GOTM 179

Ali Ardavan

Mathematician
Retired Moderator
Two years ago (GOTM 159), we played the WW2 scenario that shipped with the original game to commemorate the 75th anniversary of world war 2. This month, we will be playing the same scenario again. Last time we played as Allies, this time we play as Axis.

The scenario we are playing is the one that shipped with the game. You should all have it. I tried to enclose it for the sake of completeness but got an error due to unrecognized file type. Apparently you cannot attach scenarios as is. If any player lacks the scenario please say so in this thread and I will make sure to find a way to get you a copy.

There are no new buildings, or techs, or units, or wonders, in this scenario. There is no learning curve. Still, if you are not familiar with this scenario or generally with scenarios you are allowed to play a few turns aimlessly to get the feel of it.

World War 2 Scenario, 45 turns
Playing as Axis at Deity level

The game will start with Axis and then move in the usual order. If you let the AI play, typically Axis takes at least Amsterdam and Paris on the first turn and wipes out allied forces on mainland Europe. You can do better.

Victory conditions:
Gold, silver, and bronze go to players who achieve Axis decisive victory fastest or get closest to it (measured in number of Axis objectives) by the last turn. Green star goes to the player who achieves Axis Marginal victory first. Blue star goes to the player with the most objectives at their final turn. In case of a tie in any of the above, the player with more cities wins. In case of a tie in number of cities, the larger population wins.

Rivals
Russian: 31 cities, 63 techs, Communist, 26 objectives;
Turk: 5 cities, 61 techs, Monarchy, 2 objectives;
Axis: 22 cities, 66 techs, Republic, 16 objectives; Marco, Michelangelo, Copernicus, Leo, Bach; War with Allies, Neutrals, and French
Spanish: 9 cities, 61 techs, Monarchy, 3 objectives; Magellan;
Neutral: 4 cities, 57 techs, Monarchy, 3 objectives; Allied with Allies, war with Axis
Allies: 16 cities, 69 techs, Democracy, 16 objectives; Pyramids, Lighthouse, Great Library, King Richard, Shakespeare, Newton, Adam Smith, Darwin, Liberty, Suffrage, Hoover dam; Allied with Neutrals and French, war with Axis
French: 12 cities, 64 techs, Democracy, 4 objectives; Eiffel; Allied with Allies, war with Axis

Parameters
- No tech upon city capture
- No revolution (Command is grayed out). (However if you were playing Axis, upon acquiring Democracy you may change government subject to the usual rules.)
- No senate interference
- No pollution
- Apollo, SETI, UN, Cure are not available. Manhattan is.
- There are 70 objectives; wonders are objectives
- Axis Decisive/Marginal Victory is 54/32
- Axis Decisive/Marginal Defeat is 6/16

Deadline: Aug 2, 2016

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). Submit two saves; one just before marginal victory and the other one your final turn (right before decisive victory or final turn of the scenario or whenever else you choose to stop). No extra save is needed.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Attachments

• GOTM159.jpg
    GOTM159.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 270
Anyone looking for a game without a lot of real time investment should be participating in this one.

I remember the last WWII inspired GOTM with this scenario having a quite trade-heavy metagame since the Allies had Washington/NY and oil-producing regions faraway from each other (AKA Egypt), leading to good payouts once airports were built. I wonder if it's going to be worth it to "rush" our conquests to those trade outposts before tackling other regions for the payouts?

(Also, not going to have the problem of attacking supposed allies thanks to a bugged events.txt file... thankgod)

Also, to quickly check: Last time we (well, me and Ali) played a scenario, the directive was to play a few turns of everybody before trying out our "One and Only Attempt" for real, so we would have a rough idea of what's going on in the scenario.

But this time around, we don't have to deal with a modified rules.txt file. Does this mean that we can still poke around? Do we have to start dry? Perhaps survey the initial state of all seven civs? (In terms of units supported, and where they are initially stationed, etc...)

Jokemaster, as you correctly pointed out there are no modifications to the way this game operates compared to normal Civ2 (other than what I have explicitly noted). Furthermore, I have provided detail info about each rival (short of the number of military units). Yet, as I said in the game statement, feel free to play aimlessly a few turns. This I put in mainly for people who may not be familiar with scenarios. You are welcome to to do it too. But taking notes of how many military units your rivals have or how many units are defending nearby cities is not allowed.

I have a question,but I think is too late.In this scenario,Manhattan Project give some points extra in the final score.For GOTM,this wonder matter ?

Since the wonders count as objectives, I suppose building it will add an additional objective to the existing 70 and thus yes it will matter. However,
1. I have not tried this so I cannot be sure. If you do, please report back whether it made a difference in the number of objectives or not.
2. The primary factor in ranking is when you reach decisive victory. If two persons reach decisive victory in the same turn, then the one with more objectives wins. Given the 600 shields it takes to build this one it is more expensive than any other objective.
3. If my original guess is true, then it will likely help you with a Blue star.

Must verify old saves with Churchill,Stalin or Hitler if MP is objective 71 in F9.Sure I know this,with MP have a different score than without MP,some points extra.

Yes,I verified with a save with Churchill,before MP score 1450,after 1460,so Manhattan Project is objective 71.

Thanks for the verification; it is good to know. I am contemplating playing this scenario again for a GOTM in a year or two, and that time we would be playing as Russians.

So, as I said, it will have an effect on the Blue star and an insignificant effect on the medals.

I don't think a GOTM can be with Russians,because if the second research of Axis after Rocketry is Nuclear Fission,the scenario is lost.Axis will sign peace with Allies quick,and contacting Allies to declare war on Axis,they want...over 8000 gold:).Russians don't have force to take cities to prevent Manhattan Project maked and Axis can make this wonder in a city too far,this has happened in few games played.

Wow. Interesting.

I wonder if the AI is programmed to build Manhattan and nuke the rivals in this scenario. It is possible to find out by choosing to play neutrals. Build lots of defenses in Tehran which is not an objective and quite out of the way. Then just sit there and hit return watching what unfolds.

Axis will nuke you because your land is big,just a nuke and paradrop:).And will be that 'cheat' of AI in Civ II,city out of range of nukes,but..nuked.I received in a game a nuke in Stalingrad and nukes available for this,0...Axis will make alliance with Allies against you,and too Allies can nuke you.
I maked this with Neutrals and Turks in few games,but giving more stealth fighters garrison without Stealth and The Laser tech,making SDI defense in all cities,to see the war between Axis and Russians,the 'nice ' sound of stealth airplanes fighting:).In a game Moscow was razed,too more liberations:)).

I just played passively as neutrals. Just fortified Tehran and hit return. Axis captured Paris and Amsterdam on the first turn and then stopped fighting the French. They took Belgrade and Stockholm. They attacked the British but failed to capture any cities. Soon they reached peace with allies and stayed peaceful till the end. Meanwhile Russians became aggressive and started wars with Turks then French and finally allies. Allies started Manhattan but did not finish before the end.

I did so one more time. Again Axis lost interest in French after capturing Paris and Cherbourg, fought with allies for a few turns and then reached peace with them. As before Russians became aggressive and started fighting everyone except neutrals and Spanish. This time around no one bothered starting Manhattan despite at least allies having the tech.

Analyzing scenario parameters and editing,I saw this,Axis have a 'big problem' in attitude vs Russians,and when I played with Russians(when can continue the scenario,I'm not nuked:)),Axis can sign cease fire,but never peace treaty.

Top Bottom