EVIE1 - 1 on 1 TDG

mad-bax

Deity
GOTM Staff
This game is a one on one TDG. The aim of the game is to get Superevie up and running at regent level. General comments and advice are warmly welcomed.

Game Parameters

Difficulty: Regent
Map: Small Continents, min water, Roaming Barbs
Opponents: 6 Preset
Playable Civ: Russia
Software: "Vanilla" CivIII 1.29f

Here is the start.

Here is the <<save>>

OK Evie. This is the way I would like this to work.

I would like you to play 10 turns at a time. After each set of turns I need you to post a turnlog, a save, and a picture.

A turnlog is a description of what you did each turn. When you press the space bar, all the other civs get their turn and stuff happens. This is known as the interturn, or "in-between-turn"

For example:

1000BC:
Founded Antalya - Warrior.
Stack of 8 Persian immortals approaches capital which is defended by 1 regular warrior.

IBT:
Constantinople settler - settler
Xerses demands Tmap. I refuse
Persia declares war and captures capital killing the defending warrior.

You can find good and bad examples of turnlogs throughout this forum. Have a look at some. You might find .<<this>> thread useful.

Before you play each set of turns I would like you to post your ideas on what you should do next. I'll discuss the ideas with you and then we will both play 10 turns. Then we'll discuss what happened. And so it will go on.

The next post will kick the game off

OK. Look at the start position and then think about the following things.

1. We are playing as Russia. What makes Russia special? What are our traits, what is our unique unit and what techs do we start with?

2. How do we decide on the best place to put the first city?

3. What should we research first, and how fast?

The answer to the first question you can look up in a book :)
The other questions sound simple enough, but are really quite tricky.

Have a stab at them, and post your thoughts. ;)

<exit lurker mode>

Being a beginning Regent player myself, I took the liberty to subscribe to this thread :)

Good luck superevie and mad-bax! :)

<re-enter lurker mode>

Frollo: My guess is that you would like to join in. I would be OK with that as long as you have never won a regent game. If you have, then the difference in levels between you and Evie would be too great. Anyhoo it's not up to me it's up to Evie.

I didn't intend this to become a full scale TDG as I don't feel qualified to do that yet.

I'm going to lurk, too...I'm playing my first Regent game as Egypt, and I look forward to seeing how this progresses. :)

You guessed wrong! :)
Although I *do* often lurk on the SG forum hoping for a free spot, I understand that this one is not going to be a full training game.

I posted only to say I will monitor this thread with interest and may make comments if I feel the need.

Besides, I recently won a Regent game (Chinese, conquest) :)

OK. That's quite a relief. :)

Well done on your victory. Conquest wins are always nice. :goodjob:

Originally posted by Frollo
Where *is* Evie, anyway? Has she even seen this thread?

Here I am! I was watching survivor last night and didn't play that much. :blush: anyway, I'll get crackin tonight! Oh also, I was trying to play warlord. Wont my head explode if I go directly from chieftain to regent? :quivers in boots:

Superevie :queen:

First off, I'd settle my first city and start building a warrior ASAP. Next, I'd hit save and have my scout open up that goody hut. Then, my worker would get started on a mine. I'd simutanously have the scout running about trying to find more goody huts. Good?

Originally posted by Padma
I, too, will be watching. And maybe popping in with comments now and again. ;)

(Dang! I wish I could see that opening screenshot - my firewall at work has blocked it! :mad: )

Thanks Padma! Wow, the whole world's watching my every move. I don't know how to feel just now...

You cross-posted with my edit, so I will repost the gist of it here to be sure you see it. ;)

Evie: If you settle where you stand, you will automatically pop that hut without sending the Scout to it. :)

And why save first, anyway - so you can reload if things don't go the way you want? :nono:

Another lunchtime lurker chimes in.

I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about getting barbs from the hut. I seem to remember that you can't get barbs from a hut until you have a military unit. Another tidbit, if you're playing an expansionist civ, you can't get barbs at all.

Originally posted by denyd
Another lunchtime lurker chimes in.

I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about getting barbs from the hut. I seem to remember that you can't get barbs from a hut until you have a military unit. Another tidbit, if you're playing an expansionist civ, you can't get barbs at all.

But of course, if you build the city where you're standing, the hut pops automatically.

Originally posted by Padma
You cross-posted with my edit, so I will repost the gist of it here to be sure you see it. ;)

Evie: If you settle where you stand, you will automatically pop that hut without sending the Scout to it. :)

And why save first, anyway - so you can reload if things don't go the way you want? :nono:

I didn't know the hut would already open up. Oh, and yes, I'm a very naughty girl and reload if I screw up. And I love doing it. :D

I too will be lurking on this one, ready to drop in with witty & merciless criticism should either of you mess up!:p;)

Good luck though! This is the best & quickest way to improve your game and better your strategy.

Originally posted by Gengis Khan
I too will be lurking on this one, ready to drop in with witty & merciless criticism should either of you mess up!:p;)

Good luck though! This is the best & quickest way to improve your game and better your strategy.

I think this will help a lot. Thanks for the suggestion, since you brought it up first! :)

Originally posted by Superevie

I didn't know the hut would already open up. Oh, and yes, I'm a very naughty girl and reload if I screw up. And I love doing it. :D

It doesn't work in Civ 3, unless you've changed the default settings. Something tells me mad-bax didn't change it, so you're a slave to the RNG.

:worship: RNG :worship: :whipped:

Top Bottom