Bad news: Next patch on hold

player1 fanatic

Fanatic
Link:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1851

Originally posted by kryszcztov
Tavis appears to have posted this in the secret CFC forum:

"The current status of the next C3C patch is On Hold. This decision was made about a week ago and was the result of several things:

1) Pirates needed the people
2) Fix attempts resulted in varying and disasterous results
3) Civ : Complete

I realize I made some heavy promises back in January, but I am not going to be able to delivery on them. I refuse to deliver another patch that launches like v21 (or worse) so at this point I can't make anymore promises. I have no idea when a patch will be made privately available or publically available."

So maybe 1.22 will all in all be our final patch. I hope not though.

I just hope that "eventualy" major things like barbarians and AI army use get fixed.

I don't want that in next few years people remember Civ3 barbarians by "don't step on NW-SE axis" tactics.

Kinda ruins Civ3 name.

I agree - having Civ4 in few years doesn't mean it is nice to play Civ3 with major bugs.
Hopefully the patch is only delayed and will fix those bugs.The worst thing would be having 1.22 as final patch.

I can't believe they are not committed to fixing major bugs in the game. Makes me wonder how they will support their future products.

wvfoos said:
What's the thing with the barbarians?

MAJOR SPOLIER:

Barbarians are buged.
Sometimes they are agressive and sometimes are just sitting ducks.

The thing is that barbarians units only attack other targets:
1) that are strait on NE or SE direction, or
2) unarmed worker/settlers/cities which are one turn away

I would assume Civ: Complete is Civ3 + Conquests in one package. I wonder if it will ship with 1.22.. you'd think they could justify spending time fixing Conquests in order for Civ Complete to ship with the latest and greatest *shrug*

It seems like a bad strategy to leave Conquests hanging like this: I'll be a lot less likely to buy Civ4 on release for fear of game-breaking bugs if they can't even fix an expansion pack.

watorrey said:
Who knows what:

3) Civ : Complete

means?

AFAIK its a compendium containing vanilla civ, and conquests (and perhaps the extra stuff from PTW which is missing in Conquests).
It is a bit odd in my opinion to release such a collection before doing the final patch...but perhaps it will make this patch more likely, because the game sells again.

Just another reason why I wait for games to go on the discount racks before buying them. Major bugs are more likely to be patched by the time I buy them.

Dwarven Zerker said:
Just another reason why I wait for games to go on the discount racks before buying them. Major bugs are more likely to be patched by the time I buy them.
Well, conquests is already on the discount rack (it was less than 10 bucks 6 months ago), and it's not fixed. Though I must admit, it is eminently playable.

Civ 3 Complete is basically Civ3 + Conquest in the current status where they still have some things like the submarine bug to fix.

I am not going to buy Civ 3 complete - I already have all parts of it.

But about NOT FIXING CIV3 ANYMORE

SHAME ON YOU, FIRAXIS!

**** on Civ4-3D-world, fix Civ3!

Chill out, Longasc.

Put yourself in Firaxis shoes for a minute. Say you only have so many programmers and that your budget doesn't allow you to hire any more. Say that you have two projects that are future projects that should bring in a fair amount of money when they are completed. Say that both of these projects had ambitious schedules and are slipping behind.

Now how would you manage your limited resources? Would you put your programmers on the new projects and try to get them out the door or on the project that is out the door and no longer really selling all that well?

I know what I would do.

Hmm...
And how is Civ3:Complete going to give any money if it gets shipped with 1.22?

If game is supposed to have XPs and golden editions developing patches is more logical.

For Firaxis it is perfectly logical to discontinue further patch developement for Civ 3.

Now, why shall I chill out, warpstorm? I see no reason why I should like your explanation only because it is logical. I am studying economics myself.

You are right now supporting the position of Firaxis of dropping the planned patch. NO, I do not chill out. How can you support this! :(

player1 fanatic said:
Hmm...
And how is Civ3:Complete going to give any money if it gets shipped with 1.22?

The same way most copies of most games are sold. Impulse buys when people see it on the shelf. 90% of all games are bought with no research whatsoever.

I assume Complete is just a bundle of Civ3, PTW, and Conquests. Maybe some fan-made scenarios and assets. If this is the case, there is little incentive for me to buy it.

Let's be serious, since Complete will be the last stop before bargain-bin status, at this point bug fixing is low priority. Most anybody who would be aware of the bugs in 1.22f either already bought C3C or will never buy it. In either case, Firaxis loses little money on Complete sales by not fixing the bugs on it.

LongAsc said:
How can you support this!

LongAsc, How can I support it? I'd rather they use their limited efforts on Civ4. That's all. They are a very small company. They only have a few programmers capable of fixing it. Unfortunately, these programmers are working on Pirates and Civ4. I'd rather they don't delay Civ4 by 3 months or so to fix Civ3. At this point I am more psyched by what Civ4 will be than what Civ3 will be if patched. It is self-serving in a way.

Most likely, they will get a lull in schedule and go back and fix them like they did for Gettyburg and SMAC recently.

Top Bottom