Marx's Thread of Designs

Groucho Marx

Duke of Savoy
Just another random collectivization of thoughts of this subforum.

France

Louis XV

UA: Pacte de Famille: Whenever a Declaration of Friendship is signed with another Civilization that share your Religion immediately enter into Defensive Pact. Whenever a Cultural Great Person is born they may be expended to adopt a Social Policy.

UU: Irish Brigade: Replaces the Musketman. Although much costlier it earns a 50% Combat Bonus if it starts off its turn by attacking but may not use Movement Points thereafter. May cause Cities that it are under siege by it to enter Resistance.

UB: Intendant: Replaces the Constabulary. ???

Vichy France

Philippe Petain

UA: Collaborationism: Whenever you declare an allaince with a Civilization all Social Policy and Ideological Tenants that they have adopted cost 10% less Culture. Earn a free Military Unit whenever you denounce another Civilization.

UU: Milice: Replaces the Infantry. Milice may be expended to immediately reduce excess Unhappiness in annexed Cities and generate Culture when doing so. May use Enemy Roads.

UU: Latécoère 298: Replaces the Bomber. Has increased Range for every other Air Unit stationed in the same City as it. Starts off with Air Repair.

Hungary

Miklos Horothy

UA: White Terror: Military Units that are garrisoned in Unhappy Cities passively earn Experience. Ideological Pressure is decreased for every captured City of a Civilization of an opposing Ideology.

UU: Pronay Battalion: Replaces Infantry. Earn +1 Movement for 5 Turns whenever they capture a Civilian Unit. Whenever a high-level Pronay Battalion is disbanded they provide a boost of Happiness in a City of your choice.

UU: Toldi: Replaces the Tank. Is cheaper to build for every active Declaration of War. Has a +50% Combat Bonus against Infantry Units but is penalized when fighting other Armored Units.

Guatemala

Manuel Estrada Cabrera

UA: Banana Republic: Plantation Resources are doubled in quantity when improved. Trade Agreements with other Civilizations that involve Luxury Resources function as Defensive Pacts for their duration.

UU: Mozo: Replaces the Worker. May be upgraded to an Infantry Unit at the cost of Gold which scales for every Era.

UB: Minervan Temple: Replaces the Garden. In addition to Great Person generation whenever a Unit or Building is purchased in this City it begins a We Love the King Day. Does not require a River.

United Kingdom

Edward VII

UA: Splendid Isolation: Cities founded on another Continent are instantly connected to the Capital. For every active War that you are not involved in or Civilizations that are neutral with you earn Golden Age Points.

UB: Music Hall: Replaces the Opera House. In addition to its base yields the Music Hall has an additional slot for a Great Work of Music which when filled decrease excess Unhappiness during Golden Ages by 50%.

UU: Nordenfelt Gun: Replaces the Gatling Gun. Much less costlier to train. Has a much lower Combat Strength and starts of with the Volley Promotion. May move after attacking.

Russian Republic

Alexander Kerensky

UA: February Revolution: May switch between Ideologies without incurring 1 Turn of Anarchy or the loss of any Ideological Tenants. Strategic Resources increase the Production of Military Units that require them.

UU: Cossack: Replaces the Cavalry. Being much stronger the Cossack has a 25% Combat Bonus against Wounded Units. Can move after attacking. Has no Maintenance Cost.

UB: Soldiers Committee: Replaces the Constabulary. Provides a boost of Happiness in Cities that have not produced Military Units in 5 Turns or more during War. Has no Maintenance Cost

I like the concept of Phillip V's Legitimacy struggle, but I think the actual effects do rather fall flat, they don't really feel like stuff we haven't seen before, which is a shame, some minor changes for new things could make that civilization more appealing. It does look like a good, cohesive design in theory though.

Also, I'm not too sold on the uniques, the Sociedad Economica doesn't sound like something particularly relevant to this era (or any really, the term is very generic), an Intendencia UB would feel more fitting here.

As for the unique unit, Dragoon also doesn't really feel spanish at all, not to mention having an industrial era unique for an early enlightenment era leader is weird to me, I think something like Batidor or Demi-Lancer could go there, but really, Spain has such a wealth of historical military units that using something seen in various places elsewhere feels like a waste.

For the Legitimacy struggle, I might make some kind of diplomatic relation that is relevant in both single and multi (DOF yes, Denunciation no. Etc.)
I think the Spanish Succession was a very brilliant and creative way to go with the Enlightenment prompt, though, I recently learned about how important it is in European political history. I just usually don't like the introduction of entirely new game mechanics civ by civ to accommodate. You could do something with exports, or conquered cities, or trade routes, or defensive pacts... Even open borders could be used creatively with it.

Haven't been active for a while so I stockpiled a few civs for the thread, Hungary and the UK as well as make minor changes to Vichy France.

I like the concept of Phillip V's Legitimacy struggle, but I think the actual effects do rather fall flat, they don't really feel like stuff we haven't seen before, which is a shame, some minor changes for new things could make that civilization more appealing. It does look like a good, cohesive design in theory though.

Also, I'm not too sold on the uniques, the Sociedad Economica doesn't sound like something particularly relevant to this era (or any really, the term is very generic), an Intendencia UB would feel more fitting here.

As for the unique unit, Dragoon also doesn't really feel spanish at all, not to mention having an industrial era unique for an early enlightenment era leader is weird to me, I think something like Batidor or Demi-Lancer could go there, but really, Spain has such a wealth of historical military units that using something seen in various places elsewhere feels like a waste.

Sorry for the late reply as I have been preoccupied with educational affairs but I'm in accordance with you on the actual effects as honestly being new to the modding community I really have very little knowledge of what has been done already in terms of effects (all I really use is JFD's and a couple of Tarcisio's civilizations.)

As for the Soceidad Economica while it is generic in its naming were actual legitimate business associations in Spain during the Enlightenment.

Regarding the Dragoon I honestly couldn't think else more fitting for an Enlightenment Era unit. Although not unique it was certainly thematic for this period. Also thank you for notifying me that I wrote cavalry when originally it was supposed to be a Lancer replacement.

If there is any more feedback or suggestions you wish to return please feel free to do so.

Update: Added Guatemala under Manuel Estrada Cabrera. It was interesting to focus on this small Latin American regime that managed to stay in power due to its economic agreements with some fruit company in which it sole existence relied on the exploitation of natural resources.

I quite like the Guatemala design. I think its pretty synergetic with the gold and trade bonuses, combined with the bonuses from purchases. Though the UA is a bit to powerful IMO: from experience, most of the civs who agree to trade with you will never sign a defensive pact with you...

Top Bottom