PolyCast Episode 258: "Is It October Yet?"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Repeat until reach desired outcome. The two-hundred-and-fifty-eighth episode of PolyCast, "Is It October Yet?", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-host Trevor "Talcove" Alcove. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m29s | News
Takeaways from the bite (or is that byte?) sized "First Look: America" and "Unstacking Cities" videos for Civilization VI are followed by the heftier "Community Q&A from E3 2016 (10m06s) and pulling back the curtain on the "Walkthrough" video first shown at the event, with an emphasis on the subsequent "Developer Commentary" on it afterwards (28m03s); then, revelation of CivilizationEDU being in development based off of CivV (45m00s).
- 54m36s | Open Mic
Taking in a few pieces of feedback from Episode 257.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
One upmanship, not aging gracefully and atypical accessories.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

I wonder if you're in denial or have you lost the hope long time ago. How can you talk about Civ6 knowing it means Beyond Earth will never become a decent successor to Alpha Centauri? Especially when E3 Walkthrough forces Sean Bean to say "finally we move forward... to the next chapter of our destiny" while it's obvious he *wants* to say "move forward beyond Earth".

Anyway, all this talk about districts worries me. I expect every war after midgame to become literal Stalingrad. What about my immersion?

I wonder if you're in denial or have you lost the hope long time ago. How can you talk about Civ6 knowing it means Beyond Earth will never become a decent successor to Alpha Centauri? Especially when E3 Walkthrough forces Sean Bean to say "finally we move forward... to the next chapter of our destiny" while it's obvious he *wants* to say "move forward beyond Earth".
I think Sean Bean didn't have to think about what he was going to say in the walkthrough video as that information was provided for him. :D

Anyway, all this talk about districts worries me. I expect every war after midgame to become literal Stalingrad. What about my immersion?
Time will tell: the scenario you allude to could come to pass, but the question we will probably want to ask ourselves is whether that is the best approach, more often than not, with respect to combat.

When you were talking about barbs needing horses for horse units I had flashbacks to some MP games where everybody went Atilla. Too many horse archers.

When you were talking about barbs needing horses for horse units I had flashbacks to some MP games where everybody went Atilla. Too many horse archers.
Ah yes, the Hunnic mounted units that require no mounted resource... like the Indian War Elephant. A good change coming about in CivVI with respect to this, a comparable 'call back' to IV even.

I don't get the hate for BE.

The only thing wrong with that game is that it wasn't provided adequate resources and currently isn't finished.

The concepts, the mechanics, the art, the music/SE. Everything is solid. It's no wonder they are borrowing from it.

I don't get the hate for BE.

The only thing wrong with that game is that it wasn't provided adequate resources and currently isn't finished.

The concepts, the mechanics, the art, the music/SE. Everything is solid. It's no wonder they are borrowing from it.
I personally do not hate Beyond Earth, though I respectfully disagree that it is "solid" with respect to the mechanics. Moreover, it's the implementation of some concepts that fall short. If there were a second expansion pack for it (CivERNIE :mischief:) that made changes to the title like its first expansion did, and lingering issues identified from the first and/or base game were addressed, I would then regard it a contender for "solid".

I personally do not hate Beyond Earth, though I respectfully disagree that it is "solid" with respect to the mechanics. Moreover, it's the implementation of some concepts that fall short. If there were a second expansion pack for it (CivERNIE :mischief:) that made changes to the title like its first expansion did, and lingering issues identified from the first and/or base game were addressed, I would then regard it a contender for "solid".

After the disappointment with BE and BERT, I doubt most people would give ERNIE a chance.

After the disappointment with BE and BERT, I doubt most people would give ERNIE a chance.

I think this is a bit of an assumption. Pay 20 to 30 and possibly have a game go from alright to Good. I'll take that chance any day.

In regards to the multiple leaders, I am not against at. As long as it isn't at the cost of more civs :D ~
I also want them to push for even more uniqueness per civ, i'd be down with that. Glad to see John Shafer was wrong about Civ VI being 64 bit, they finally made the jump.

Perhaps not at release, but if Civ franchise history is any indication that would likely change in the not-too-distant-future afterwards.

In regards to the multiple leaders, I am not against t. As long as it isn't at the cost of more civs :D

So there is a condition upon which you would be against multiple leaders per civ...

:mischief:

Perhaps not at release, but if Civ franchise history is any indication that would likely change in the not-too-distant-future afterwards.

So there is a condition upon which you would be against multiple leaders per civ...

:mischief:

yep, in that case yes, although again, i don't feel that strongly about it~ :D

yep, in that case yes, although again, i don't feel that strongly about it~ :D
But you do feel strongly enough about it to let it be known that that is the case.

(Did I pick apart your language choice for my own nefarious purpose? I would never... ;))

Top Bottom