New Unit: Fiat Ansaldo 03/07/04

ripptide

Lost in the wastelands
sorry guys but the readme is pretty skimpy on this one (in fact you'd have to add stuff to it to make it skimpy) but I couldn't find any data on it. In fact, I believe the name of the manufacturer is Fiat-Ansaldo, not the tank, so any additional info you guys can dig up would be appreciated.

Fiat Ansaldo

Attachments

• Fiat Ansaldo.jpg
    Fiat Ansaldo.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Fiat Ansaldo.gif
    Fiat Ansaldo.gif
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,578
Hmm, no info huh. Well if no one else has found something by the time I log on tommorow I'll see what I can find on the web. :)

She's a beauty.
Nice work ripptide.

Keep up the World War I stuff, Rip. :D ((Even though I know this was from '33))

Whoohoo... another Italian tank!!! Thanks, Ripp...

unscratchedfoot said:
Yes, cute.

We need Chieftan or Centurion tank, not another war elephant!!!

HA HA HA HA :lol: for my mod you are right unscratchedfoot, but here are other guys who are working on WW1 mods such as Goldflash and Zulu i believe. :)

CV.8/25 would be an appropriate designation if we follow the Italian system of designating their tanks and armored vehicles.

CV stands for Carro Veloce (fast vehicle)
8 for the tonnage (8 tons as per Senturion's web link)
25 for the year it was built (1925)

At least that's what I'll use as a name. It falls right in line with the heavier tanks (M.13/40 etc). And, after all: In Civ, it's not an experimental vehicle. I will be building this thing by the dozens!!!!

Absolutely wonderful, Ripptide! :goodjob:

One reason I'm so excited about this baby is that I think it fills an important gap. In the thread "An Extinct Civilization Manifesto" I wrote re: Civilizations developing in mountainous terrain would "emphasize specialized infantry (alpine troops; ski troops) and (a) high horsepower-to-ground-pressure AFVs (e.g., light armor), including defensive armor (e.g., Strindsvagen) as well as short range aircraft (b) light armor for scouting and infantry support".

In this I was actually thinking of the Incans as well as the Italians / Romans etc. I was recently trying to imagine what Incan AFVs of the mid-20th century might look like -- and I thought of an excellent paved road network in formidable terrain, probably severely limiting even tracked AFVs to the primary road network. A "wheeled tank" seemed an obvious solution -- and that a Civ with an a somewhat analogous homeland terrain played around with this idea (and obviously didn't pursue it, as their combat requirements immediately took them far outside their homeland) made it seem as though I was on the right track.

So -- Many, Many Thanks, Ripptide :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Oz

John Falkner said:
HA HA HA HA :lol: for my mod you are right unscratchedfoot, but here are other guys who are working on WW1 mods such as Goldflash and Zulu i believe. :)

What do you mean WW1? I want the post WW2 centurion/chieftan from my vietnam mod and a lot of other people want it too. The Australians used them in Vietnam since the British didn't help.

This one rocks :D Any idea what the point of that nose cone structure is? The circular plates on the front... Hatch or just added armor?

I have absolutely no idea KB, although (assuming that the engine is in the front) it may have been some form of an attempt at a lovered vent/air intake. Just a guess on my part (and probably a poor one to boot) :)
EDIT: After looking at that line drawing again my guess was way off (

Top Bottom