (forgot to do the 1/1000AD saves again, rip) I was stuck in wars with half the planet, not having discovered Railroad by 1770 AD. Awful hut luck past the first one, and I got diddly squat in tributes/gifts.
I'm gonna pass.

(Maybe I could have an AI patched .exe for spaceship games and a non-patched .exe for EC, but it would probably go against the spirit of GOTM rules.

EDIT: Also assume that swapping .exes when I change strategies would be very much an ethical no-no.)

I am not an expert on patches. There is a Civ2 subforum for discussing technical issues and you probably find valuable info there.

In general:
1. Ask
2. Use common sense
We are on an honor system. It has been accepted to remove MGE's AI hatefulness because
a. some of us play on the original single player version
b. it ruins diplomacy which is an interesting aspect of the game

So if the patch you are talking about removes MGE's AI hatefulness without giving you any undue advantage then go ahead and use it.

I finished this map with elephants and one diplomat for city wall,restart,restart,restart,a tile distance...Mongols resolved 2 restarts,me others.

Hi all,

I haven't been able to play at all the last two months, so I'm still playing this game. Based on the spoiler I guess there will be something like two weeks deadline extension ? Not sure I will be able to finish even by then, but I might try.

I myself just started on this a few days ago. I know others are playing as well. I will extend the deadline to 30th.

Top Bottom