City Gun

Hunter

Civ Addict
Well this is almost a replacement for my earlier firebase.
This unit was designed around the large guns found in cities during the last century. It has however very specific flags needed to achieve optimal usage from the AI.

Flags and Stats needed:
Remove the checkmark from the Go To box
make the bombard higher than the Artillery
The range longer than the artillery
Rate of Fire 3-4
Operational range equal to paratrooper
Check make in zone of control
Check make in bombard effects
Load box checked
Bombard box checked
Airdrop box checked
Foot unit, ranged attack animation, and lethal sea bombardment flags

The most important flags and stats are the removal of the go to check mark and the foot unit flag. The reason is the AI still treats this unit as any artillery unit as long as you do not have the IMMOBILE flag selected. This unit should be available at the time of replaceable parts, making it’s air drop ability only available later with the advent of airports.
Giving it defensive stats is not recommended since without defensive stats it creates a unique tactical unit that must be protected. It can be placed by boats along coast lines to control major sea ways but It’s capture can seriously change the tide of war. With the foot unit flag it can then later be placed anywhere on the map with a helicopter (The Ai does seem to treat it as a paratrooper however I have only seen it used once.)
These stats are recommended so as not to unbalance the current game setup by creating a situation where the AI will build a multiple of these in one city, or only these instead of artillery.
enjoy:)

EDIT: Check the artillery box as well

City Gun

Attachments

• citygun.jpg
    citygun.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 5,374
O I should also say that it can be called City defences since that is why it is so large and has a outer wall with bunkers. Well anyway have fun if you like it. :)

:goodjob: YES,YES,I've been waiting for this since the game came out and if the AI uses it and uses it the right way,I'm in 7th heaven:love::goodjob:
The artillery box in AI Strategies should be checked,right?!

Kick-ass unit! I tested it out with a range of 4 and 18 power/5 rate of fire. Works great. I changed the gun sound though and renamed it "Coastal Gun".

As an alternative to the airdrop idea which was good, I make it unbuildable and each player gets one at the start of the game between their core cities. It is capturable. The reason I did this is because I'm concerned that ai will either not build them at all, only stack them up in cities (most probable), or puke them all over the land turning the terrain into a silly field of guns (capturable so not destroyed by fighting).

@Dom Pedro II and Wyrmshadow
Glad you like it :)

@ nagelfetisch

Very good piont yes The artillery box in AI Strategies should be checked. I have only done a few AI tests but so far it seems positive.

@ unscratchedfoot

Good Ideas:)

Hmm, I wonder If I can make this unit fit inbetween the Trebuchet and the Railroad Gun (AKA Dora)

Most people would be upset that you bumped a thread over a year old, but I actually havent seen this unit before. . . :D

- GIDustin

GIDustin said:
Most people would be upset that you bumped a thread over a year old, but I actually havent seen this unit before. . . :D

- GIDustin

Why?? Is there some unwrittin rule or something (not to be offensive just wondering) :hmm:

Yes. If the thread was bumped up just to say "Good job!" or something like that... but you've actually asked a question, so I'd say in this particular case, you're alright. ;)

here you go Timelord. These are the Large and Small pcx files and the units_32.pcx file. I am not sure if other pcx files were made but hope mine will work for you. Perhaps others have some that may be better.
...and BTW, nothing wrong with asking a question and personally, I believe there is also nothing wrong with thanking a unit creator and or praising a unit at any time but if many people did that it would cause big problems with the New Unit Posts getting lost in it all. :)
here is the zip:

Attachments

• Citygun_pcx_files.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 244
Top Bottom