RNES2 - Strategy or Diplomacy

RoddyVR

Veteran Board NESer
This is a board NES, but i've changed some of the basic components a bit. So even if you're a veteran of Board NESs please read these rules carefully. They may seem complicated at first, but i'm prety sure it wont take long to get used to them. Ask questions if you have doubts about anything.

The Map only shows who owns a territory, and IF there are units there, not how many there are.
You know what your forces are.
You know what the forces in territories bordering your lands are.

Here's how the game works:
1. You sign up.
-A. Pick a starting province.
-B. Give a name to your Nation and the ruler (if you want).
-C. Pick a color too. I'll probably make it a 16 color map (smaller file size), so i may not get the exact color you want, but i'll try.

2. Here's what happens for every turn.
-A. Everyone (hopefully) sends orders.
--i. Tell me what units you want to buy and where each is built.
--ii. Tell me which of your province you want to pay to upgrade.
--iii. Give me orders for every unit that you want to move.
-B. I post a list of all world conflicts, and a map representing the current view of the world.
-C. I send each of you a PM that lists these things.
--i. Your income, upkeep, and money you have for spending this turn.
--ii. Your forces in each of your provinces (and seas).
--iii. The forces in territories bordering the lands you own.

Economy:
Before first turn, and after every updtae, you get gold for every territory you own.
Every terriotry has its own value. Each starts at 4 gold. Island territories are no different from regular territories. Every battle in a province brings the income from that province down by one gold. You can pay double the income from a province to raise its income by 1 gold a turn.

Upkeep:
Every unit you own costs 1 gold per turn. Every province you own can pay the upkeep for one Army that is on land. Upkeep for Battleships, Transports and Armies on Transports have to be paid in gold.

Units:
Armies are the land units, cost 3 gold. Can move to any territory adjacent to the one it starts the turn in, except it cant move to an occupied enemy territory on the turn its bought.

BattleShips ('ships' if you want) are the sea fighting units, cost 5 gold. Will automaticaly attack any enemy fleet trying to unload armies onto your lands. Can be ordered to attack other ships any turn except when first built. Can move to any sea territory adjacent to one it started turn in.

Transports are the sea units used to move Armies over sea. Cost 4 gold. Can move to any sea territory adjacent to one it started turn in. Can carry up to 4 armies at a time. Can NOT do any sort of attacks. Empty transports will be taken as casualties before Battleships. Loaded transports will only start being sunk after all of your Battleships in the Sea territory are sunk.

Loading and Unloading an army to/from a transport uses up the movement for the army. so an army can NOT load and unload on the same turn. The transport's movement is independent of the army loadings/unloadings though, so the transport can move before or after armies load onto or off of it.

Information warfare:
Every turn you will get a list of all your territories with a list of the units in them.
You will also get a list of units for every territory that is adjacent to lands you own. This includes seas that are next to your lands, but not seas that are next to seas that you have units in.

Diplomacy, Agreements, Deals, Gifts and Promises
All agreements between players are paper thin. There are no ROPs allowed. Your forces can only be in YOUR territories (or in seas).
Players/Countires can give eachother any of the following:
Territories. (including all forces there in).
Money. (instant credit transfer, no waiting period).
Units. (at sea or moved to the recieving players territory).

If you made an agreement for trade, you'd better trust your trading partner, cause you can only GIVE stuff, and hope he GIVES in return as promised. Your orders cant say "i'm trading this for this".
When giving a territory, it will be handed over to the player during the update. All your units that didnt leave the territory will be handed over with the territory.
When recieving money remember that you could be lied to. so if you spend money that you THINK you are getting, please spend it seperatly from the money that you earn yourself. so that if you dont recieve the money (are betrayed) i will know what NOT to buy in your orders.
When giving Units, please be carefull so i dont confuse it with an attack. Giving ships is easy. If you give armies at sea, you have to give the transports they are on ALSO. If you want to give a neighbor some of your armies, then order them to move to his territories and put in your order VERY clearly that you are giving the armies to him. Since once they are his armies they can no longer be on YOUR lands, they have to move in order to change owners.

I wont prohibit it, but i would greatly appreciate it if you guys dont give gifts to another country AND ATTACK that country in the same turn, cause that can get confusing for me. if you do do this PLEASE BE VERY CLEAR in your orders. i dont know what you might be thinking.

here is the map i'll be using.
221 territories. think its a bit big? could be.....

Nation List:

Nation: Australia
Player: Jason The King
Home: NTE (Islands)
Color: Grass Green

Nation: Africa
Player: Nivi
Home: CHA (Africa)
Color: Red

Nation: Texas
Player: Azale
Home: NOL (N. America)
Color: Blue

Nation: Bolivia
Player: Erez87
Home: BOL (S. America)
Color: Pink

Nation: Egypt
Player: Puglover
Home: CAI (Africa)
Color: Yellow

Nation: France
Player: Stalin006
Home: ROU (Europe)
Color: Swamp Green

Nation: Persia
Player: Kennelly
Home: KHO (M. East)
Color: Light Blue

Nation: Ching Ling Warriors
Player: Emu
Home: XIN (Asia)
Color: Cyan

Nation: Macau
Player: Plexus
Home: HK (Asia)
Color: Dark Green

Nation: Britain
Player: UKnemesis
Home: LON (Europe)
Color: Orange

Nation: Germany
Player: Gecko1234
Home: DRE (Europe)
Color: Gray

Nation: Northern Imperium
Player: SKILORD
Home: YAK (Asia)
Color: Purple

Nation: Canada
Player: Demetrias
Home: TOR (N. America)
Color: Dirty light Blue

Battle system
Went back to the Rnes1 system, but gave it a bit of a tweak.

Every fighting Unit in the battle rolls a 10 sided die.
If neither side is 2 times as big as the other, then rolls stay as they are.
If either side is 2 times as big as the other, then the bigger side adds 1 to its rolls, and the smaller side subtracts 1 from its rolls.
If either side is 3 times as big as teh other, then the bigger side adds 2 to its rolls, and the smaller side subtracts 2 from its rolls.
If either side is 4 times as big as the other, then the bigger side adds 3 to its rolls, and the smaller side subtracts 3 from its rolls.
If either side is 5 times as big as the other, then the bigger side adds 4 to its rolls, and the smaller side subtracts 4 from its rolls.
If either side is 6 times as big as the other, then the bigger side adds 5 to its rolls, and the smaller side subtracts 5 from its rolls.

After the bonus and penalty is applied:
all 6s and higher are hits and each kills one unit of the oposite force.
all 5s and lower are misses. they dont do anything.

The whole process repeats untill one side has no units left.

Where does the fight happen?
When two armies are given orders that will make them "walk by each other".
Look at the MOS and LEN province (in Russia). Lets say they are owned by oposing nations. if both nations tell their armies in those provinces to attack the other (from MOS to LEN and from LEN to MOS) then the attacking forces will meet BETWEEN the two provinces and have a fight there, then the winner will go on to have ANOTHER fight in the destination province.
So when you send two attacking armies from different provinces into the same province, remember that the defender COULD fight just half your forces if he attacks out instead of sitting quietly waiting for you.

Spliting of Fleets not allowed
Ships of different nations can coexist peacefully in a sea even if the nations are at war. In order for a fight to happen at sea, atleast one of the sides has to order their ships to attack (or if one side orders a marine invasion, the other side's ships will automaticaly intercept).
However, when a battle does happen at sea ALL units of both nations are included in the combat. You cannot order a couple of your transports to "stay away" from the fight, just like you cant order them to "go around" enemy battleships.
If you want some of your ships to avoid a sea battle, keep them away from area's where you expect a sea battle.
To reinforce this point:
After a Sea Battle, ALL of the ships of one of the sides will be gone from that sea territory.
The only exception is when the last battleships of both sides are sunk at the same time but there are still loaded transports left in the sea.

Battle losses at sea
In certain situations the order of the units lost in a sea battle can greatly affect the outcome of the battle, so here is what will happen in a sea battle.
The battle is fought by BattleShips, they roll the dice and their numbers determine the bonuses/penalties. When taking hits from the enemy however, EMPTY Transports will be taken as casualties BEFORE Battleships. After all the Empty Transports are sunk, Battleships will be sunk (just like fighting on land), and after the battle is over, all the loaded transports for the losing side will also be sunk, with all the armies on board being lost also.

Conflict over Neutral Territories
If two nations send armies to the same unclaimed territory on the same turn then:
If one of the nations has sent more armies, they will get the territory, and the other nation's armies retreat to where they came from.
If both nations send the same number of armies to claim the neutral territory then a battle happens, but the loser's army does not die, instead it retreats back to where it came from.

Suggestions, Hints and "Q and A".

When you sign up, it does not have to be in a "capitol" province. like it doesnt have to be Paris, or London, or Beijing. It can be Marsailes or Ireland or Tibet. any province at all.

Your countries initial Growth will be limited mostly by your closest neighbors. So chose a territory that doesnt already have others near it, but not too far from everything that someone might try to 'squeeze in' next to you.

I'm hoping to get somewhere from 10 to 16 players in this game. so think of 'your' territory of being anywhere around 13 to 21 provinces.

just FYI, there are these many provinces on each continent.

27 in N. America
24 in S. America (some in central America, and Cuba and Haiti)
27 in Africa (including MAD)
42 in Europe (ends at SEV, MOS, LEN and KOM)
41 in Asia (not including Japan or India)
32 in M. East (from europe and africa, east all the way though India)
28 in Islands (Australia, Japan and alll the islands all over the wolrd that aint included in another continent)

Looks fun, I will start as India in province MDH.

Great twist to the board game rules set, Roddy! You've done it again ;).

Jason

Looks nice.
But it looks HUGE. it will take you ages to update.
I'll start in CHA.
Name: Africa
Leader: just use my name untill ill decide.
Color: Red

I will start at NOL

my nation will be called Texas!:D

my only real preference colorwise is ordinary blue.

I start in BOL in South America.
My nation name shall be Bolivia, and colors will be pink.

Egypt for me. CAI province. Yellow.

I'll start as Persians in KHO.

Nope!

too many reds. some of you didnt pick a color, so i did it for you.

i think that i might allow people to change thier starting locations. because i have a feeling some people are gonna get squished prety badly.

for those worried about the size of the updates, dont.
as long as i get enought players (8 already, so we're getting there) and most of you send orders for most turns, i wont give up on the game. even if the updates did start taking 3 hours to do, i'd still do them.
however, they WONT start taking that much time.
i've made a database that has all the provinces, and which province is connected to which. this thing willeasily keep the info for the game in a neat and organized way. it will also generate the text for the PMs i send you with the info you get every turn (your units and those around you).

i will be VERY surprised if this thing (even at full swing) will take more then an hour to update. Unlike Rnes1 however, because i cant take the database with me to work, and because i cant just use a copy of it, i wont be able to do the updates from there. so it either happens before i go to sleep, or it waits another day.
for those that want to be able to anticipate the updates, i'm on eastern US time. and I get home as early as 6:20PM, and go to sleep as late as midnight. so any time in there (mondays through fridays) i'll be doing the update if i have enough orders. on weekends (and if i skip work for some reason) its just a matter of when i have enough orders.

considering that for every update, you each will get a PM, then you have to log on to see the info, maybe propose some diplomacy, then wait for an answer and then only do you orders again, the updates might be only as often as ever 2-4 days.
at the beggining i'm hoping they'll go faster, especialy before nations start to touch borders.

Back now.

I'll take Britain(LON), colour doesn't matter lol.

Nemesis

Nation: Macau
Player: Plexus
Home: HK (E. Asia)
Color: #009900 [0,153,0] (Green)

alrighty, thats 10 players now. so those that havent sent orders do so. and we can get this game going.

as far as i can tell the middle east and southeastern asia are a bit heavy in "population" but the northern asia and europe are prety empty. i'd also like it if someone were to take Australia so that all those islands around there dont just fall to one of the asians.

i guess i should mention that everyone has the 4 gold they get for their starting province, and no units. so your best option at this point is build an army and claim another provicne.
you could build a transport, but what the hell you gonna transprot with it ;)

Top Bottom