Monty Python's Crawling Circus - Training Games

Nad

Known Troublemaker
As evinced by this thread, there has been a perceived lack of training games recently. Since training games are such a lot of fun, Amirsan and I have decided to run parallel training games to fulfill the demand ;).

In case anyone does not know what a training game is, it is an opportunity to play a succession game in much more depth than usual as an attempt to improve your game. In a training game, every player gets his moves critiqued by the organizer of the game, and team co-operation is emphasized. By playing together and analyzing moves, everyone should learn a lot more about playing Civ 3, from different strategies to little tips. In particular, if you are having difficulty winning at a certain difficulty, a training game is the perfect opportunity to learn how to play at that level. In short, whereas a standard succession game is about having fun by winning, a training game is about having fun while learning :thumbsup:

There have been many great training games in the past, run by some of the most illustrious Civ 3 players. As examples:

Deity Training , by Sirp

PROD , by Sirian

Emperor Training , by Sulla

Ender's Game , by Speaker

Those are just a few of the best, and should give an idea of the type of game we'll be playing.

If you wish to participate, please sign-up now! Also, please state what difficulty you would like to train at (anything up to emperor). A training game does require dedication and enthusiasm from all who play, so please bear this in mind if you wish to play. I can guarantee that the parallel games will be a lot of fun though and you will learn aplenty!

signing up :) I wish to train for regent level as i am doing ok in it but have not mastered. Thank you for holding a training game to increase our Civving abilities!

Signed up:

umanwizard - monarch

Amirsan: what do you think? 5 players + organizer per team? Which would mean 9 places available?

As Nad noticed, I am just trying to make the move into Emperor territory. While I feel somewhat confident with my first game there, I would like to smooth out some of the rougher parts of my game. So if there is interest in an Emperor level TDG, I would like a piece. :)

glad you're interested Yaype :goodjob:

If necessary, we can always run the two games on different difficulty levels. And in any case, the gap between emperor and monarch is large but not insurmountable.

Signed up

umanwizard - monarch
Yaype - emperor

I am not sure if your training is appropriate for me or not. While I have become a good enough builder to win most emperor games, I feel my skill at warfare are lacking especially in the ancient and middle ages before rails and tanks. My troops tend to splat themselves against the enemy walls. I have had a number of 20+ year wars where I will only take 2-4 towns.

Issues such as knowing when you are ready to attack, how to balance military vs infrastructure & how to keep ones troops alive so you don't lose forward momentum are all areas I feel I am pretty weak at.

In short, I would like try out an emporer game whose goal was to go for a domination or conquest victory, with a secondary goal of doing it quickly if we can.

I can easily understand if you feel I am overqualified for the level of skill you are aiming at, but if not and others are agreeable with adding early warfare into the mix, then I would be interested in joining.

Greebley, you are very welcome to join. Since this is a training game, we will definitely be warring at some point since war is an important part of civ 3. When we war will depend on our situation....it might be early, it might be late, knowing how to time your warring is an important skill, especially on emperor and deity.

Signed up:

umanwizard - monarch
Yaype - emperor
Greebley - emperor

Amirsan: patience! give it time! This thread's only been up a matter of hours, and it's the weekend (most people tend to be online during the week). I'm sure all the positions will up ;)

As for splitting....if the games are on the same difficulty level, we'll just split the teams randomly, if they are on different difficulties, then one of us does a monarch game and the other emperor.

I would like to be in. I have only won on the easy gotm(monarch/conquest) last month and 1 other monarch win in a SG and currently playing a monarch level SG. So, I don't really know If I should keep trying Monarch or take the plunge to Emperor.

On a side note, My playing time might become limited next week. Layofffs at my job might force me to go back to school or find another job:(

BTW, what version of the game?

Okay, war in Emperor in the Beggining of the Middle Age is my favorite!! Hope your up for it :).

OneFastWarrior, you are good enough for this SG as I would think. Not to threadjack but here's the updated roster. ;)

umanwizard - monarch
Yaype - emperor
Greebley - emperor
OneFastWarrior- Emperor

This looks like its going to be an emperor game, though we still have like 6 more signups to go. About your "limited time" OneFastWarrior, I am also wont be able to start untill before the 16th. I need a laptop becuase my uncle wont let me play any games on his computer.

Welcome OneFast Warrior!

We can decide on the version later. I'm using the UK version and the patch for that isn't sorted, so it'll probably be 1.21, although maybe 1.27 if it's sorted.

Anyway, switching between patches is easy, so it won't be a problem no matter what.

I use 1.21 and had planned on not upgrading until I can use the new patch on gotm's and when I notice that more people are using 1.27 on SG's.

but I can go either way, not a problem.

I can go for an emperor game as well, but with school starting I probably will only be able to play during the weekends (and maybe not even then with volleyball season). Anyhow, if this is a problem than I will be fine with just observing what you guys do and what commentary is provided. Btw, I only have Vanilla Civ, not PTW.

Top Bottom