NEW UNIT: Kontiki

Dom Pedro II

Modder For Life
UPDATE: 12/24/03

This is the Kontiki. I'm not really sure what it is... I'm not really sure what it should be filling in for. I think I'm going to use it as a replacement for the Caravel for my Polynesian civ as it is much larger than the Hokulea, although, it should probably be the other way around. Maybe I'll scale it down a bit in later versions...

Polynesian Kontiki

I've also made a mini kontiki as well that could be for a Curagh replacement and then the larger one for a Galley or Caravel replacement.

Original - 70% - 40%

The Kon Tiki was a raft build by Thor Hayerdal, a Norwegian scientist (ethnologist) who wanted to prove than Polynesia was settled by people coming from South America.
Many objected it was not possible, because such a travel was impossible in the South Pacific.

So he build a raft using technics and material available at the time, and sailed West from Peru, with a small team of crazy guys, and he actually succeeded to reach Polynesia.

The name "Kon Tiki" was the name of of of the god of the sun in this area of the world.

By the way, his book is quite nice to read.

If you want to be really accurate, it should be a replacement for Inca, not Polynesian civ.

It looks a bit weird(no offence) could we see an ingame pic? :)

Ingame pic would be great!:D Looks good, nontheless!:goodjob::thanx:

It looks great in-game, but I think it should be scaled down to 75% of its current size...Good job!:goodjob:

I like it as is, but if you shrink it I can use both. Good for the Incans I think. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It has to be shrinked a little bit, otherwise it looks like a juggernaut of its era.

Good job though :)

Originally posted by mrtn
AFAIK modern genetics has disproved Heyerdahl's theory.
Anyway, nice raft. ;)
Perhaps, but it doesn't change the fact he build his raft from South American design, to check if it was possible to reach Polynesia from Peru with it, so it should be an Inca flavour unit

Ok, yes... so needs to be scaled down a bit, but umm... how do I do that? If I have to use the SBB and make them smaller that way, its going to be a little bit before I can put out a small version because that means I'll have to do all of the post-editing over again...

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
Ok, yes... so needs to be scaled down a bit, but umm... how do I do that? If I have to use the SBB and make them smaller that way, its going to be a little bit before I can put out a small version because that means I'll have to do all of the post-editing over again...
Use the SBB's Multi Figure version, and use the Alone configuration. Say that the frames are 54*54 pixels, then you could export two story boards from Flicster, one 60*60, and one 80*80. Use the 80*80 story board in SBB, and shrink it to 75%, i e 60*60. Import the right palette to this bmp, and save it as the 60*60 SB. Load this in Flicster, check it out, and make a flc out of it. Serve with a chilled white wine.

I hope this answered your question. :eek:
I've been shrinking units all week, so I have it fresh, if you have any questions. :D

Hello there,

New to this forum, and to civ3 for that matter, played I and II, tried III three years ago but could get the hang of it. I should not have started at deity level as I did in II..

Man, the AI advantages in higher levels in III, I had been wondering: "Do they get more units or something" Well they do dont they? Did I mention "man.." ?

And the units you guys post .. whaaaaaa.

Just an idea, couldnt this unit be made into a scout unit able to cross ocean squares for an expansionist civilization? Would the game allow it?

Bye,

Originally posted by djv
Hello there,

New to this forum, and to civ3 for that matter, played I and II, tried III three years ago but could get the hang of it. I should not have started at deity level as I did in II..

Man, the AI advantages in higher levels in III, I had been wondering: "Do they get more units or something" Well they do dont they? Did I mention "man.." ?

Just an idea, couldnt this unit be made into a scout unit able to cross ocean squares for an expansionist civilization? Would the game allow it?

Bye,

In higher difficulties like diety, yes the AI gets more units. And yes it could be made into a scout ship. Easy enough to do in the editor.

BTW: Welcome to CFC! :wavey:

Not to spoil the mood here, but isn't this the wrong forum to post that in :lol:. You'll soon meet Zulu I bet. I had that problem a lot too. BTW: congrats, welcome to the forums :).

Aww, you made the Kon Tiki. :thumbsup:

She should be much smaller than a war galley, though. And she should not have attack/defense/hitpts: she was not designed for war. But you should definitely let it cross oceans since she was built specifically to prove that she could do this.

BTW, Heyerdahl also proved that it is possible to sail from Africa to the New World on an ancient Egyptian boat made out of papyrus reeds by almost making it from Morocco to Barbados. Unfortunately, the ship, Ra-2, came apart near the end of the voyage. Thor blamed the wreck on faulty construction of the stern and not on the fact that she was made out of papyrus. Apparently, some people had proved that papyrus rots and disintegrates when left in water. But Thor criticized these people, saying that the sea-worthiness of papyrus cannot be determined simply by leaving samples of it in stagnant, fresh water. Then he went out and proved that papyrus does get stronger when left in salty water; Ra-2 sailed for eight weeks before her destruction.

Ra-2 could be the Egyptian equivalent to the Inca's Kon Tiki. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom