Japan - Hojo Tokimune Thread

nunor

King
Update: new video

According to this picture posted on Reddit, German magazine GameStar confirms the name of Japan's leader and shows an image of him as depicted in his leaderscreen. This portrayal appears to be based on the one from the 2001 Japanese TV series "Hojo Tokimune" (but with Triforces instead of stripes :D ):

Spoiler :

The same article also confirms the Samurai as the Japanese UU.

A quick overview of his historical achievements:
- refused to become a vassal of the Mongol empire
- fought off 2 Mongol invasions
- built fortifications along western Japan, including a seawall
- applied the precepts of Zen Buddhism to the martial arts
- sought to spread Zen Buddhism by building temples (eg Engakuji Temple at Kamakura)

An unexpected choice but one that should be very interesting. We'll likely see a more defensive, insular Japan this time. A welcome change from warmongering Japan in Civilization 5. :)

Very refreshing if you ask me. I really think they should try as more new names as possible in Civ6, it really gives you a sense of innovation relatively to earlier releases, while piqueing your curiosity and excitement. In this case I had never heard of this figure and I'm loving to finding out more about him and speculate on how he'll play on Civ6. I, personally, am thrilled.

Looks better than this guy from Civ V.

I wonder what is his agenda?

Me and Japan had an .... antagonistic relationship in Civ 5, here's hoping we get along better in Civ 6

I like him very much, really fresh. I especially like how he isn't stereotype "samurai-shogun japanese leader" (I am talking about specific armor and looks). His clothes and looks aren't what tired cliches think about Japanese historical people.
On top of that I think he will have more defensive or isolationist agenda, and I like that much more than "world conquering" hyper agressive Japanese of civ5.

So far all four leaders uncovered are different from what we've seen in civ5, and two of them are never-seen-before in series, I like that.
Now I'd love to see Kubilai Khan instead of Genghis Khan and anybody instead of Gandhi :(

Me and Japan had an .... antagonistic relationship in Civ 5, here's hoping we get along better in Civ 6

I'll drink to that. :beer:

That Ed "Deep Bench" Beach is at it again. Cool choice.

[offtopic]

Should we consider the fact that they are using less "standard" leaders in Civ IV as another reason to believe we might eventually get a "Extra leaders DLC package" in the future?

Washington, Oda Nobunaga, Ramses II... we just need Ghandi and Shaka too, and we've got ourselves a 9,99€ pack that would sell like hot chocolate...

[offtopic]

Should we consider the fact that they are using less "standard" leaders in Civ IV as another reason to believe we might eventually get a "Extra leaders DLC package" in the future?

Washington, Oda Nobunaga, Ramses II... we just need Ghandi and Shaka too, and we've got ourselves a 9,99€ pack that would sell like hot chocolate...

From responses so far I think people will pay for a DLC that _removes_ Ghandi from the game.

[offtopic]

I don't think it's strong evidence. The only instance where people might be driven to buy an alternate leader is Egypt so far. TR, Hojo, and Qin seem to please the fans.

A quick overview of his historical achievements:
- refused to become a vassal of the Mongol empire
- fought off 2 Mongol invasions
- built fortifications along western Japan, including a seawall
- applied the precepts of Zen Buddhism to the martial arts
- sought to spread Zen Buddhism by building temples (eg Engakuji Temple at Kamakura)

Top Bottom