Age of Discovery revisited

capman

Sea Dog
Goals
- Increase game length and difficulty. Compared to the other included C3C scenarios the original "Age of Discovery" scenario is way to easy for the european powers. At least that is my impression.
- Introduce an imbalance between european nations to allow the initially more advanced, i.e. Portugal and Spain, to colonize the new world earlier. England, France and the Netherlands have to concentrate more on stopping Portugal and Spain from getting rich. So piracy and raiding cities will play an important role besides colonization. Playing as England, France or the Netherlands is obviously more challenging.
- Focus more on sea warfare.
- More realism and historical accuracy.
- Initially less empty space in the new world which means more natives.

More info can be found here
[thread]92980[/thread]

Version 1.0
http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/scenarios/aodr10.zip
File Size 31 MByte

First Fix necessary after installation:
Copy the folder Conquests\Conquests\Age of Discovery\Art\units\Colonist into the folder Conquests\Scenarios\Age of Discovery\Art\units\ and say yes to overwrite contents.

Second Fix
Copy the file PediaIcons.txt into the folder
Conquest\Scenarios\Age of Discovery\Text\ and say yes to overwrite contents.

Bug reports and Feedback are appreciated
Thanks
capman

Attachments

• drake.jpg
    drake.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 4,092
Put contents of the zip file into your Conquests\Scenarios directory.

First Fix necessary after installation:
Copy the folder Conquests\Conquests\Age of Discovery\Art\units\Colonist into the folder Conquests\Scenarios\Age of Discovery\Art\units\ and say yes to overwrite contents.

Second Fix
Copy the file PediaIcons.txt into the folder
Conquest\Scenarios\Age of Discovery\Text\ and say yes to overwrite contents.

Then start C3C and select Civ-Content.
Age of Discovery revisited is the name of the scenario.

I've had a look in the editor, and it seems good.
But I've noticed a few mistakes: Zimbabwe should be on the eastern coast of Africa and the treaty of Tordesillas isn't a military allliance between Portugal and Spain at all.

Pascal said:
I've had a look in the editor, and it seems good.
But I've noticed a few mistakes: Zimbabwe should be on the eastern coast of Africa and the treaty of Tordesillas isn't a military allliance between Portugal and Spain at all.

Yes, the Zulu are the wrong african tribe to use. But I'm too lazy to look up the correct names. Any idea which tribe to use and where I can get town names etc from?

As to the Treaty of Tordesillas. Is a locked alliance automatically a military one in CivIII? You are probably right. But I got fed up when Spain started to wipe out Portugal in Europe. The Treaty is at least a no-attack alliance. But there is no way to set it up in C3C, is there?

And ideas how to accomplish this?

Don't forget Spain/Portugal were the strongest seapowers in the 15th and 16th century. So attacking them should be made more difficult.

The only problem I occasionally have is that France is too aggressive and gets conquered by Spain

AAAHHHH! It said it couldn't find the file for the settler! I was building one and then the game exited! :mad:

Beernuts1987 said:
AAAHHHH! It said it couldn't find the file for the settler! I was building one and then the game exited! :mad:

You mean the colonist, not the settler. Yes my mistake. I thought I could spare harddisk space from duplicated files.

Fix: Copy the folder Conquests\Conquests\Age of Discovery\Art\units\Colonist into the folder Conquests\Scenarios\Age of Discovery\Art\units\ and say yes to overwrite contents.

I think you don't need to restart the game. Just copy the folder and use your last savegame.

Thanks for finding the bug Beernuts1987, and I hope you will give it another try ;)

Of course i'll give it another try! I'll copy etc etc and play from my autosave... thanks capman! :goodjob:

Interesting. I started something like this myself so I'll definitely take a look. If you're still looking for an African civ then I'd recommend Songhay as they were a major African civ in this timeline. I've attached a map and text with some background info.

Attachments

• songhay.zip
    18.3 KB · Views: 307
Sounds cool KingArthur. I've found another bug!! The wargaleon apparently is missing something... My game is going well. Playing as Portuguese, I already own almost all of central Africa(except for one spanish colony that I will never be able to capture :mad: ) And I also own 3 islands in the Carribean. So far so good. Surprisingly no wars have started yet. But I can change that :D I love this scenario even more now! Thanks capman :goodjob: !!!

Beernuts1987 said:
Sounds cool KingArthur. I've found another bug!! The wargaleon apparently is missing something... My game is going well. Playing as Portuguese, I already own almost all of central Africa(except for one spanish colony that I will never be able to capture :mad: ) And I also own 3 islands in the Carribean. So far so good. Surprisingly no wars have started yet. But I can change that :D I love this scenario even more now! Thanks capman :goodjob: !!!

Groan... your're right.
2nd Fix
Copy attached file PediaIcons.txt into the folder
Conquest\Scenarios\Age of Discovery\Text\

And load last savegame...

As to playing as Portugal.. isn't that too easy? :)
The idea is to play as France, Netherlands or England and then trying to win the game by capturing Spanish and Portugese Treasure Galleons...

I guess the New World is now divided between you and the Spanish?
Which initially is what actually happened in the 16th century.

Attachments

• PediaIcons.txt
    52.5 KB · Views: 636
KingArthur said:
Interesting. I started something like this myself so I'll definitely take a look. If you're still looking for an African civ then I'd recommend Songhay as they were a major African civ in this timeline. I've attached a map and text with some background info.

Hmm, thanks for the info KingArthur. They are a bit too far in the north. I was hoping for a tribe in central or southern Africa. Especially to make the building of diamond mines more difficult.

On the other hand the ivory in the north is there to grab.
I'll have to give it more thought.

Hiya capman. For some reason my computer can't handle anything on a notepad, could you add it to the ver. as an update? That would be great! I played as portugal to get a feel for the scenario next i'll probably play as England :)

Beernuts1987 said:
Hiya capman. For some reason my computer can't handle anything on a notepad, could you add it to the ver. as an update? That would be great! I played as portugal to get a feel for the scenario next i'll probably play as England :)

Notepad? Are you using Internet Explorer? Just right click your mouse over the link "PediaIcons,txt" and select "Save Target As...". Then a file downalod dialog box will pop up asking you where you want to save the file.

I can't add it to the zip as updating it would mean uploading the whole 31 MB again.

Capman
I looked through the biq but haven't played the scenario yet. It looks good and I like your changes but here are a couple of suggestions. I'll have more (if you want 'em) after I actually play the scenario.

1. Consider making the native north americans playable. I would like that challenge personally.
2. Add a new government for the native north americans called confederacy: High War Weariness but large unit support and a draft of 3 and military police of 1, Corruption should be nuisance and standard trade penalty applies.
3. Instead of stagnation allow the north americans to climb up the tech tree as normal but restrict the benefits they get from the advances.
4. Add new unit lines for natives so they can't build medieval infantry and pikemen. I had the unit lines as follows (note I only had 3 north american civs to match the 3 meso/south american ones):
UNIT WHO BUILDS A/D/HP TECH UPGRADE
Native Archer Iroq. Sioux 2/1 Warrior Code Brave
Tribal Guardian Iroq. Cher., Sioux 1/2 Craftmanship
Mounted Wr* Sioux* 2/1 Horse
Tomahawk Thrower Cher.* 2/1 Warrior Code Native Archer
Eagle Warrior Maya, Az, Inca 3/1 Body Ornam. Royal Bodygd.
Brave Cher., Sioux 3/1 Story Telling Grizzly Warrior
Grizzly Warrior* Iroq. 3/1/+1 Story Tell. Armored Brave
Armoured Brave Iroq., Cher., Sio. 4/2 Medieval Com Native Musket
Royal Bodyguard Maya, Inca, Az 4/2 Medieval Com Meso Musket
Native/Meso Musket same stats as old world musketman.

5. I was never sure of musketeers in the new world. A much better choice would be 'Coureours des bois' who were Frenchmen living among the indians.
6. Make the north american indian workers half as efficient as everyone elses. Add a pioneer unit (worker with 150%) efficiency for the Euro civs and comes with the tech colonization.
7. As the scenario changed a lot of luxury resources to strategic ones there's room for adding some luxury back in. My preference would be Cacao and Brazil Wood.
8. Native units should cost 1 population point.
9. Add canoe and Sailing canoe for native civs.
Here's my 1/3 finished biq if you want to take a look. I also renamed some techs to make them more in tune and changed the flavours of some techs.

Attachments

• 6 MP Age of Discovery 2.zip
    118.5 KB · Views: 341
capman said:
Hmm, thanks for the info KingArthur. They are a bit too far in the north. I was hoping for a tribe in central or southern Africa. Especially to make the building of diamond mines more difficult.

On the other hand the ivory in the north is there to grab.
I'll have to give it more thought.

I'm not sure of a central/ southern one but maybe you could put a strong immobile barbarian unit on top of the resources - call them Tribes or something. I think there should be a slave resource (although perhaps politically incorrect it was a fact of life) in Africa. Perhaps this resource could allow the building of a wonder or produce cost free workers(?).

Also develop the north of Africa - add a few oases to the Sahara maybe a Berber tribe and a Songhay civ.

Ok, how about this capman: could you put it in a folder? Any folder will do. Thanks

Sounds a lot more interesting KingArthur! I'll check it out!

Thanks a lot for the massive input KingArthur

1,2,3. Well, I concentrated on England, France and the Netherlands to make it more challenging for them. I hadn't intended to make the native civs playable at all. Hence no addition to the tech tree and only few additional units to be more authentic. But it's definitly a way to develop this scenario.
However be aware that the AI has to be able to make enough treasure units, which means easy colonization at least at the start of the game.

3. How do I restrict tech benefits for individual flavors?

4. Ok

5. Ok. Musketeers are a bit too early for this scenario.

6. Hmm, worker efficiency gets already doubled when researching middle class. A separate pioneer unit would be too much I think. What I could do is allow the Colonist to be a worker at the same time. How do I set the efficiency to 150%?

7. Ok. Brazil Wood... you mean Mahagoni ;)
8,9. Ok

Develop north africa... not really. The desert has to remain unpassable. I think the original idea was to force colonization only via ships.
But I like the idea of a Songhay civ sitting on the ivory.

Checked out your biq. Isn't South America a bit empty?
A new gov type for north american civs is a good idea.

Beernuts1987 said:
Ok, how about this capman: could you put it in a folder? Any folder will do. Thanks

Sounds a lot more interesting KingArthur! I'll check it out!

I can't really see the problem. The folder for the file PediaIcons.txt is Conquest\Scenarios\Age of Discovery\Text\

Or you can even fix the file yourself by adding these two lines to PediaIcons.txt

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_WarGalleon
SpanishGalleon

3) All I meant by this was the native civs don't get the same units from these techs. You can also restrict the buildings they can build by assigning a flavour to them and assigning a required governement for appropriate ones. As for wonders these will already be taken by the time the native civs get to these techs.
4) I forgot about the middle class bonus. You can set worker efficiency limits on the units tab. Just remember that the AI will not cope well with the colonist being given worker abilities - when built the unit will be assigned either as a worker or settler and act that way for the rest of the game - this is too much an advantage for the human player to exploit.
7) I think so.

My biq was only 1/2 finished and since you have produced this fine scenario that's the way it's going to stay. I was going to leave south america depopulated except by barbarian camps. I was going to make jungle expensive to clear (double the number of turns). Also, I was going to set it so that cities could not be built on jungles. At the same time so as not to disadvantage the native player AI I was going to have cleared squares for them to move into so they could expand to those sites before the Europeans arrive.

Ok KingArthur. I have to give the tech tree some more thought concerning the native tribes entering middle ages.

There are also some new native american leader heads available. Some of those I used aren't that good.

When you are playing the scenario check the handling of the swashbuckler.
It initially had an attack strength of 5. I set it back to 4 as it would too powerful.

I also wanted to restrict its operational range to 1, so that it could only really attack from ships. Any ideas how to solve this?

Top Bottom