No More Tech Tree Beelining

LeeS

Imperator
No More Tech Tree Beelining

CivFanatics Download | Steam Download

What the Mod Does:
  1. Requires all major players to research the technology tree in a 'grouped' approach instead of beelining along the top or the bottom of the tree and ignoring techs in the other half of the tree.
  2. With this mod active you can only 'headreach' one column in the techtree. If you have not completed all the techs in the 3rd column of the tech tree, you cannot research a tech in the 5th column, and so on.
  3. You can open file No More Tech Tree Beelining (v 4)\LUA\NoBeelinConfigurations.lua and edit the line
    Code:
    iColumnsBackToLook = 2
    to a larger value if desired, but be aware that changing the '2' to too large a number will be the same basic result as not running this mod.
  4. The mod is compatible with any mod that adds new technologies to the game, or that adds new eras to the game. The mod is an lua-only mod, and the methods used only activate after all other mods have loaded and made changes to the game's technologies list.
  5. Affect On Saved Games:
    • As of V4 of the mod, the mod no longer is set as "AffectsSavedGames", which means you can add and enable the mod to a game-in-progress with no ill affects to your game-in-progress. You can also disable the mod in the game's MODS menu, and no ill effects will occur: all that will happen is the normal rules for when you can research a tech will be restored.
    • If you are still playing a game with V3 of the mod, you need to finish that game-in-progress before updating to V4, since V3 was set to affect saved games.
  6. Free Technology Choices:
    • When you have a free technology choice (such as from a Policy or from constructing Great Library) the additional restrictions on your choices made by this mod are temporarily suspended until you complete your choice(s). Once you have chosen all the free techs you have been given, the rules of this mod re-assert themselves. This new ability can also be altered (ie, it can be removed) by editing the value of
      Code:
      bAnyFreeTechs = true
      to​
      Code:
      bAnyFreeTechs = false
      in the NoBeelinConfigurations.lua file.

Mod Compatibility
  • The mod should be compatible to any tech-tree-changing-mod available elsewhere on the Workshop, Civfanatics, etc.
  • The mod has been tested with PreHistoric Era Reborn, Enlightenment Era, and Future Worlds and functions fine with all of these
  • There are conflicts between PreHistoric Era Reborn and Enlightenment Era between those two mods which this mod cannot and does not fix, but this mod works just fine when there are not two or more mods also enabled that are themselves in conflict with one another.
  • mods that use dummy technologies to give an effect will be compatible so long as those dummy technologies are placed in column '0' of the tech tree or have "Disable" set to "true" in the definition of the dummy tech. I cannot possibly chase down all the possible methods that other mod-makers use to create and impliment a dummy technology, so if you find odd behaviors when this mod and some other specific mod are both enabled please let me know the link or name of the mod that appears to be in conflict and I will examine methods to resolve the conflict.
  • The mod is compatible with any mod that adds new technologies to the game
  • The mod almost certainly will conflict in some way with any other mod that restricts research in a similar manner, and may or may not conflict with those mods that stop technological research once you reach a given era.

Possible Mod Conflicts
  • EUI may or may not conflict. I suspect it will not, but have not verified.
  • CBP/CP may or may not be compatible.

Expansion Compatibility
  • I have tested and built the mod using BNW. It should be compatible with Gods and Kings and Vanilla but I have not specifically tested for that.

City-States and Barbarians
  • City-States and Barbarians neither one ever actually research anything, so the mod does not affect them except that City-States and Barbarians gain 'advancement' based on the advancement through the tech tree and eras of the major civilizations. The City-States and Barbarians 'learn technologies' based on the average of all the major players in the game.

Credits and Thanks
  • W.Howard (whoward69) for figuring out why my code was not working as I expected. Also for suggestions on making the mod better for V4 of the mod.

Included Screenshots
  • I used IGE to give techs one at a time for the 1st five screenshots to show the change in the tech-tree display as techs are rearched. The one shown in the middle of the Classical Era was from actual gameplay.
  • If you look closely at the screenshots you will see that I am running quite a few other mods, none of which are adversely affected by this mod.
Spoiler At Game Start :

Spoiler After Giving Myself Archery and The Wheel :

Spoiler After adding Animal Husbandry and Pottery :

Spoiler After Adding Mining :
Note that the 3rd Column of Techs are now Available​

Spoiler After adding Writing :
Note that while I can research Mathematics, I cannot research Drama and Poetry​

Alternate Direct Download
(via the Steam Workshop Downloader)​
  1. Just use Steam Workshop Downloader and drag or copy the downloaded xxx.civ5mod file to your Documents/My Games/Sid Meieir's Civilization 5/MODS/ folder: Steam Workshop Downloader Address for No More Tech Tree Beelining mod
  2. Start up the game and go into the MODS menu
  3. wait ~30 seconds and the mod should unpack itself and be ready to be enabled.

Version Changelog:
  • V4:
    • Removed the "Affects Saves Games" attribute from the mod. Since this mod is lua-only, and does not directly-add anything to the game, the "Affects Saved Games" was not needed
    • Added suspension of the mod's rules when a player has one or more free tech choices to make, thereby giving greater latitude to these choices, and making the Great Library Wonder (for example) a better value again when using this mod

Nicely done. I cobbled together something similar to this a while ago, but had to deal with hard-coded restrictions. I'll probably be using this from now on in all my games.

Nicely done. I cobbled together something similar to this a while ago, but had to deal with hard-coded restrictions. I'll probably be using this from now on in all my games.
Compliments are always accepted :D

I had thought about this sort of a mod myself a couple years ago, but I was trying to think how in the world to do it with XML/SQL. Dreadfully complicated to the point where I just said to myself 'Nope!'. It was only after I got comfortable with data-driven code techniques in lua that it suddenly occured to me that it was really quite doable.

Great idea again, LeeS

Just to clarify will this also apply to the AI?

EDIT: I've started a new game with "No More Tech Tree Beelining" and "Blood n Iron Extreme"(my mod)

I like it so far much more balance now IMO provided the AI are tied to the same handicap that is
nice job as always LeeS :goodjob:

Great idea again, LeeS

Just to clarify will this also apply to the AI?

EDIT: I've started a new game with "No More Tech Tree Beelining" and "Blood n Iron Extreme"(my mod)

I like it so far much more balance now IMO provided the AI are tied to the same handicap that is
nice job as always LeeS :goodjob:

Yes, applies to all players.

So glad you can switch this off! Definite need to beeline Optics

Top Bottom