NEW UNIT: Knight of Anubis

Dom Pedro II

Modder For Life
This unit is based loosely on the concept art of Kal-El and, at least in my mod, is an Egyptian flavor unit replacement for the Medieval Infantry.

There's no grand "pack" announcement or cool picture to introduce this simply because it's just one unit. I have no plans really to do another Egyptian unit, but that could, of course, change. Especially if no one else does them in the future.

Anyway, enough rambling...

Knight of Anubis

Let me know if you have any problems. Should be ok though. :)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! [dance]:bounce:

Thank you!:D:goodjob::band::thumbsup::rockon:

Another awesome unit man, replaces the old choppy Chinese sword units.
Keep on chugging

Civilipedia Entry: :goodjob:

PRTO_Anubis_Knight
^
^
^The Egyptian [Knight of Anubis] is a deadly replacement for the (Knight or Medival Infantry, take your pick) for the Egyptians. An Egyptian city requires Iron in order to build a Knight of the Order of Anubis
DESC_PRTO_Anubis_Knight
^
^
^The Order of Anubis was founded in the 10th century AD(or CE for you politicly correct types) by the Anubis Priesthood in order to combat the increasingly agressive Arabs to the East, as well as various African Tribes to the South. Modeled after the Knights Templar, the Knights of Anubis' job was to safeguard cities where prominent temples were located, as well as to ensure a foe's quick passage to the afterlife on the battlefield via sword in the instance they were called to complement regular Egyptian Troops.
.......................................................................................................

PS: HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOLDFLASH!

Technically, Anubis had nothing to do with combat. It was a hawk-headed god (whose name escapes me right now. Not horus or Ra...) or Set, but Set's worship was outlawed for most of Egyptian history. But hey, it's all good!:cool:

I thought Set was the god of war? I figured that this would work well enough for anyone who wanted to change the name of the unit to Knight of Set since Set was also a dog-like creature.

Anubis was the God of Death, Set was the god of various things before we went evil. Including war.

This is very cool! Great job Dom P. :thumbsup:

... And the people went wild! :clap: :thanx: :worship:

-- BTW Anubis wasn't the god of death, per se. In the Egyptian mythos, when one died, one's soul was weighed in the balance against a feather called Ma'at. One performed a "negative confession" of sins one HADN'T commited with Anubis as witness and Ra actually sitting in ultimate judgment.

-Oz

PS Oh and yes Horus was the hawk-headed deity.

-O.

Awesome, I have been hoping for some really high quality Egyptian style units for my mod.

Actually, nobody knows what the hell Set is. He's like a donkey/pig/lion/dog...thing...

And no, Horus was the hawk-headed god of the pharaoh. The Egyptians had several Gods that had to do with war, Including Set (or Seth), Wepwawet, a jackal-headed god, and Menhit, a lioness goddess of war.

From http://members.aol.com/egyptart/seth.html:

"Cult Center: Ombos.

Attributes: Early in Egyptian history, Seth is spoken of in terms of reverence as the god of wind and storms. He was even known as the Lord of Upper Egypt. Horus being the Lord of Lower Egypt. It was Seth who stood in the front of the solar barque to defended the sun god Ra from his most dangerous foe, the serpent Apep. At this time, he seems to have had no conflicts with the cults of Isis or Osiris. In fact, he was part of the same family of gods, and married to his twin sister, Nephthys.

...However, it appears the followers of Seth may have resisted the followers of Horus and the First Dynasty pharaoh, Menes, when he united Upper and Lower Egypt. This struggle for control of Egypt seems to be reflected in the mythology. At this point, Seth is portrayed as questioning the authority of his brother, Osiris. The Osiris cults took this opportunity to discredit the followers of Seth; he was now considered to be Osiris' evil brother. And the story was told that Seth was evil since birth, because he ripped himself from his mother's womb by tearing through her side. In the Osiris legends, it is Seth who tricks and murders Osiris. He is also the antagonist of Horus. By the Twenty-sixth Dynasty, Seth was the embodiment of evil. He was depicted with red eyes and hair. The ancient Egyptians beleived red represented evil.

Representation: Man with the head of an unknown animal. Some times he takes the form of a crocodile. He is represented as a hippopotamus or a black pig in his battles with Horus.

Relations: Son of Geb and Nut. Brother of Isis, Nephthys, and Osiris. The husband of Nephthys or sometimes the husband of Taurt.

Other Names: Set, Suetekh."

-- Confusing, hm? It seems the cosmology was directly impacted by more worldly discord among varying groups of priests.

-Oz

Cool :D Hummm Now with this one done and Kal-el gone for a while I don't have to do the rest of the Egyptian units right? ;)

Top Bottom