IGN article May 25th

Eagle Pursuit

Per Scribendum, Volo
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/25/civilization-6s-new-game-changer-features
On Builders"
Beach says the limited uses created balance improvements. “Players playing on a high difficulty found that stealing workers from another civ or a city state was a great strategy, because they were around for the rest of the game. With charges, they’re not around long, so it’s not worth it.”
City Screens:
city-view screen has finally been completely eliminated – clicking on a city displays all the relevant information (such as citizen work assignments) directly on the world map.

Regarding Civics:
The cards I saw included (among others) bonuses like a +5 attack rating boost against barbarians, or a 50% production bonus for producing Classical-era ranged or melee units. For economic bonuses, I could choose between options like +1 additional production top all cities or increased income from trade routes.

With the selection of cards I’d unlocked in the early game, including a few wildcards that were largely focused on generating points toward unlocking Great People, that system could allow for some interestingly specialized builds.

On Great People:
Speaking of Great People, I unlocked a single Great Scientist during my run, and it revealed an interesting reworking of that system. One historical figure of each category is available at a time, and when you earn enough points in science, engineering, military, etc, you can either elect to recruit that great person or – if you don’t like that person’s specific bonuses – hold onto those points until someone else takes them and exposes the next Great Person in that category.

Each Great Person has a specific individual bonus set.

Diplomacy:
All of this is on top of the new diplomacy systems, which begin with a new option when you first encounter a new civilization: you can invite them to visit your capital, uncovering the map around your home city for them and generating good diplomatic vibes in return. (You have to be invited to their capital to uncover it on your map - it’s not a two-way street.) It’s nice to have a new decision to make when first encountering someone on the map other than declaring war or saying “Okay, bye!”

sending delegations (for a gold cost), establishing trade, espionage, setting up embassies, or giving gifts. Leveling up that relationship (over five stages, as the system currently exists) takes you from basic-level information about declarations of war and building wonders all the way up to seeing not just a leader’s randomized hidden agenda, but also which victory condition they’re pursuing, military operations they’re considering, and deals they’re making with other factions.

America:
I first encountered America’s President Teddy Roosevelt, whose Big Stick motive makes him act aggressively toward anyone who bullies city-states on his continent.
City-States:

each City-State has a set of goals that can be accomplished in any order, such as destroying a nearby barbarian encampment or establishing a trade route with them. Accomplishing one or two of these tasks earns you increasing bonuses from that City-State, but accomplishing three makes you that City-State’s ally,

Tech Trading:

If you’re wondering: no, there’s no tech trading.

The great person one is interesting; it seems to be saying that different great people, even of the same type, will have different bonuses. So Newton and Einstein will provide different bonuses. Am I reading that right?

The great person one is interesting; it seems to be saying that different great people, even of the same type, will have different bonuses. So Newton and Einstein will provide different bonuses. Am I reading that right?

That's how I am seeing it. Although, it could be different Eureka Moments. Like Newton has a bonus to Physics and Einstein has a bonus to Atomic Theory.

At first glance:

The good: The Worker -> Builder rework probably needed to happen, local happiness desperately needed to happen, and the civics system sounds promising.

Could be good, could be bad -> New diplo/city-state systems. Have to see implementation to pass judgment here.

The bad: Great Person design...oh God midgame rerolling for days. You know there's going to be a sequence on these that's at least highly optimal if not flat out broken.

sending delegations (for a gold cost), establishing trade, espionage, setting up embassies, or giving gifts. Leveling up that relationship (over five stages, as the system currently exists) takes you from basic-level information about declarations of war and building wonders all the way up to seeing not just a leader’s randomized hidden agenda, but also which victory condition they’re pursuing, military operations they’re considering, and deals they’re making with other factions.

This sounds super good.

At first glance:

The good: The Worker -> Builder rework probably needed to happen, local happiness desperately needed to happen, and the civics system sounds promising.

Could be good, could be bad -> New diplo/city-state systems. Have to see implementation to pass judgment here.

The bad: Great Person design...oh God midgame rerolling for days. You know there's going to be a sequence on these that's at least highly optimal if not flat out broken.

Or not reroll? Can't fault the game for that. But I don't like the deck of card system for great people. It adds some strategy but I think it tickles the worst kinds of ocd with some players

The article seemed to imply that the Order for the GPS List was fixed, but you could save GP points. So, a) No re-rolling the deck, but 2) Hopefully no static strategy of always rushing/holding for the same few GP. We shall see. Sounds cool, albeit hard to balance.

Article doesn't clarify either way. The order might be randomized game to game and it may be we don't know what bonuses follows the top GP card until it is taken and the next GP in that category is revealed.

Article doesn't clarify either way. The order might be randomized game to game and it may be we don't know what bonuses follows the top GP card until it is taken and the next GP in that category is revealed.

Read closer :).

"It should be noted that card unlocks are not randomized, so there will always be a specific order you can follow to get the build that you want."

Hummm... Great People systems seems kite similar to the Founding Fathers system in Colonization (at least, the one based on Civ IV).

And it's been a while, but I have to say when GP appeared on Civ V, I did think it would work better in a system like that. So it is a bit of wait and see, but I think I like this rework.

Read closer :).

"It should be noted that card unlocks are not randomized, so there will always be a specific order you can follow to get the build that you want."

I think that's talking about your civic cards. Which makes sense. GP segment follows that and aren't referred to as cards by the author though the mechanic sounds a lot like a deck of cards.

The article was pretty clear, that quote was in the section talking about policy cards that come via the civic tree (no surprise, wouldn't expect building or unit unlocks to be on different techs each game). Plus, nowhere are great people referred to as "cards".

The article was pretty clear, that quote was in the section talking about policy cards that come via the civic tree (no surprise, wouldn't expect building or unit unlocks to be on different techs each game). Plus, nowhere are great people referred to as "cards".

Right it's pretty clear the civic cards unlock in a specific order.

It's not clear if the GP order is radom or static. I suspect it's random and they could always build in anti cheat mechanics where the seeding changes even between turns to avoid a player rerolling to get the perfect sequence of GPs. So it could go either way though I think fixed order is a very bad idea. Even randomized game to game is a bad idea. The seeding and order should change randomly turn to turn to completely discourage reloading

Oh, you guys make a good point! I did indeed jump paragraphs. Yep, article is more vague than I thought on the GP order list.

Regarding GP, I could be wrong, but the impression I get is that when the player accumulates a certain number of GP points, they will get the option of "hiring" or "rejecting" a GP. So the system will be similar to civ5 except that players can now reject a GP if they don't want that particular bonus and want to gamble that the next GP will have a more useful bonus, instead of always getting a GP and just using the GP for something.

^ allowing players to save gp points allow for them spend them later all at once. This leads to temptation to get the ideal sequence of GPs. Hence the discussion on whether the GP order is set or randomized. I personally feel it is the latter. But would go further and suggest random seeds be introduced even within a game so players can't use prior knowledge to roll the game back X turns and steal the great gp the AI got

I hope GPs aren't randomly generated. I like to plan the game out. And a lot of people like Hall of Fame challenges. You can re-roll a bad start after 10 turns with little pain. After 100? more pain.

Or not reroll? Can't fault the game for that. But I don't like the deck of card system for great people. It adds some strategy but I think it tickles the worst kinds of ocd with some players

It's a potential problem for the standard competition formats if the GP wombo-combo is powerful enough.

HoF resolves down to: "Great, now I get to reroll for terrain, play it out to the random combo, and reroll if I don't get it."

As the random combo becomes more powerful, GotM increasingly substitutes luck for skill when determining a winner.

Neither of these results is particularly desirable. It's possible that things will be reasonably balanced and we won't experience a problem, but experience would suggest that with a new system like this it's pretty likely that there will be something there to break.

It's not clear if the GP order is random or static.

Either way it's potentially a problem. If it's a fixed ordering, then the luck factor is whether or not the AIs pull the GPs in the order necessary for the player to sequence things optimally. If not, then it's just a dice roll.

Top Bottom