The Civilization IV combat odds calculator

dkor

Chieftain
Hi fellow civilization fans.

In short, I created recently a calculator for combat odds in the game and thought it can be useful to someone else and someone can suggest something about it.

More volubly, recently I encountered this post about the combat mechanics in the game and thought it would have been convenient to have an automated way to assess all this stuff, described in the post.

I tried to find any calculator which already had been created, but those I found were based on MS Office Excel with macros enabled, which can be inconvenient to many people as well as something else, which was not acceptable to me but what I cannot remember now.

So I created this one, it is based on vanilla HTML/CSS/JavaScript, so it is not more dangerous that any page on the Web, if anyone does not trust me (as every clever user should). It requires only a modern browser (I tested in in Google Chrome version 42, but it should work version 20, I think). It won't work in the old versions of Microsoft IE (6-8).

It shows rather incorrect results in two cases:
- the units or one unit in the combat are not healthy 100% (this is due to some strange combat mechanics which was not explained in the mentioned post)
- the attacking unit is a siege weapon (siege weapons will always have combat odds higher that those reported by this calculator, because they do not have to destroy the enemy completely).

This calculator can be particularly useful if you want to assess what chances of win has your enemy in some situation, which is impossible at all with the original means provided by the game.

So if anyone needs such a thing, you can download it from this post's attachment link. It is a zip archive with an html file in it.

It shows rather incorrect results in two cases:
- the units or one unit in the combat are not healthy 100% (this is due to some strange combat mechanics which was not explained in the mentioned post)

One of the guides in the Civ IV War Academy covers combat between injured units in depth.
I think it is in the War accademy/Game mechanics sub forum.
Sorry I can't remember the writer or Article name

- the attacking unit is a siege weapon (siege weapons will always have combat odds higher that those reported by this calculator, because they do not have to destroy the enemy completely).

Errr to win the combat they do have to destroy the unit they are engaging completely.
However due to their high chance to retreat from the final round of combat they have a higher chance of surviving the combat.

In BtS, siege can't destroy units--siege units will withdraw after inflicting a certain amount of damage.

Top Bottom