[GUIDE] Introduction to Happiness in Vox Populi

tu_79

Deity
If you are new to CPP Vox Populi (CBO), it will take a while to understand what is happening with happiness.

What is happiness good for?
Up to 10 global happiness, all your city yields get a bonus. Happiness add to golden era points, so a happier empire will have more golden ages too.
Up to 10 global unhappiness city yields get a malus. From there on, revolters appear (like barbarians), and cities may secede.
Happiness is critical for any player pursuing a domination victory, because conquests and wars put a heavy toll on happiness.

How is my city going?
Inside city screen, hover to city name and wait. A tooltip will show how unhappy your city is. If using EUI you may see this tooltip hovering over the banner city in map mode. Expect to see some unhappy people.

Why are they unhappy?
CPP Vox Populi citizens are jealous. If they see other cites get better things per citizen, they get angry. They are also unhappy if they see their working tiles plundered, if the city is isolated and if they are citizens conquered of other civilizations. Religion, war weariness and ideologies are a source of unhappiness too.

How can I make them happier?

You can look for things that can make them happier, like luxuries and happiness buildings, and you can remove what make them unhappy, checking the happiness tooltip. Some of the happiness bonuses are global, so you won't be able to see them in the city screen, hover over golden age points in the top bar of the map screen instead to see a description of the net global happiness of your civilization.

Ok, guess I better go after luxuries.
Beware luxury happiness bonus is proportional to city population. They are not a must have, like in BNW, but they are good nonetheless. You can get them by having any improvement over the luxuries inside your territory, or you can trade them with other civs.
Some buildings and wonders also give happiness, and if you go religious, some beliefs also grant some happiness, but it's somewhat scarce (unless you manage to stock them all).

How can I remove their unhappiness, then?

Isolation, war weariness and plundered unhappiness is pretty straightforward, make a city connection, make peace and repair tiles with workers. Rule over other civ citizens needs to build a specific building that remove their unhappiness (consulate?).
For other kinds of unhappiness, I need to elaborate.

Jealousy.
It depends on the mean yield per citizen and the Era. As you have more citizens it is more difficult to work on good tiles, so if you just grow your city for the sake of growing and forget about infrastructure, your citizens are going to be unhappy. If your city isn't well developed for the Era you are in, they'll ask for improvements too!
For science and culture, just try to improve science and culture city yield. For gold, make the city gain more gold per turn. Beware that some buildings offer gold per citizen, so you might be tempted to increase population, but remember that needs increase with pop size. Defence is a little tricky. You can improve it with a garrisoned unit, the stronger the better and you can build defensive buildings like walls that directly increase city defence.
Some buildings directly decrease the city needs, like barracks that reduce defence needs and library that reduce literacy needs, so they are worthy by themselves.

Religious unrest.
One way to remove religious unrest is to use missionaries and inquisitors in your own cities so every citizen follows the same faith. A cheaper one is to build shrines and temples, but it will take a while to effect: The higher your religious pressure, the sooner your citizens will follow the same faith. Another way is picking Rationalism policy tree, where one of its policies makes your cities completely ignore religious unrest, although it comes a little late.

Ideology unrest.
When civs that share your ideology (or you yourself) aren't faring well, you get unhappiness. So either join the winners party or help civs that share your ideology while hurting others. By faring well I mean scoring. Read merill's further explanation:
Spoiler :
ideological unhappiness is tied to tourism influence. If your population admire greatly an other civilization, they want to share their ideology.

I can't remove unhappiness completely.

Don't worry, some unhappiness is expected in every city. What matters is the net global happiness. Every city has a local happiness made of the happiness that is produced in the city minus the unhappiness of the city. Then, your civilization has a global happiness made of the sum of all local happiness and any global happiness you may have. This is the global happiness that is used for the empire bonuses and golden age points. Also don't panic if your global happiness is negative; as long as you cities aren't revolting you can play the way you feel more confident. Address happiness only if it becomes an issue or if you are pursuing more golden eras (happiness over 10 doesn't give anything else but golden era points).

You forgot to mention ideological unrest from wars. Also score doesn't have anything to do with ideological pressure, at least directly.

One thing I'd like to note : You don't need to have 0 unhapiness in your cities.
It's cool to have as much hapiness as you can, but don't focus too much on it.

Especially if you build a world wonder, you may want to focus your citizen on high prod tiles and reduce your culture/science/gold yields, giving you unhappiness : havign a world wonder clearly worth the temporary maluses.

One thing I'd like to note : You don't need to have 0 unhapiness in your cities.
It's cool to have as much hapiness as you can, but don't focus too much on it.

Especially if you build a world wonder, you may want to focus your citizen on high prod tiles and reduce your culture/science/gold yields, giving you unhappiness : havign a world wonder clearly worth the temporary maluses.

Oh, yes, I was correcting this while you were writing.

Some more things, from memory:
  • ideological unhappiness is tied to tourism influence. If your population admire greatly an other civilization, they want to share their ideology.
  • to reduce unhappiness, you can increase the yield per pop or reduce the need.
    1. to increase the yield(for science/culture/gold): more buildings (mainly flat yield, some pop scaling yield), more improvements (villages, GP), trade routes.
    2. to decrease the need, some buildings and some wonders do it. Need per pop increase with area era and city pop (sightly).
  • to make them happier (and less unhappier), there are a good number of policies.
  • They're war weariness when you fight long wars, can be checked in the tourism/ideology "happiness" panel. Didn't encounter it yet, but I see AI suffer from it sometimes.
  • Revolters can't appear, and cities can't secede before 20 unhappiness, from civilopedia (not up-to-date, from february):
    Because your Unhappiness has reached 20, the Empire is is in revolt! Cities may abandon your empire and flip to the civilization that is most culturally influential over your people, and uprisings may occur with rebel (barbarian) units appearing in your territory!

I'll refer to your ideological unhappiness explanation.
Didn't know needs increase with city area, thought it was only on pop size, are you sure?
I never noticed war weariness. So long my happiness is positive I don't take much care. But that's been said before, so it may be true.
I remember to have seen revolters with unhappiness between 10 and 20 (I could be mistaken, I also have tested some JDF mods), and from 20 cities start seceding. I didn't considered it worthy to be so specific in a for dumb guide.

I'm trying to not be too specific, but I want it to be accurate too. (And I am also secretly training for my C1 English test)

Didn't know needs increase with city area, thought it was only on pop size, are you sure?

Nay, it's my bad English. I wanted to say "era".
But it could be "number of tech", i didn't know for sure.

I remember to have seen revolters with unhappiness between 10 and 20
Maybe. It's a long time ago since i had that many unhappiness.

I'm trying to not be too specific, but I want it to be accurate too.
It's your topic, do as you want.
Using trade-route now can be important for happiness, unlike in vanilla, so I believe we should say that.

I'm uneasy with this sentence, I find it too specific (and there are not that much per-citizen yield now):
For gold, some buildings offer gold per citizen, so you might think that growing the city will give more gold, but even if it is the case, it just will make other unhappiness more difficult to control

Maybe. It's a long time ago since i had that many unhappiness.

Pretty sure enemy spies in your cities while in negative Happiness can spawn revolters, but I haven't seen them spawn normally. But then again I haven't been in negative happiness in like 20 games.

Hi Guys, new to CP and CBP. I'm trying to figure out the happiness system and hovering over the city name doesn't seem to give me any happiness info. Any suggestions?

Not using the EUI

Did you try in city screen or in map mode?

In the city screen. I hovered the cursor over the city name in the city screen and didn't seem to see any happiness info.

In the city screen. I hovered the cursor over the city name in the city screen and didn't seem to see any happiness info.

Hover over the happiness info on the left-hand side. If you don't have a happiness info section, you've got a custom civ that is overwriting the city view lua file.

G

Hover over the happiness info on the left-hand side. If you don't have a happiness info section, you've got a custom civ that is overwriting the city view lua file.

G

While using the CBP along with CP in the city screen on the left side i see the # of citizens, then Food, then Production, Gold, Science, Faith, Tourism and Culture but no Happiness.

Hover does work for all of these listings.

When I hover over the Happiness number listed at the top of the screen it does not indicate reasons for unhappiness.

I have never used the EUI.

I also noticed that culture overview is kind of odd. the your culture tab does not show all cities and playing as Poland only lists Krakow, not Warsaw.

While using the CBP along with CP in the city screen on the left side i see the # of citizens, then Food, then Production, Gold, Science, Faith, Tourism and Culture but no Happiness.

Hover does work for all of these listings.

When I hover over the Happiness number listed at the top of the screen it does not indicate reasons for unhappiness.

I have never used the EUI.

I also noticed that culture overview is kind of odd. the your culture tab does not show all cities and playing as Poland only lists Krakow, not Warsaw.

No, it's not in the left panel. It's hovering over the city name itself. Central upper label.

No, it's not in the left panel. It's hovering over the city name itself. Central upper label.

And doing that does nothing for me.

Top Bottom