PolyCast Episode 258: "Is It October Yet?"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Repeat until reach desired outcome. The two-hundred-and-fifty-eighth episode of PolyCast, "Is It October Yet?", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-host Trevor "Talcove" Alcove. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m29s | News
Takeaways from the bite (or is that byte?) sized "First Look: America" and "Unstacking Cities" videos for Civilization VI are followed by the heftier "Community Q&A from E3 2016 (10m06s) and pulling back the curtain on the "Walkthrough" video first shown at the event, with an emphasis on the subsequent "Developer Commentary" on it afterwards (28m03s); then, revelation of CivilizationEDU being in development based off of CivV (45m00s).
- 54m36s | Open Mic
Taking in a few pieces of feedback from Episode 257.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
One upmanship, not aging gracefully and atypical accessories.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Hey, did you notice the woman who narrates the featurette videos sounds just like Makahlua? For a moment I couldn't tell it wasn't her talking about districts. :D

I feel like I have to brace myself every episode for the shenanigans. I thought I'd be used to it by now.

I believe I voiced concern before that aquatic and naval gameplay may end up being lacking in Civ VI. With the discussion about not needing or wanting to settle on the coast for a variety of reasons, this has only widened the scope of my reservations. As is the case for now, it is still far too early to tell exactly how things will pan out. However, in my experience, it happens too frequently in video games where the "water" aspects usually end up being at best a less fleshed out experience and at worse are an afterthought. I just hope that Firaxis has included some incentive to be coastal, as it is a notable aspect in a number of Civilizations.

I'm also growing increasingly interested as to what the Religious system is going to work out. At the moment, I'm most curious as to what the Pantheons are going to be, what their general power level is going to be (although that is probably VERY premature), and slightly less urgent of a question is what is their scope going to be? Will Religion have more weight in terms of mechanics or will it be mostly bonuses. With the lack of a World Congress (I'm not getting that wrong, am I?) things like "Motion for World Religion" aren't going to be a thing. Unless they've added other mechanics to fill that gap of inter-(and intra-)religion interactions.

I have noticed that you guys repeadetly are thinking that it's OR situation with policies, forgetting that various governments have various combo-slots (0x MIlitary, 2x Economic)

So you could be THAT guy who has both Colonization and +1 Production in City State OR be that guy who gets free envoys AND influence points towards them.

Hey, did you notice the woman who narrates the featurette videos sounds just like Makahlua? For a moment I couldn't tell it wasn't her talking about districts. :D
While I don't hear that much of a similarity myself, given Maki's Internet... status as we raise on the show from time-to-time... :mischief:

I feel like I have to brace myself every episode for the shenanigans. I thought I'd be used to it by now.
:D

I believe I voiced concern before that aquatic and naval gameplay may end up being lacking in Civ VI. With the discussion about not needing or wanting to settle on the coast for a variety of reasons, this has only widened the scope of my reservations. As is the case for now, it is still far too early to tell exactly how things will pan out. However, in my experience, it happens too frequently in video games where the "water" aspects usually end up being at best a less fleshed out experience and at worse are an afterthought. I just hope that Firaxis has included some incentive to be coastal, as it is a notable aspect in a number of Civilizations.
Hopefully, developer Firaxis Games and publisher 2K Games are taking concerns with respect to traditionally 'minimal' water-based gameplay into account given the Civilization community raising them. With the Rising Tide expansion pack for Civilization: Beyond Earth, they have set precedent for fleshing it the game's franchise.

I'm also growing increasingly interested as to what the Religious system is going to work out. At the moment, I'm most curious as to what the Pantheons are going to be, what their general power level is going to be (although that is probably VERY premature), and slightly less urgent of a question is what is their scope going to be? Will Religion have more weight in terms of mechanics or will it be mostly bonuses. With the lack of a World Congress (I'm not getting that wrong, am I?) things like "Motion for World Religion" aren't going to be a thing. Unless they've added other mechanics to fill that gap of inter-(and intra-)religion interactions.
You are correct that both 2K and Firaxis have indicated that the World Congress is not to be found in CivVI. Other than the fact that there are Religion mechanics in the game including choosing from a set of Pantheons to precede the possibility of founding a religion by a Great Prophet -- all understood elements as they are found in V as we know -- indeed little else is known. A related hope here too, in that the community can ultimately influence the Religion mechanic as it speculates away!

I have noticed that you guys repeadetly are thinking that it's OR situation with policies, forgetting that various governments have various combo-slots (0x MIlitary, 2x Economic)

So you could be THAT guy who has both Colonization and +1 Production in City State OR be that guy who gets free envoys AND influence points towards them.
No, we're not forgetting that: in early(ier) game, you are going to have to make a choice with respect to each policy type and available policies when it comes to the construct of your government. For example, with Chiefdom at the outset of the game our understanding is that you have 1 Military and 1 Economic slot only to choose from (source example). This was identified and discussed in the context of the early(ier) game and was reflected in the developer commentary in their own considerations. Yes, at Classical Republic the Wildcard slot type means that you could employ another Military, Economic or even a second Diplomatic civic -- given that you also now permitted one of each -- but even then there's an either/or choice to made with two two of those policy types.

While it is true that at Oligarchy and Autocracy you get two Economic and Military policy type choices respectfully, it is our further understanding they are not available in the early(ier) game (however that is defined or understood with respect to Eras, of course). Moreover, we already know of more than two civics apiece for Economic and Military types so even here either/or choices will continue to have to be made. My gosh, the combination possibilities will probably lead to greater extended and more heated debates than either IV's civics or V's social policies alone...

Hi, I'm MegaBearsFan. Ask me anything. :crazyeye:
OK: why are you posting as Talcove now?

;)

While I don't hear that much of a similarity myself, given Maki's Internet... status as we raise on the show from time-to-time... :mischief:
Eh, all them Americans sound alike to me, anyway.

Wait, was that racist?

Why did I just envision Maki's hand reaching through the internet towards Dan's face?

Hopefully, developer Firaxis Games and publisher 2K Games are taking concerns with respect to traditionally 'minimal' water-based gameplay into account given the Civilization community raising them. With the Rising Tide expansion pack for Civilization: Beyond Earth, they have set precedent for fleshing it the game's franchise.

Balance not-withstanding, I enjoyed the ability to scout oceans early and the slightly more fluid transition between land and sea. I had this interesting mental image of moving aquatic cities but surrounded by the new districts instead of just improvements. (Dear god, I hope for a BE sequel... There's SO much untapped potential.)

Anyway, yes. BERT has at least provided a precedent for the watery stuff.

Balance not-withstanding, I enjoyed the ability to scout oceans early and the slightly more fluid transition between land and sea. [..] BERT has at least provided a precedent for the watery stuff.
Indeed. :)

New White Lightning Movie!

This is referencing the previous episode from this week's.

Thought you might appreciate it.
Nice.

It also becomes a topic for an upcoming episode. :D

... For example, with Chiefdom at the outset of the game our understanding is that you have 1 Military and 1 Economic slot only to choose from (source example). This was identified and discussed in the context of the early(ier) game and was reflected in the developer commentary in their own considerations. Yes, at Classical Republic the Wildcard slot type means that you could employ another Military, Economic or even a second Diplomatic civic -- given that you also now permitted one of each -- but even then there's an either/or choice to made with two two of those policy types.

I was under the impression that the "Wild-Card" slots were a distinct type, not a mix-and-match. Did I misunderstand the other videos?

I was under the impression that the "Wild-Card" slots were a distinct type, not a mix-and-match. Did I misunderstand the other videos?

There are specific Wild-Card only cards (which seem to as far as we know grant Great Person points (i.e Revelation grants Great Prophet points)

But also any other type goes into Wild Card.

There are specific Wild-Card only cards (which seem to as far as we know grant Great Person points (i.e Revelation grants Great Prophet points)

But also any other type goes into Wild Card.
As Bear noted.

It may very well have been reported by one or more media sources as otherwise, including unintentionally so.

Top Bottom