TSG126 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG126 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Describe any significant details like new cities, wonders, and religion.
- Have you done any conquering yet? If so, who?
- Have you settled on a strategy for finding the continents?
- Do you have any ideas on a grand strategy yet?

Only my second game in the last 2 years, but so far, so good...

Settled on the more Southern gold.

Tech: Mining (yeah, stupid), pottery, masonry, writing, archery ---> headed for CB.
Monument-worker-shrine-scout (the map made me think (correctly I believe) that the scout just wasn't a high priority)-Pyramids

Got the second pantheon, went with Religious Idols

Went Liberty, and will take commerce next (it is unlikely I will reach the renaissance before I have to choose).

The Aztecs fell on turn 92 (4 CB, 2 Spearman and a warrior). Currently moving towards Athens.

- Have you settled on a strategy for finding the continents?

Haven't even got a boat yet, so not so much. :)

- Do you have any ideas on a grand strategy yet?

I don't know how grand it is, but simply seize Athens, then sit back and explore and Science, science, science until I am in a strong position militarily, target a couple of CS close together on the other continent (assuming there only 2, which is occurs to me I have no idea if it true or not), and convert them to provide a base of operations.

The surprise was no nearby horses or iron. Then a little flashbulb went off over my head. As Austria I can marry into city-state iron to the north. If I'd thought of that thirty turns ago I'd be ahead of the game, but better late than never.

I have four composite bows, sword and spear ready to attack the Aztecs. The scout has finished exploring our continent and is returning to Salzburg to generate culture and happiness.

I have only two hammers at Salzburg, the port down by the southwest spices, so I need a workshop to export hammers from Vienna. I also need Currency to exploit the gold resources.

I got Temple of Artemis and Hanging Gardens. I could try for Temple of Zeus, five turns, but a happiness building looks more urgent.

I hope the Aztecs go down fast so I can get to Greece before companion cavalry are available. In my practice game I managed to beat the neighbour, India, by turn 101. That's the first time I've come close to conquering any AI in the first hundred turns.

If I can do it again here, good. It's turn 91. If on the other hand this fight is drawn-out, then the rest could turn into a long slow grind.

That's what I'm used to. I can still win.

Describe any significant details like new cities, wonders, and religion.
I have founded 3 new cities for a total of 4. The first was settled on the gold east of the mountain range to my east. This was intended as a defensive settlement so that the Aztecs would have to attack it instead of my capital. Also, to pen in the Aztecs as much as possible.

The second settlement was founded next to mountain and gold in the north west, near marble as well. I want a science heavy civ, so that was built for that purpose. It'll expand and then be able to be a science base.

My 3rd expansion was build on the desert tile to my south west, next to cow and spices.

I founded first pantheon picking up religious idols, due to all of the gold my scouts had found. This was vital for helping me also receive the first religion. I chose tithe and pagodas. My goal is to convert my entire continent and use it as a gold mine for the rest of the game.

Wonders: My capital has turned into a wonder monster. I decided early on that I wanted Petra. So, I bee-lined towards it on the tech tree. I picked up first Hanging Gardens for growth, and then Temple of Artemis for more growth. Finally, I picked up Petra in the capital, ensuring a ridiculous capital long-term. I was able to pick up Mauseleum in Graz, just for some extra gold throughout the game. I had just started National College on turn 100.

Have you done any conquering yet? If so, who?
Nope, been completely peaceful so far. I've built up basic military defense near Aztecs, as they have a large army, but they are also limited to single city right now, while I have 4. I plan to out-tech both the Aztecs and Greece, and then wipe them out in mid-to-late game.

Have you settled on a strategy for finding the continents?

No, and this is frustrating. My cities have quickly grown, and now I'm happiness blocked. I have all of my local happiness I can find, and traded with Greece and Aztecs for their space happiness. I need to find the other continent soon so that I can trade my excess gold. However, I haven't researched any ship technology yet. This was probably a mistake.

Have you settled on a grand strategy yet?
Yes I have. I plan to run a massive science game, with 4 city tradition, and then conquer all of the capitals in the later part of the game. I don't want to get bogged down with taking my whole continent early game, and letting that slow me down. If I can out-tech everyone and control the world congress, I can set myself up for a late game capital push with advanced units. I might wipe out my continent at artillery, or I might just wait for bombers for everyone. Not sure yet.

Top Bottom