'R' Class Battleship

tufir

Chieftain
This is a complete unit, supposed to be a 'R' Class Brittish Battleship, for WWI. Weighting aprox. 23700 tons, these were Dreadnought's children, win 8 15in main guns and 6 6in auxiliar uns, the Ramillies, Royal Oak, Royal Sovereign, Resolution and Revenge were the most powerful battleships of their era.

This is my first unit, and while renderind I didn't notice they were so big, so it is a little big for normal use. But after all this work...
If anybody can reduce it DO IT, and tell me how, without working all new again.

Attachments

• rclassdefault.gif
    rclassdefault.gif
    41.4 KB · Views: 5,724
there's no file to download, you forgot perhaps?

pretty nice unit btw, for a first one it looks great

This is a fine unit but I do agree it is just a little too large in comparison to the other naval units out there. I look forward to using it when it is resized.

Sure, she runs a bit off-center, seems to list to port, & takes her space, but, to my estimation, she's a beaut'. I'm new to this, so maybe other folks have salvos of "white death," but I was mesmerized :yeah: the first time I saw the attack anim. Good job, tufir! You have an innate artistic ability. :worship:

Here's a link to an entry in a 1919 Jane's about the R (Royal Sovereign) Class Battleships.

looks good for a first unit...but no recoil from 4 cannons?

Very good WW1-Battleship-unit.

Remember: During WW1 the Battleships really
could have decided the outcome of the war, if not
for the extremely defensive amirals.

(At the outbreak of WW2 the 5 "R" were 5 out
The British Empire 15 BB:s and BC:s).

I hope there will be more units from you.

Rocoteh

Actually, I think I read somewhere about a ship whose gunnery was reduced for fear of too strong a recoil. I'm not sure if they were afraid of damaging the superstructure, of swamping the ship on a roll, or of just plain not having a steady gun platform to fire from.

Come to think of it, is this why ships fired their guns in unison, in a broadside, that the ship's rocking did not ruin the aim? :blush:

Seeing as how tufir is in the Armada Española, I think he ought to be able to tell us how recoil affects ships. :grad:

See, someday when I make a Civ ship :mischief:, I'll need to know this.

Tufir, eres en la armada de España, ¿Verdad? ¿Qué haces tú? Mi padre fue en los Guardacostas Estadounidenses.

ships dont recoil or they'd risk flipping over. I love the way the turrets slowly turn before firing. my only suggestion for future units is that they shouldnt turn white B4 firing, only afterwards.
good job!!

I think you may be sayying recoil for movement backwards, isn't it? This type of ship just couldn't do it, If it moved, it would sunk, turning to that side.
Adding movement would provide more dramatism but not more reality (that's my opinion and technical reference, but if you want to do it, i'll send you the model if you wish).

It's th treuth that they were vital during WWI, but they only fought ONE battle, in Jutland, May 1916 (i think), and at the beginning of WWII their number had been reduced dramatically, from mor than 185 (1897) to 3 BC (15") and 12 BB(15" and 16" C45 Nelson and Rodney).

About the light, it's true, it's too shiny, but I don't know how to add to it flames or smoke, shadows while render, and I don't have time for cut'n paste.
Thanks for ALL the ideas.
I'll try to remake it.

Basileus George, the only thing that these ships wold notice about the shot wolud be a vibration, not a movement (the hull wold break in two parts). It 's only for animation purposes that always appears to move th gun of aship, but what really moves is the barrel of the gun, no more.

tufir, I like this unit just as it is. I think it looks even cooler than the real thing. As for the recoil discussion, I remember from watching movies with battleships (Bismark and a d-day movie called The Longest Day which showed the USA battleships bombarding Normandy) the ships did not roll or show any sign of movement when firing. So please don't add in any recoil tufir. Great unit you cooked up!

The laws of physics require that the ship does move in the opposite direction when a guns fired, but with the gargantuan weight of a battleship and the enormous water resistance against moving prependicularly to the length of the ship the movement's going to be minimal.

I am bringing this thread to live again since I
have one question?

Will someone resize it?

If the answer is yes from someone, only Repulse
and Renown are missing from the 15 Capital ships
UK started WWII with.

Rocoteh

Top Bottom