Skeptics watching Obama's Hiroshima visit for an apology

Hiroshima was an immoral attack but I dont consider Soetoro's opinion valid anyway. His presence in the White House is a national disgrace. However we should also remember that there were 23 Allied POW's in the city at the time who also perished along with thousands of children and civilians.

The title of that report is completely incomprehensible.

Obama isn't going to apologize for nuking Japan. He's going to raise the profile of the anti-nuke proliferation cause. Personally, I wouldn't have gone at all. But that's me.

And if he did apologize, so freaking what?

The Japanese still don't own up to Unit 731 and the other war crimes Imperial Japan committed. If bygones are bygone, then let them be gone.

Since when are apologies to be earned?

You don't apologize for punching someone when they haven't yet apologized for killing your wife.

"No, HE needs to apologize first!" is what children do.

Then again, that's the average emotional maturity of American foreign policy.

Yes, because international diplomacy is as simple as the interactions of children.

But apparently, no more complicated than punching someone in the face.

I'm not saying Obama *must* apologize. I am, however, saying it's ridiculous, childish and unworthy of a civilized nation to freak out at the thought that he might.

It's virtually impossible to win a war without doing things that justify apologizing.

What's all the hubbub, bub? Early in the video, Obama is asked whether he will apologize. His response is: "No."

What part of this answer is too complex for Fox News to understand? :rolleyes:

It is about time a President visited the city. No apology necessary; going there is sufficient. It was war in the 1940s and in war everybody does stuff to kill the enemy. We won and with our victory we enabled Japan to step out from its own shadow and become a valued ally. Leave the pat behind and move forward doing the best we can.

What's all the hubbub, bub? Early in the video, Obama is asked whether he will apologize. His response is: "No."

What part of this answer is too complex for Fox News to understand? :rolleyes:

What part of Hiroshima-gate scandal do not understand ?

Traitor Obama was busy Honoring the Japanese on Memorial day, instead of all the US serviceman now dying in Afghanistan the endless hellhole of a country where things were going "swimmingly" before he took over. :mischief:
Also Obama needs to romanticized dying more, like that draft dodger Strong war leader Bush.

It is about time a President visited the city. No apology necessary; going there is sufficient. It was war in the 1940s and in war everybody does stuff to kill the enemy. We won and with our victory we enabled Japan to step out from its own shadow and become a valued ally. Leave the pat behind and move forward doing the best we can.

This is my opinion too. I am glad that President Obama has gone.

I also take the view that it is inappropriate to apologise for things that one is not responsible for. Barrack Obama was born after Hiroshima, so he is not responsible.

I likewise do not expect apologies from any Germans under the age of 88 for the Holocaust, and do not proffer apologises for Britain's role re opium war or slave trade.

And if he did apologize, so freaking what?
Well, America still is very fond of a nationalistic cultural notion which goes something like "We are the best!!!1". And the modern version of this notion has pretty much been established and shaped by WWII. The war which established America as the guardian of what is good and true in the world and also, not incidentally, as a world power.
Since Vietnam, this narrative has been consistently challenged (though I'd argue never actually beaten - well not in America, anyway). But WWII remains as this one shiny good war standing for all what America is in relation to the world (dominant power kicking some butt and the good guys).
And some - I think considerable - sections of American society expect the political leadership to uphold this whole mythology, or at least will care about in some way or the other if motivated to do so. It is hard to do that and apologize for the atomic bomb at the same time.

You call this childish. That is certainly a way to see it. But well, that's antagonistic group mentality for you.
And while apologizing for the Atomic bomb probably wouldn't have any actual negative consequences, upholding the American mythology does have very real consequences, I think.

Top Bottom