GOTM 31

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2gotmrules.shtml

On this odd sized flat map you start as Xerxes, leader of the Persians.

Two Settlers await your command with two huts in view. A special note, if you build your city near the huts and put a worker on either of the huts, the hut will disappear (without getting anything from them), so beware!

If you thought the game was that basic, think again. After a quick peek at the map I gave every nation the Navigation tech (hint, hint). Not wanting to end there I gave all of the other civilizations a government technology and also started them in that government. You however, start in Anarchy. In doing all this, it also makes it where you will have a direct choice in Technologies.

The game settings:

Custom Size Flat Map
Small Land Mass
Archipelago Land Form
Random Climate
Random Temperature
Random Age
King Level
7 Civs
Raging Hordes
Restarts on

Starting Location:

GOTM 31

Games will be due on September 7th.

Be sure to send in the required saves {One from AD 1, AD 1000, and a save just before you would finish the game} to Duke of Marlbrough.

Hmmm "odd sized"? Is there any way to get a 'non-rectangular' map shape?

Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough
...I gave all of the other civilizations a government technology and also started them in that government.

:hmm: Wonder if that means we can steal the advanced government type? :undecide:

New to GOTM, would like to try this one :) But the king level is abit high for me as i only played at prince level. I will give it a go anyway.

A king is generally a prince who grew somewhat older :)
Don't be afraid: this game won't make you old in a few weeks.

Personally I think that there is a bigger difference between Classic & MGE than between prince & king.

I still bounce around playing at the different levels; at prince I should build 5-7 of the ancient wonders; king might be 3-5, so some choices come into play. At king I might miss out on one of the later wonders, but it shouldn't be a key one.

Temple, market, defender should keep a city OK until size 8 or so under Monarchy; once you have a dozen cities, & are in a republic, you won't notice a difference except that the ai will have a couple of extra cities (targets) for you.

Originally posted by Lee2003
New to GOTM, would like to try this one :) But the king level is abit high for me as i only played at prince level. I will give it a go anyway.

When I started playing the GOTM, I also thought the levels were too high for me, but after a couple of GOTMs and reading the tips used by the experts (starlifter, et. al) you get better at playing at the higher levels.
I'm still not the best player (I tend to just play and things get out of hand sometimes), but I'm a way better player than before I started in these forums.

I say, give it a go. You might be surprised how well you do. :goodjob:

Firstly I'd like to say hi to everybody. I'm also new to the GOTM, but have been lurking on this site for some time. But from the encouraging replies Lee2003 got (hi Lee2003), I thought it might be time for my first game too.

Looking forward to it!:D

Oh, i forgot to save during the 1AD and 1000AD, so how? I am now in like year 1690+. I can't summit the result right? :( Since i can't restart the game :( I guess it all happens to beginner right?

Originally posted by Lee2003
Oh, i forgot to save during the 1AD and 1000AD, so how? I am now in like year 1690+. I can't summit the result right? :( Since i can't restart the game :( I guess it all happens to beginner right?

:confused: Have you've been playing in only one long run without saving? Or have you saved and continued later? Maybe you then would have some SAV-files from around 1AD and 1000AD. I don't know how strict the rules are, but you could always try submitting them (the closest SAV-files you have) and see what happens:)

Originally posted by SideshowBob
...have you saved and continued later? Maybe you then would have some SAV-files from around 1AD and 1000AD. I don't know how strict the rules are, but you could always try submitting them (the closest SAV-files you have) and see what happens:)

Lee, I have been guilty of this on a couple of occasions :blush: , but Duke is pretty forgiving if you have some other .sav files near 1AD and 1000AD to submit.

Just a rule of thumb: Always save when the high council prompt pops up. :thumbsup:

An encouragement to those thinking about this one: this game makes a GREAT One City Challenge. OCC is a great learning experience for diplomacy, tech paths, production tradeoffs, and city growth. I suggest you play it in Classic/2.4.2, rather than MPG/MGE, if you have the choice. Diplomacy in the latter version is much more difficult.

Hmm, I was thinking of playing the Civ3 GOTM, but since I am quite new to the GOTM in General, its best that I start playing in the Civ2 field. But since August is all finished, its best that I would wait untill the September one to come out.

At least I can play the Civ2 GOTM on my laptop while relaxing in one of the student lounge in College ;).

ok, it's 3am and I am about three turns from launch. I hipe to get this in soon.

Top Bottom