*** Unit Request Thread #2 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, we've had the "can zebras be domesticated?" argument a million times, mainly because Shiro is convinced they can be. But they can't. Domestication isn't something you do to an individual, it's something you do to a species. No doubt it is possible to raise a young zebra so that it will do what you want, but this is called taming, not domestication. And most zebras are not amenable to this, because they have very bad tempers. This is why the species has never been domesticated, which involves creating a self-sustaining population of tame animals.

Nothing wrong with a fictional unit, of course. But even so it would probably be a painted horse rather than a real zebra...

Read Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel", it gives an excellent explanation as to why certain species (fauna and flora) could be domesticated and many others could not. Ultimately, domestication suitability of native species was the root cause why certain regions of the world developped advanced civilizations much earlier than other regions.

This units

Attachments

• Elf hunter.gif
    Elf hunter.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Scorpideus.gif
    Scorpideus.gif
    28 KB · Views: 253
the site I got the above pic came from a site claiming that there were a bunch "Tamed" for a traveling circus type thing...I will concede that the species may not be domesticatable...but that doent mean that the unit is impossible...besides, on civ scale, what is the difference between a Zebra and a painted horse??...

Sorry, didnt mean to start an issue...

I know almost no one who makes units reads this anymore, but, on the slim chance they do, could someone make a WWII American paratrooper, armed with an M1 Garand, or M1A1 carbine (maker's choice)
They should look somethin like this. Thanks if anyone accepts.

Edit: Maybe a similar Marine unit. different clothes, but once again, era specific weapons.

I know no unit makers read this thread anymore, but in the off-chance one does, I would LOVE to have a falconer. These are the guys with the heavy leather gauntlets that trained falcons, eagles, owls, or buzzard perch on. These birds are usually hooded and leashed when at rest. Ideally the initial attack would be the bird taking flight and attacking, with subsequent attacks being both the bird and the falconer attacking. Fortification should be the bird landing on the falconers gauntlet and the falconer hooding it. All other animations I am open to.

You can get some images of falconers here, and some information on falconry here.

This is probably the most mainstream unit request I've ever made....

Its not that i don't like them. I've actually used them. I should have posted a different picture and explained it, but pretty much I'm looking for a battle of the Buldge type unit- U.S. paratrooper with era specific weapons, and the typical black army trench coat

For my mod... I need some traditional Chinese units. I think that someone have played the game "Emperor - Rise of Middle Kingdom". The units in this game is very nice, not only for China, but also for Xiongnu, Korea, Vietnam, Khitan, Mongolia, and Tibet. Can anyone transform them to CivIII units?;)

I like that game! I don't know if it's possible to convert the units, though. Certainly similar units to at least some of them have been made for Civ III - I'm sure there are Chinese chariots available, for example.

I always wanted to play Emperor. I loved Pharaoh and Zeus. Is this game very similar ?

Sorry for the OT.

@Plotinus: by the looks of it, they seem to move on all the Civ3 axis (what's the plural of axis ? :confused:). But then again i don't know anything about converting a unit to civ3 ...

I third those. :) I think that some of the elves in the WH mod are very similar to these though, but I can't remember who made them. Might have been Embryodead.

@ Heretic_Cata - Emperor is pretty good, very similar to Zeus. I think that which one you prefer would depend on which area of history you find more interesting.

And if you're seconding any asian unit - then I request an Asian Beaver Worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom