RPG Ground Rules Discussion

Black_Hole

Deity
Before requesting a forum, we want to show Thunderfall(And eyrei ;) ) that this can work. We need some ground rules to start us off, we don't want anything complicated like in DG2, just some clean old fashioned fun. What I mean by nothing complicated is no currency, banks, etc or a heavy ruleset.

Chat Office:
#rpgcentral on irc.irc-chat.net

!bclg
@SilverWolf(Bot)
*Black_Hole(Wanna-Be Op :lol: )

Links:(To Other Important Threads)
Story Registry

Members/Supporters:
Black_Hole
BCLG100
Zarn
Strider
CivGeneral
Immortal
Provulution
Stuck_as_a_Mac
truckingpete
blackheart
Ankka
Superpelon
Real Pave
snipelfritz
Giio

Basic Rules:

* In order to participate in the Demogame RPG at all you must first become a member of the Demogame.

* Inorder to partcipate in the Demogame RPG you must register your character within the Character Registration thread.

* You can only have one character, but you can kill one character off and create a new one. You can however only do this twice a term.

* You may not kill other players character unless they've agreed on it.

* You must follow all of the CivFanatic Forums rules.

* No Supernatural creatues and/or superpowers.

* No econimical things: Currency, banks, etc.

Story-Telling:

If you want to create your own story there are several guidelines you must follow:

* You must follow the Demogame Map (IE: Your story can not exist in a place we have not explored yet in the DG.)

* You must follow the tech limits from the Demogame. (Only tech's we have completed researching and the tech which we are researching at that point)

* You are alowed to create NPC's for your story.

When playing your character in a story please:

* Respect the person that is creating the story.

* Do not drag NPC's of your own making into the story.

* Try not to make it too spammy (loads of posts saying 'yes', would not be a good idea)

* Stories that follow demogame events or decisions are greatly encouraged (This is more of a general rule)

The Following Are Purely Optional [/B=i]

The Skills System

Purely Optional

Basically you start off with 5 points, you can allocate these 5 points to any of the skills you want, so far we have these:

Armed- primarily defensive (defending while armed)
Unarmed- primarily defensive (defending while unarmed)
Shield- (primarily defensive (defending with a shield)

Horsemanship (general term given to the next 3)

Speed (for races on the flat)
Steeplechase (for cross country racing)
Wielding a weapon on horse (couldnt think a of a better word for it) (for fighting on a horse)

weaponry (general term for the one's given below)
sword (attacking with a sword)
bow (attacking with a bow)
unarmed (attacking while unarmed)
(future weapons e.g. marksmanship)

so to begin with i may have the stats
Shield: 2
Speed :1
Sword :2

I then at the end of every term which i have been active in recieve 2 bonus points which i can add to any skill i want. (There is also the possibility of recieving a bonus point for being best story teller)

Additional Merit/Flaw Advanced Ruleset
Merit/Flaws are an optional part used to give your character spice.

* You can not have more than 3 Merits

* For each Merit your character has he must have a flaw

Merits are not always good, as Flaws are not always bad. A person with the Merit Huge Size presents a bigger target to archers where as a person with the flaw short presents a smaller target.

Current Merit/Flaws:

Merits:
Photographic Memory
Code of Honor
Common Sense
Concentration
Calm Heart
Self-Confident
Animal Magnetism
Ambidextrous
Natural Linguist
Daredevil
Perfect Balance
Jack-Of-All-Trades
True Love
Danger Sense
True Faith
Huge Size
Charisma

Flaws:
Compulsion
Nightmares
Overconfident
Phobia
Speech Impediment
Low-self Image
Deranged
Hatred
Amnesia
Confused
Weak-Willed
Absent-Minded
Hard of Hearing
Bad Sight
Uneducated
Insane Past Life
Twisted Upbringing
Mute
Short
Self Centered
Gullible
Simpleton

Post Here if You are Interested in the RPG!

Do we have to reside in our own nation's territory or can we be wandering merchants in other countries? And can we tie our character to our actual government posts?

many of us our still deciding the rules right now on irc
what are your views on it?

The merit/flaw system is an optional system that allows you to add spice to your character. It allows you to create a character that is naturally Calm (Merit: Calm Hearted) and has a strict code as to what is wrong or right (Merit: Code of Honor), but that character can also have an intense hatred towards something, someone, or even a culture (Flaw: Hatred).

Some list of Merits/Flaws:

Merits:
Photographic Memory
Code of Honor
Common Sense
Concentration
Calm Heart
Self-Confident
Animal Magnetism
Ambidextrous
Natural Linguist
Daredevil
Perfect Balance
Jack-Of-All-Trades
True Love
Danger Sense
True Faith
Huge Size

Flaws:
Compulsion
Nightmares
Overconfident
Phobia
Speech Impediment
Low-self Image
Deranged
Hatred
Amnesia
Confused
Weak-Willed
Absent-Minded
Hard of Hearing
Bad Sight
Uneducated
Insane Past Life
Twisted Upbringing
Mute
Short

The merchant guild was started up for RPing travelling merchants.

As for the rule against no NPC characters (or at least what #7 leads me to inter[ret) I want my character to have a wife and children!

Immortal said:

As for the rule against no NPC characters (or at least what #7 leads me to inter[ret) I want my character to have a wife and children!

Right now, we think that the person who created the story (the thread poster) should be aloud to make NPC's that co-align with that story. We really don't want people trying to play two differant characters... to confusing.

You can have your character have wife and children (and complain about them), but they never "appear."

well they can have that, but they just cant become seperate characters for you, i.e. you can refer to them but not control them.

BTW thanks in the chat room go to Stirder, Civgeneral, Black Hole (of course), Zarn and daveshack (i think thats it) and provolution of course :D

Immortal said:

I am to against the no NPG character rule. I personaly want my character to have a Girlfreind (That would become a wife and then children)

What I think it should be is that the NPC can interact within the storyline with any character but cannot own anything, cannot be a
lord or duchess or what have you unless your character already is (they cannot own a seperate title in other words).

They cannot change events within another players characters storyline.

i think that any additional characters you may want or need should be kept in your own story thread, otherwise it may make it far too confusing for other people.

Cg theres nothing stopping you from having that, you just cant have all members of the CG clan wandering around and confusing everyone else.

How bout we drop the 'G' in RPG and make it a Roleplay instead? We dont need any conflict managers or anything, we can manage ourselves, just nothing like characters never suffering wounds or never losing in battle. NPC's are allowed, just not so much as to make it confusing. And of course, 1 character each, and the NPC spouse and children if you want. And you can hint your strengths/merits and weaknesses/flaws while you roleplay. It would basically depend on everyone's ability to balance the roleplay out.

I might edit this more as i think bout it.

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
Im in. Put me down as an original founder/current supporter.
And where does Obsessive Compulsive fit in?

Compulsion is being obsessive over something. Like everything has to be clean or the like.

Civanator we were thinking of making a few people "SM's" (story managers) who create story's for the players to RP in. Of couse players will beabel to post there own stories also, but the SM's will post stories more based on DG events.

You can count me in. RPGing is fun...:D Also, do we get to name are caracters? I was looking at the archives too for the past DemoGames to see how this worked...

This looks fun..:D

- TP

truckingpete said:
You can count me in. RPGing is fun...:D Also, do we get to name are caracters? I was looking at the archives too for the past DemoGames to see how this worked...

This looks fun..:D

- TP
of course! :D

What do you guys think of character stats? I think we should have them, but not require somebody to fill it out. This way someone can create a tournament, or even those football games we had and have something to run it with.

Stats wise I'm thinking of this:

Strength: Do I really have to explain it?

Endurance: Pain-tolerance, etc.

Speed: How fast your character moves overall (not just including running speed).

Wisdom: Your quick-thinking stat.

Anymore idea's?

I just thought of something, should we allow people to play themselves? IE: If you are the President, are you aloud to say your character is the president or no?

Personally I don't think we should allow that. Let's make our governmental selves independent from our common everyday selves. Also, it doesn't make much sense if the president is going off on an adventure, or any of the other leaders for that matter.

Strider said:
I just thought of something, should we allow people to play themselves? IE: If you are the President, are you aloud to say your character is the president or no?

Personally I don't think we should allow that. Let's make our governmental selves independent from our common everyday selves. Also, it doesn't make much sense if the president is going off on an adventure, or any of the other leaders for that matter.

If the RPG has no basis on the real game and government , then what is the point? Are we just to wander around in the forest, blissfully ignorant of all goings-on but still scamming usage of the official map? You can pull your proposal off in the NES thread.

Detaching yourselves from the game will make it easier to forget about the actual game. Why not create an RPG where the players actually react to things that happen in the game, including the leaders that influence them?

The way this is going, you can count me out. Have fun, and please don't disturb the unmentionables.

Donovan Zoi said:
If the RPG has no basis on the real game and government , then what is the point? Are we just to wander around in the forest, blissfully ignorant of all goings-on but still scamming usage of the official map? You can pull your proposal off in the NES thread.

Detaching yourselves from the game will make it easier to forget about the actual game. Why not create an RPG where the players actually react to things that happen in the game, including the leaders that influence them?

The way this is going, you can count me out. Have fun, and please don't disturb the unmentionables.

I never said the RPG should not have a basis in the real game. Actually I've been campaigning the entire time to make it have a strong basis in the game itself. You can play your character to be blissfully ignorant of all-goings-on if you want to, it's all up to you. I am against a leader/president claiming there character is a leader or the president for the sake of realism. Tell me why would the president of the country be off on some adventure? Or why would a leader track down thieves? They should have more important things to do.

You really need to cool the jets, and maybe instead of ranting about one persons proposal contribute something useful. Fine, you don't like the way this is going? Then what do you want it to be like?

Top Bottom