Fantasy unit: FF IX/XI style Steam Powered Airship

DJ Bonebraker

a.k.a Laura
I got this bad boy finished, and I'll be releasing a Red Wing (FFIV unique Airship) later this week. This is the first model I built 100% from scratch using Bryce 5, and I'm pretty darn proud of it. I even made a special victory animation for it. I've also included a custom sound package that will be used for both this and the Red Wing variant.

Edit: Get both units in zip format in this post.

Steam Airship Red Wing Airship

Attachments

• SteamSnd.zip
    144.6 KB · Views: 635
Here's the preview for both variations. I had to shrink it to 75% of its original size to be able to attach it: Cycle is Default, run, fidget, attack, victory, and death.

Attachments

• SteamAS.gif
    SteamAS.gif
    398.4 KB · Views: 2,927
Red Wing is now complete :smug: Files available below. This unit uses the same sounds as the steam airship, so just download the sounds from the first post and unzip them into this unit's folder.

I love it! Going right into the game! You go Hikaro. One suggestion though. I know I'm not an expert but maybe you could add a little flag? :lol: :lol: Also what's the next unit, Master Hikaro. :lol:

It looks like a Industrial Age era airship...a step back from your previous airship work..

The airships from Final Fantasy 4 and Final Fantasy 5 would be another step back(escentally a Gallion with propellors instead of sails.). FF6 had the most unusual in my opinion.

That's close enough to how the FF4 airships looked that it's suitable for them. They didn't have a big tube belching smoke/steam, but everything else works, and it's not like you really could see much detail from the, what, 16x16 pixel icon? ;)

BTW, this is going into my Arcane Imperium mod as a "Warwing" - basically a flying warship and one of three true air units in the mod (the others being embryodead's transport airship and aaglo's flying castle).

your best unit for sure :goodjob:

I'm glad you guys like it.

Joshyman: Adding a flag in Bryce 5 would be rather problematic to say the least. Bryce doesn't have a skeleton system, or any other way to get a polygon to act like closth, so the flag would either be stiff as a board, or have to be made from 4-6 individual cubes, and animating it would be a b----, to say the least. As for my next units, I'm planning two from FF VII. The first will be used as the advanced barbarian unit (I'm currently using Embryodead's Giant), and will be the Sweeper/Custom Sweeper/Death Machine. Basically it's a two-legged mecha that has two gun arms and a vent on the front. I'll probably use the Death Machine color variant, since that was the most powerful version of the mech. Basically it'll have 3 attacks. The first attack will be Matra Magic (a bunch of mini-missiles launched at the target), the second attack will be the smoke shot (chemical attack that in FF VII also blinded charachters not immune to the status), followed by W/Machinegun (fires a burst from both gun arms). The second will be the Shinra GrossPanzer (one of the three Shinra UU's), which is a really huge tank with a spiky steamroller on front (ramming attack), a 240 MM main cannon (Grosspanzer Big), and two heavy machineguns/light auto cannons (Grosspanzer Small L&R). For those of you who played VII, you can encounter Sweepers in the Train Graveyard, Custom Sweepers in the blighted area around Midgar (on the world map), and you can encounter Death Machines in Disc 2&3 in the upper levels of Junon and the underwater reactor pathway. You can encounter GrossPanzers on the way up to the controls of the Sister Ray (in order to stop Hojo) near the end of Disc 2.

Sword: I'll be working on the Red Wing variant tonight. Basically it'll have a red hull (still have the same Civ colored areas, in case someone wants to use it for something else), and a few extra fins (and maybe a flag, if I can figure out how to do one so it looks right). I'm already using Aaglo's Phaseship as the Middle ages airship in my mod. Aaglo's phaseship was also responsible for my starting this whole mess, so I'll be sending him my therapy bills :joke:

Zurai: Glad you like it. The FF IV (and some of the other, more medieval FF games, for that matter) not having any kind of visible power source for their airships kinda made it a bit unrealistic, IMHO, so my Red Wing Variant will also probably have smokestacks (since it's available with the same technology, and requires the same resources).

Zeph: Thanks, I can only hope I'll get better with time (this is my third unit, after all...).

Very nice Hikaro! I to am a fan of FF and also flying ships. I very much appreciate this unit and I look forward with anticipation to your next creation.

Well, unfortunately, I've had to make a few fixes to the unit, making this the third of three units I've had to fix after uploading. :vomit: This time, however, I'm actually glad that someone commited an act of necromancy (reviving long dead threads), since the thread that was brought back to the land of the living was Kinboat's Itallian armored car unit, and KB mentioned that he couldn't get the "Rotate before attack" flag to work on land units. That's when I decided to give this sucker a good shakedown in game before doing any more work with my Red Wing variant. Sure enough, despite having the flag checked, the airship would not rotate to deliver the broadside on target. In addition, I noticed a slight semi-transparent border along the left and bottom, that was a result of the way Steph's SBB compiles bmp files into filmstrips.

As a result, I had to export my Flc's to storyboards, edit all the problems in PsP, and re-export them to Flc files. I tested the unit with the bug fixes, and it works perfectly. Note: the attack animations are now offset by 90 degrees from all the other animations, to simulate the "rotate before attack" flag being selected (when I tested it in the game, it looked just like the frigate going from move/default to attack).

The sounds, on the other hand worked perfectly (although I might need to reduce the volume a smidge), especially the fidget/fortify sound. It was awesome to see (and hear) the airship chugging along, and hear it blow its whistle before flying into battle.

Anyways, updated files attached to the first post.

Well, I've got the Red Wing variant done, and I'm off to bed :sleep:

Very nice. This one I might be able to use as a Gnomes airship in my mod.

Aah! Thios was the airship you were on about! Cool! It'll be in my mod.

Top Bottom