Late-start Civs.

Mojotronica

Expect Irony.
Here are links to two ideas I posted at here that I'd like to suggest for implementation into the next version of Civilization:

Provincial Palaces:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=88251

Barbarians become Civs:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=88257

Both are built around the idea of creating a more dynamic environment for players -- they detail ways in which "minor" (or younger) Civs could be introduced into the game without changing the game's basic nature. And in either case the minor Civs could theoretically rise in power to dominate the later stage of the game.

I think that the strength of these ideas is that they are simple, potentially implementable using Civ 3 technology. They are not major overhauls and they don't add much complexity to the the player's experience, but they will add a new historical dimension to the game.

While not perfect, I feel that the changes would make the player's experience more comparable to our actual historical experience here on Earth, where Civilizations rise and fall, and new Civilizations overshadow the old.

Do you have any ideas for bringing late-start Civs into the game? Do you think it would enhance the gaming experience?

Mojotronica said:
Do you have any ideas for bringing late-start Civs into the game? Do you think it would enhance the gaming experience?

The only issue I see with this idea is that if I start the game and I have 15-20 cities and a "late starting" civ pops up I don't know that they would be a very viable civilization. Possibly if you were to start them with many of the Advances that the rest of the civ's have (tech and units) and gave them some bonus' it might add an interesting twist to the game. The barbarian's I agree need to be added to. I think they need to have different levels of barbs (conscript, vet, elite) and grow with the game possibly turning into terrorist later in the game. I know that this is a touchy subject right now with the recent world happenings but I think people need to remember that this is "just a game"

I think that this is the biggest flaw of the civilization series. That a civilization can last 6,000 years. Even if it is a matter of what the nation is called, a population and culture can get displaced after som many centuries. I know this has been brought up before. Someone mentioned that the game lacks certain events like the reconquista or distant cities becoming an entity unto themselves wishing to break off from the "mother land". This would add so much to the game.

Also, another flaw of civilization is the fact that, the bigger the nation, the stronger it usually is. Compare England to India for example. England colonized India in a relatively short time. In civilization it would not only take years upon years, but it would not be worth the venture due to coruption(assuming it's the Earth map). Also, following from this event, the way the game works now, India would never get it's independance since it would be completely destroyed as a seperate entity. And after a century or so, the population of Indians would be negligible, as if the culture and people simplky disappeared. This is a severe limitation of the game and I hope it can be remedied.

When a city is conquered, the original people living there should be able to reproduce under foreign government, so that they may later start a revolution of liberation.

I don't know why you play Civ, but I play for fun. It wouldn't be fun at all for me to build up a civilization and then have it arbitrarily split or decay or be faced with irreconcilable problems. What FUN would late-start civs give? I can see lots of ways they would be un-fun, but I don't see any way they add fun. For some of us, realism is almost orthogonal (completely unrelated) to fun.

It's not realistic for one entity to control a civilization for thousands of years, so maybe we should just get to play a tiny role in the civilization -- maybe manage one city for 40 turns or something. More realistic but definitely not the Civ I've come to know and love.... The point of this is that there has to be some willing suspension of disbelief and too much realism is probably a bad thing for the Civ series.

Arathorn

The idea that I think quite a few of us have is to create a game that allows civilizations to split and then rejoin whilst still being fun. Things like break away civs forming would only happen in certain situations. Perhaps you have established a colony on another continent and at some point in the game this colony might seek independance. This new nation might not have all the techs of the nation that they split from and lack a large number of units so if the old nation has the resources it could quickly take the colony back but perhaps the other AI civs will side with the colony and allow it to establish its own civilization, i.e. the USA.

Arathorn said:
I don't know why you play Civ, but I play for fun. It wouldn't be fun at all for me to build up a civilization and then have it arbitrarily split or decay or be faced with irreconcilable problems. What FUN would late-start civs give? I can see lots of ways they would be un-fun, but I don't see any way they add fun. For some of us, realism is almost orthogonal (completely unrelated) to fun.

It's not realistic for one entity to control a civilization for thousands of years, so maybe we should just get to play a tiny role in the civilization -- maybe manage one city for 40 turns or something. More realistic but definitely not the Civ I've come to know and love.... The point of this is that there has to be some willing suspension of disbelief and too much realism is probably a bad thing for the Civ series.

Arathorn

The designers of Civ 3 have mentioned that they did away with random events because they were arbitrary -- they don't want to include game mechanics that penalize players without some indication of their peril. The negative effects of Swamps, Jungles and now Volcanos are acceptable to the designers because a player can predict what will happen if they choose to start a city in that space.

(And they've allowed for random events in the form of plague for medieval scenarios.)

The key to implementing late-start civs or revolutions that fracture powerful civs is to build rules around such events, and those rules should give the player the opportunity to avoid the pitfall -- at the expense of powerful incentives to accept the risk.

You should think about potential incentives -- what are some powers that would be nice to have? Extra Forbidden Palaces for decreased corruption, for instance? Then build a powerful disinsentive -- e.g. the fracturing of the empire -- into the acquisition of the new power. It can be embraced or avoided as the player decides, but since the choice is the player's the new dynamic system is fair.

In this way the late-start Civ concept becomes just another aspect of game play -- a challenge for the player to overcome or avoid. I think it can be both fun AND ring truer to our historical experience.

Mojotronica said:
The designers of Civ 3 have mentioned that they did away with random events because they were arbitrary -- they don't want to include game mechanics that penalize players without some indication of their peril. The negative effects of Swamps, Jungles and now Volcanos are acceptable to the designers because a player can predict what will happen if they choose to start a city in that space.

(And they've allowed for random events in the form of plague for medieval scenarios.)

The key to implementing late-start civs or revolutions that fracture powerful civs is to build rules around such events, and those rules should give the player the opportunity to avoid the pitfall -- at the expense of powerful incentives to accept the risk.

You should think about potential incentives -- what are some powers that would be nice to have? Extra Forbidden Palaces for decreased corruption, for instance? Then build a powerful disinsentive -- e.g. the fracturing of the empire -- into the acquisition of the new power. It can be embraced or avoided as the player decides, but since the choice is the player's the new dynamic system is fair.

In this way the late-start Civ concept becomes just another aspect of game play -- a challenge for the player to overcome or avoid. I think it can be both fun AND ring truer to our historical experience.

You still did not explain how it would be fun to have my cities declare independence and force me to either accept it or to lauch another invasion? I am with Arathon. This game is supposed to be fun and I do not see how this idea would enhance the game.

I would find it more fun to be playing a game where I don't reach a point halfway through the game where I am no where near the end of the game in any real sense yet the result of the game is already guarenteed. Large nations having the potential to split, either into rebellions, separate nations or largely autonomous sections would allow for a greater challenge in the game. This would be dependant on the way it is implemented. It needs to be done carefully where it is still possible to build a large empire. For example if all your cities were close together and on the same continent and weren't being neglected (perhaps measured by how developed the surrounding tiles are) then a large nation could exist without too many problems.

The Provincial Palace idea gives you the opportunity to build essentially unlimited Forbidden Palaces, greatly reducing corruption across your spawling empire, but at the risk of rebellion any city that includes a Provincial Palace.

The carrot: Unlimited Forbidden Palaces. The stick: Potential for Civ-spawning rebellion.

This is not the only way it could be implemented, but a lot of players like the idea of a dynamic civ experience, and this is a way it could be introduced without completely overhauling the rules we've come to know and love.

I would find it more fun to be playing a game where I don't reach a point halfway through the game where I am no where near the end of the game in any real sense yet the result of the game is already guarenteed.

I agree on this point. I think no one particularly likes that situation. I've found moving up in difficulty levels removes this problem. That and a ruthless crushing of opponents to get victory quickly.

Large nations having the potential to split, either into rebellions, separate nations or largely autonomous sections would allow for a greater challenge in the game. This would be dependant on the way it is implemented.

Splitting as an anti-snowball mechanism? Hmmm... Has a lot of problems, not the least of which is that lots of people like big empires and have no fun if they can't be big.

It needs to be done carefully where it is still possible to build a large empire.

If it's possible to build a large empire safely, all the good human players will do that. The AI will either have to do it that way or will be far too dumb to be a useful opponent. Plus, you then lose all anti-snowballing effects, don't you? And aren't you back to the problem you noted in the opening sentence -- a large stable empire?

Plus, book-keeping to keep yourself "safe" (and with no details, I have to assume that the algorithm will become known and exploited) sounds like the opposite of fun to me.

@mojotronica -- carrot and stick. How will the stick be implemented? Is it a dice roll every turn? One frickin' roll of the dice can remove almost a large chunk of my empire (say I have a capital and one "safe" Forbidden Palace plus a Provincial Palace)? Or would it be just one city where I can put down the revolt so easily it's a nuisance like the current whack-a-mole pollution? YUCK! Or is it controllable? Well, then, you just remove the chance for revolt before you build the PP. Sounds incredibly painful either way -- or any other way I can try to imagine.

Arathorn

It's similar to the Nuclear Plant. A % chance of disaster each turn. But the consequence would be similar to a culture flip. It means you'd probably have to spend time re-taking cities in the course of the game, or you could avoid it by tolerating the corruption.

So the anti snowball effect needs to be something that can be largely avoided if you are careful and are playing on the right kind of map but cannot be completely avoided. Also certain actions like allowing parts of your nation some independance might stop others from breaking away instead although if the tactic was over used then this vassal states may become too large compared to the home nation and declare independance but perhaps still maintain good relations with the home nation. I think it would be great to have situations in Civ where a nation can be formed with war (the USA) or largely peaceful (Canada, Australia etc). I think the eventual idea of this would also be to increase diplomacy so that if you had great relations with another nation and were in general helping them to survive then you could diplomatically vassalise them and at some point they might even join with your nation if they were suitably impressed with your culture, size and military capabilities.

What determines the risk? Is it controllable? If yes, then I'll just control the risk to zero and build a large empire. If not, then there's little to no reward for good play in gaining a large empire and playing well. A single dice roll can take it away.

Plus, there's the whole PAIN of it. Nearly everybody dislikes the exact way culture flips are done, but at least there are ways to control it. You're proposing to have a perfectly "safe" city -- an important city, no less -- flip out of the player's hands, just because.... A single city flip on a contested border has people up in arms. Do you really think flipping a city (or a whole section) will be fun???

Give some details. I think I understand what you've said, but you've given no details not ever explained why you think it would be fun.

Edit: Note: Nuke power plants do NOT have a % chance of danger every turn. If the city revolts, then they explode. If the citizens are content, it doesn't. It's completely deterministic. I doubt anyone would ever build one if it just decided to explode every now and again for no reason.

Arathorn

I would eliminate the Forbidden Palace if I had my choice. The Provincial Palace would replace it. The revolt would only affect one city, but because that city was previously the center of a region (rather than the frontier) the effect would be a little more catastrophic, and possibly lead to more flips.

The spawning of a new Civ rings with it the potential for that Civ to trade technoloy or form alliances with other Civs, which has other potential drawbacks and opportunities for you.

It's controllable by not building Provincial Palaces, accepting a higher than necessary level of corruption.

I personally like Culture flips -- I think of it as an added challenge. Civ 2 was awesome, but there was little incentive to focus attn on Cultural improvements while playing. It was pure conquest.

(And your note on the plants is well-taken -- thanks! I always thought it was a random event.)

Arathorn said:
If not, then there's little to no reward for good play in gaining a large empire and playing well. A single dice roll can take it away.

I think this is a bit of an over-reaction. It's not going to take away your empire -- just provide a challenge that you must overcome.

So, the option is between whack-a-mole on randomly flipping cities that I have no control over or really high corruption that I can't control? And you think that's fun?

I don't think we'll ever see eye-to-eye on this. We're just too far apart.

Arathorn

I like the idea of cities flipping to form a new nation having some dependancy on whether the surrounding tiles have been developed to the average standard throughout the empire as this could signify neglect. I also feel that having the cities go into civil disorder first or to become vassals would allow the player control to either increase happiness by moving troops into the area or building some improvement. If the riots continue because the player cannot afford the units for peace keeping then a new nation would appear. The majority of peace keeping troops that may have been sent (but were not enough to prevent the risk of flipping) would be returned to the main capital to avoid the stupid loss of troops which makes culture flipping so annoying.

It would be fun because of the sense of achievement that it would bring to actually form a nation and actually manage it through times of crisis and providing far more late game strategies. I feel it would also be fun to see new civs being created. It would be entertaining to be managing a medium sized empire successfully and then see a huge AI nation gradually unfold as it expands too far and then spends too mcuh trying to take back lands that it has lost. It would provide a far more realistic game as if history had been Civ, the Mongols would control the entire world rather than falling apart because a lack of united leadership and the gradual revolts of their conquests.

It would be fun for two reasons:

1) It provides a means for new Civs to spawn mid-game, within the framework of the classic Civ rules. It makes it possible for a game of Civ to adhere more closely to Earth history -- simulating the American revolution, for example.

2) It gives players another tool with which to control corruption. Currently each player has two -- a Palace and a Forbidden Palace -- and as the game progresses and Civs are consolidated their are fewer and fewer overall corruption sinks in the game. This mechanism allows a means to introduce unltd corruption sinks into the game, which should appeal to builders and conquerers alike.

Arathorn said:
I agree on this point. I think no one particularly likes that situation. I've found moving up in difficulty levels removes this problem. That and a ruthless crushing of opponents to get victory quickly.
Sometimes I feel it resolves the problem, but not always. There have been many games where I have struggled through the ancient era, managed to catch up to the AI by the end of the middle ages, then took the lead using stacks of cavalry. The early industrial age is fun, while I'm cementing my lead, but the late industrial era and the modern era get boring: I find that once I'm in the lead I seldom have anything to fear from the AI. And yet, if I go up a difficulty level (to try to get more challenge late in the game) then I'll never make it past the ancient era.

The problem is that the AI seldom capitalizes as much on the snowball effect as a human player can. I find that I catch up from behind much more often than I fall behind once I'm ahead. Changing the difficulty level really only changes how far behind I am in the early game and how long it takes me to catch up (if I can). It doesn't really change the fact that once I've taken any significant lead the outcome isn't really in doubt anymore.

They could always increase the number of difficulty levels, to make it easier to find a level that was just right: you were behind for most of the game and could catch up in the modern era. Such a game would be challenging and interesting the whole way through. But that wouldn't address the basic problem that the game is only challenging when you're behind or about even with the AI. It would be nice to be able to take a lead and still feel some element of challenge... still feel the threat that an AI civ might catch up and overtake you if you weren't careful.
Splitting as an anti-snowball mechanism? Hmmm... Has a lot of problems, not the least of which is that lots of people like big empires and have no fun if they can't be big.
It does have lots of problems, but then, corruption and waste (the current main anti-snowball mechanism) is one of the most complained about aspects of the game, so it seems to me its worth discussing other options.
If it's possible to build a large empire safely, all the good human players will do that. The AI will either have to do it that way or will be far too dumb to be a useful opponent. Plus, you then lose all anti-snowballing effects, don't you? And aren't you back to the problem you noted in the opening sentence -- a large stable empire?
On a high enough difficulty level, a human player might not have the option to build a large empire safely. If you're falling behind the AI, you'd have to make a decision: play it safe with respect to "splitting" and risk falling further behind, or take a risk of "splitting" in order to catch up to the AI. And if you were even with the AI or a little ahead, you'd have to decide whether to try to get further ahead (but risk splitting) or play it safe, even though that made it harder to pull further ahead.

And that, of course, is the whole point of "anti-snowball" - decrease the ease by which you pull further and further ahead once you're ahead.

And of course, when you say "the AI will have to do it that way or be far to dumb an opponent," you could consider that there are multiple AI opponents that might be programmed with varying levels of tolerance for splitting-risk. If the AI next to you expands faster than is prudent, they might be "dumb" in a global sense, but if the wipe you out before succumbing to a split, then you're not around anymore to laugh at their misfortune.

Splitting could make the field of opponents arrayed against you much more dynamic and interesting. One AI civ might expand slowly and cautiously, with little or no risk of a split. Another might expand more recklessly, becoming the dominant power in an early age but then falling victim to a split (or several) and fading to relative meagerness. In other words, not only would such a mechanism ruffle up the balance of power between player and AI, but it would also affect the balance between AI and AI, and there's all sorts of ways in which that could make the game more interesting.

Plus, book-keeping to keep yourself "safe" (and with no details, I have to assume that the algorithm will become known and exploited) sounds like the opposite of fun to me.
This is a valid point and an important issue to consider. My personal feeling is that there should not be any specific level that becomes "safe" - just graduated amounts of risk. When you attack a pikeman, you take on a certain amount of risk: how much depends on which unit you use. If you use a warrior, its a longshot; if you use cavalry, the odds are in your favor. But even if you use Modern Armor, there's always some tiny chance that you'll lose or at least be wounded. No amount of book-keeping with respect to unit strengths can make you completely "safe," and no one considers it an exploit if you can predict that cavalry is more likely to win than a warrior. In other words, predicting the relative risk of "splitting" should be simple, and there shouldn't be any absolutes that encourage one specific play style.

@mojotronica -- carrot and stick. How will the stick be implemented? Is it a dice roll every turn? One frickin' roll of the dice can remove almost a large chunk of my empire (say I have a capital and one "safe" Forbidden Palace plus a Provincial Palace)? Or would it be just one city where I can put down the revolt so easily it's a nuisance like the current whack-a-mole pollution? YUCK! Or is it controllable? Well, then, you just remove the chance for revolt before you build the PP. Sounds incredibly painful either way -- or any other way I can try to imagine.
I can't answer for mojotronica, but here's my take on the matter:

Such events should not be so rare and powerful that they devastate you when they occur, nor should they be so common and minor that they're a frequent nuisance (like pollution). They should be rare (but still possible) when you play conservatively, and somewhat more common if you expand very aggressively. They should not be so powerful that no one ever wants to play aggressively, but should be powerful enough that there's also reason to consider expanding more slowly. I'm optimistic that a suitable middle-ground could be found. Perhaps something like a few border cities splitting off together (not half your empire, but also more than a single city), and it would occur 0-1 times per game if you played it safe and 2-3 times per game if you took more risks and expanded less cautiously.

Top Bottom