New Unit: Final Fantasy Style Hi-Tech Airship

DJ Bonebraker

a.k.a Laura
Well, after more than a week of bumbling around and late nights, my first unit is finished. This airship is designed for multi-purpose combat and transport. I'm making this sucker available in the modern age with Aerospace technology as the upgrade to the Industrial era steam powered airship (a unit that I'll be making in the future).

Anyways, thanks to Wyrmshadow, BeBro, and the other unit creaters who helped me through this process, and to the others who've offered moral support on this project. The files are at the end of this post, and includes all animations, PCX files, and custom sound files. Enjoy!

edit: Now, thanks to Muffins, you can get the whole unit in one easy to download file :)

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/SF_Airship.zip

Okay, the animations preview is here. Order is Default, Fidget/Fortify/Victory, Run X2, Attack A, Attack B, Attack C and Death.

hehe, can't you tell it's Final-Fantasy based when you see it? :p

Hikaro, excellent job! Though it'd be cool if you added texture to it.

Nice job. Looks rather neat

Wow! I'm glad you guys like it. :)

Antiochus: Well, part of my inspiration did come from Tenku no Shrio Rapyuta (Laputa, Castle in the Sky), which is set in a victorian world, where technology is largely steam-based (they have armored battle trains :D), and the most advanced electronics they have is wireless telegraph. I wouldn't mind making a scenario based on that movie (and others like it), once I get my current mod project done.

Anguished: The model is fully textured (mostly with metal type textures), so I'm not sure what you mean. :confused:

BeBro: Thanks, I will, next project: Makou Cannon (although I have plans for a Final Fantasy XI style airship in the works. Basically it looks like a sailing ship with a bunch of propellers on it).

Aaglo: Glad you like it. And FYI, the twin main gun turret is in the 6-8 inch (152-203 mm) class, just to give you an idea of the size of the airship. There's a reason that the graphics for it are as big as the heavy cruiser. The reason is because this airship is supposed to be as big as the heavy cruiser, only it floats through the air, as opposed to the water.

GI dustin & Reno, thanks for the compliments guys. The design was partially inspired by the Highwind in Final Fantasy VII (If I can find/make a good model, I might do the Highwind as a Shinra UU, but that remains to be seen...)

Eh....I forgot it was a modern Airship oh well....when I saw the words Airship on thread...I was thinking Da Vinci style fused with Final Fantasy, thought the colors would be different and that the blimp was made of silk and heated by fire and the cockpit was made of wood....so my bad...

I'm just way too into FF9 so I was thinkin Renaissance style..

For Airships, we've got Aaglo's Warpship, Wyrmshadow's Various Blimps, and Embryodead's floating balloonship.

A Final Fantasy 9/4/5 style ship would be really cool. I have a request though...Make a yellowish standard version, and a darker, redish version. The later would serve as a Red Wing, the UU of the nation of Baron from Final Fantasy 4.

Awesome. Is it used to attack other airships or to strafe land? Just curious, but how does one armor a giant balloon with propellers?

Very nice work. Any chance you can do some more fantasy like airships like D&D style? If you are interested I can get some pics to post.

Anguished: U've got a Final Fantasy XI type airship in the works (basically a wooden sailing ship hull, except with twin rotors, and 4 vectorable thrust/attitude adjustment small propellers), that will deliver ship of the line style broadsides, but that probably won't be released until after I get my current unit project done.

Sword: I'm already using Aaglo's Warpship as my middle ages airship, available with Navigation. the FF XI type I'm planning to make available with either advanced steam power (currently known as "ironclads"), industrialization or refining. Another thing: Wyrmshadow made blimps?!?! How come I've never found one while spending hours at a time scouring the units forum backlog? All I've ever been able to find was Pesoloco's blimp, which, although good, does not fit the bill for my Tweaked Out mod the way, say, a Hindenburg type dirigible would.

Mr Will: all of the above. In the Final Fantasy mod, there aren't any true air units. All the "air" units in my mod are essentially land units that are faked to act like air units (i.e. treat all terrain as roads, have the recon and rebase abilities, etc.) The reason for this is that I absolutely hate nothing more in Civ III than their stupid immobile aircraft (well, with the one possible exception of the ******edly high corruption), but If I make the aircraft mobile, then a 1.1.1 Fighter (the most basic unit you can build in this mod) can destroy them instantaneously. Basically all that an Airship Dock does in my mod is allow trade between otherwise unconnected cities, and air-liftable units to be airlifted from city to city. Therefore, when the airship comes into contact with another airship (or other land or "air" unit for that matter) they'll duke it out until one of them is dead. I'm also making it possible for airships to transport foot units (that way, you can re-base them accross large distances to a remote city or airfield) for quick insertion deep into enemy territory.

And as to your second question, in this scenario, it's quite easy to armor an airship, all you need is mythril (a metal that's lighter and stronger than titanium) and your good to go. You can generate more lift by using mist (a semi-magical gas) to fill the gas bags, and Materia (magical crystals) with the "air" elemental property. As you can see, physics in the Final Fantasy world are rather strange, to say the least :lol: .

Tjedge: Maybe, but remember, I have even less time than most of the other unit creators, and crappier programs (I'm limited to Bryce 5 which isn't that great for modeling, but is pretty good for animation, and Blender, which is almost impossible to work with, and I don't have the time to try to figure its arcane UI out). Also, I've already started on my next unit project: the Makou Cannon :D I've attached one of the reference pics I'm using to build this sucker. So far, all I've got done is the larger structural elements, and have yet to even consider doing the various support struts and such. If I'm lucky, I'll have the model done by next week, but I wouldn't hold too much hope for that (remember I AM working 12 hour shifts at my regular job in addition to doing this, so progress is rather slow).

Ok, no worries. I have 3 D&D style airships, but there was one in particular I was wanting and you were the only one recently to build an airship. Just checking to see if you might be interested. PM me if you decide you want to give it a shot. No rush really. I have a substitute graphic in place in case it is never made. In case you know anything about Mystara it is the Heldannic Bird of Prey. No prob if your not interested.

Looking for this? ;)

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
For Airships, we've got Aaglo's Warpship, Wyrmshadow's Various Blimps, and Embryodead's floating balloonship.

A Final Fantasy 9/4/5 style ship would be really cool. I have a request though...Make a yellowish standard version, and a darker, redish version. The later would serve as a Red Wing, the UU of the nation of Baron from Final Fantasy 4.

Can you do a MOD for Vector in FFVI, I know I`m not supposed to request units but I have all the ideas, it`s just that I`m a horrible 3d artist

Wyrmshadow said:
Looking for this? ;)

Deeewd!!! Wheredjagetit? :drool: That would cut my workload by about 90% (although the rest of Junon's gotta go, I still need the main gun assembly). If you'd so kindly post a url where I could find such a model, I'd be extremely grateful, Wyrm.

Cataphrak: I don't know what you're talking about, since I haven't even played 6.... yet. Therefore I can't really say what kind of capacity I have for filling your request.

I can't divulge all of my secret model cache's. I sent you a PM about it.

Top Bottom