News: TSG128 Announcement!

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 128
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the 128th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif, Knowtalent or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ V BNW - TSG128 Details:
Player (You): - Casimir III - Poland
Victory Condition: Science or Culture but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Deity
Civs/City-States (including player): 8/16
Map Type/Size: Pangea
Game pace: Standard

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Quick Combat, Quick Movement

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Korea and Wonders of the Ancient World DLC, Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion.

Polish Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
UA: Solidarity - You get a free social policy when you advance to the next era.

UB: Ducal Stable - Replaces Stables. Provides +15% production Production and +15 XP for Mounted Units. Each Pasture worked by this City produces +1 production and +1 gold.

UU: Winged Hussar - Heavy Mounted Unit specialized in defeating enemy mounted units. This unit is faster and more powerful than the Lancer, which it replaces. Forces defenders to retreat when it inflicts more damage than it receives.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends March 1st, 2016.

The save will be available for download on February 1st, 2016, midnight Central Standard time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

This one gives you a choice of VCs, Science or Culture. Turn based scores will be kept for both VCs for the results medals in March.

Have fun,
HR

If ruins are not mentioned, they are enabled ?

Yes, because Civ5 considers Enabled Ruins to be default settings. We only mention when they are disabled because we had to go into Advanced Settings and choose 'No Ruins' to disable them.

Thanks
HR

Will there be two medals awarded?

there will be gold, silver and bronze for each science and culture, that is should at least 3 people win with culture. each player may only submit for one VC though.

you should give a medal for highest scored loss... it is not small feat on deity :D

Deity jungle start. I'll pass :lol:

You're not kidding: Jungle, Whales, and Cotton? I hope there are better pickings 5 turns away...

It's Poland though, can anything really slow them down?

well they can't all be mining lux starts, haha. jungles and oceans deserve more love. but this is a start that can be rewarded by a little wandering too.

well they can't all be mining lux starts, haha. jungles and oceans deserve more love. but this is a start that can be rewarded by a little wandering too.

You're saying that if I do settle in place I'll want to rage quit a few turns later?

What makes Poland so powerful? 7 free social policies, assuming you reach the information age, is fine and all, but that doesn't sound all that powerful, given it's 7 spread out over 250+ turns

What makes Poland so powerful? 7 free social policies, assuming you reach the information age, is fine and all, but that doesn't sound all that powerful, given it's 7 spread out over 250+ turns

It's when those 7 arrive that matters, and how you use them. Two extra policy's in the first 100 turns is really powerful, usually you can only get 6 but with that and Oracle that makes 9.

There is no need to time hitting Renaissance with getting a social policy to open rationalism, now you can just open it and take Secularism with your next one.

You can take one more policy in Rationalism too once you hit industrial, then build/buy three factories and use the atomic and modern era free policies in an ideology to get you to victory that much faster.

So many possibilities, the freedom and flexibility is what makes it the most powerful of all UA's. 7 free social policies, half of which come within the first 150 turns, is fantastic. Only Spain on a cooked map can do better.

Hmm, I doubt we can get Oracle on Deity, but that's a good point I suppose. I guess I really need to learn more about good ways of using social policies before Rationalism opens up. Often I get a lot of them, but I tend to be annoyed, after the first three or four, that I have to waste them on something I don't feel is really worth it instead of saving it for Rationalism

Hmm, I doubt we can get Oracle on Deity, but that's a good point I suppose. I guess I really need to learn more about good ways of using social policies before Rationalism opens up. Often I get a lot of them, but I tend to be annoyed, after the first three or four, that I have to waste them on something I don't feel is really worth it instead of saving it for Rationalism

From what I've gathered, the best place for filler policies after filling is to either go right on commerce or left on patronage for Science games, and everything in Aesthetics for Culture games. Acken does a better job explaining it than I do, see here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=534745

For Culture, Aesthetics needs completed ASAP, then back to rationalism. Oracle on Deity is usually a wonder a lot of the better players can get easily, but I am always playing catch-up still instead and can never get it. Usually I don't even bother trying, but I want to start since the reward is always fantastic. It's at the point where the capital has nothing better to do than build it, and the AI is evenly matched with you before they start falling away (if you are good enough anyway lol...).

You're saying that if I do settle in place I'll want to rage quit a few turns later?

Haha, I don't think so. I think you'll find reasons to forgive the start and play some more. If you wander you may still find that your 3rd or 4th city might go there anyway.

You're not kidding: Jungle, Whales, and Cotton? I hope there are better pickings 5 turns away...

It's Poland though, can anything really slow them down?

For one of the strongest civ in the game, this handicap is appropriate.

I literally have never beaten the game on deity, and haven't tried in years, but I will take a shot at this.

Is there a prize for being conquered is the shortest possible time? :)

Top Bottom