Classic GOTM 34: Second Spoiler (Entering Industrial Age)

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Classic 34: Spoiler 2:

On the assumption that you have successfully negotiated the ancient ages and moved the Zulu nation into the middle ages, how did you proceed from here?

Qualification for this spoiler is that you must have contacts with ALL civs; you must have at least a map showing the coastline of all major continents, and you must be researching an industrial-age tech.

Open - PTW

With the eleven new cites founded since the last chapter, the Zulu Republic was in control of most of the continent. Only a small pocket of Persian & Egyptians remained north of Carthage. Shaka sat staring at the map of his lands and called to his aide to get the military liaison. “I’ve grown tired of the green & red spots on this map, please do something about it” Shaka said and soon the Swordsmen & Archers were approaching Alexandria. Cleopatra was soon a guest in Shaka’s palace and her country was no more.

The spearmen in Antioch were warned that war had been declared between the Persians and Zulus and fought well killing two elite archer attackers before the veteran swordsmen overran their positions. In the Persian capital, Xerxes ordered a pair of settlers to depart hoping to stave off extinction as the Zulu swordsmen approached. Susa fell quickly to the Elite Zulu Swordsman and the first settler was easily caught, but the second managed to board a Persian galley. It was hours before the peace talks were to begin when a Persian warrior vainly attacked an Impi defending Arbela and the Zulu Golden Age was initiated. Without a navy (the lone galley had sunk in deep waters centuries before), Shaka was left with only the peace option when he met with Xerxes. As Shaka left the meeting he smiled knowing that War Chariots & Immortals would never threaten his empire.

The science council was pleased that the government had finally began fully funding their research and rewarded this support with Engineering, Literature, Feudalism, Invention and Gunpowder. Shaka stood to address the council “Ladies and Gentlemen, I wish to thank you all for your tireless efforts in the past 500 years, we’ve come from clubs and bows to the age of the musket and we have you all to thank for that. With our golden age in bloom, I am endorsing the proposal by Dr. Moonsinger to research Chemistry, Metallurgy, Monotheism and Theology during this period. I have instructed our military leaders to begin preparing mounted troops for a future visit to Carthage and am willing to wait for your mounted musket techniques before fully training the troops. I have also instructed our city planners to get those libraries built to help speed this research moving rapidly”.

What a crazy week thought Shaka, First opening the War Academy in Ngome and then hurrying to Bapedi for the Leonardo’s Workshop dedication with those speeches that seemed to drone on forever. He was glad to be back in the palace, even with all the new construction going on. Those two new floors were long overdue and would provide Shaka a place to keep he prize possessions such as Cleopatra.

The discovery of the techniques for mounted riflemen, led Shaka to the conclusion that it’s time to collect those gifts that Hannibal has been so nice to build for him. He called to his aide “I want a meeting this afternoon with the Army Commander and have him bring his Carthage Acquisition plan.”

Hannibal was not pleased, the Zulu Ambassador had presented him with a declaration of war and while confident in the defensive abilities of his troops against the troops of the era, he had no troops to retaliate with.

Commander Scoutsout surveyed his cavalry in battle formation at the gates of Theveste. This would be the first test in battle for these new weapons and he looked forward to see how Carthage’s best defenders would stand up to his men.

The Numidian Mercenary units we on high alert, since the war began, but had yet to see any horsemen or swordsmen. A cloud of dust to the northeast had been growing and coming closer so the battle would soon be joined. The readied their spears and awaited the Zulu blades. The footmen were braced for the impact of the cavalry charge, when they halted, raised an unknown weapon and from puffs of white smoke came death to many of the defenders. These new weapons had no counter for the brave defenders of Theveste, Sabratha and Hippo as the cities soon lay in ashes.

At the battle for Cadiz a miraculous event had occurred. A pair of heroes of the Zulu republic would step forward that grey day. Mpande led a cavalry charge destroying a veteran Mercenary unit and his bravery was rewarded with a cavalry army in is name. Later in the same battle Zwetithini would complete capture of the city and be sent to the far north to lead the construction of a new palace for Shaka. That two heroes would be born on the same battle when so many brave elite troops had been victorious seemed almost ironic.

At the celebration of 5000 years of leading his people, Shaka received two gifts from his people. The first a shiny new palace in New Ngome far to the north of his original settlement, the resulting commerce increases would add over 50 new pieces of gold each year to the treasury. The second gift came from a surprising source. Commodore Bugsy, leader of the Zulu Navy, had been sending brave Zulu sailors out searching for new lands, very few had returned. At the height of the celebration, Shaka was presented with contacts to the Aztec, Indian, Arab and Iroquois nations. He was pleased to find them all more backward than he and was able to empty their treasuries for some obscure technologies.

At the dedication of the Heroic Epic in Ngome (home to the recently built Sistine Chapel), Shaka received the notice that Carthage with the Pyramids and the Great Wall, had finally fallen to his cavalry. Of the original 14 Carthaginian cities on the continent, only Utica help out and with his mighty cavalry heading that way, they would not last long. With the fall of Utica, with its Great Library, the wisdom of Education and Chivalry were entered into the Zulu library of knowledge.

The end of two hundred years of war had taken their toll on Hannibal. He had lost all of his empire and was sitting in his island stronghold (with a nice view of Xerxes’ garden) when the Zulu ambassador approached with surrender documents for him to sign. At least I’m still free, unlike that tart Cleopatra.

The next three hundred years passed quietly, with his scientists producing new technologies at a constant rate (1 every 40 years) and his city planners busy filling in the open lands left from the Carthage wars, Shaka was content to relax and enjoy life for a while. The dedication ceremony for Copernicus’s new Observatory was his only foray from the capital (with Cleo there, why would he need to venture out?)

“You know, things have been a little too calm around here for too long. Get me General Grahamiam and (recently promoted) Admiral Bugsy, there are wonders and luxuries in the Arab lands that I covet.” Shaka said to his aide.

General Grahamiam began “With the 5 Galleons soon to be at our disposal, we’ll be able to land 16 Elite Cavalry units and our Cavalry Army in 5 days. Thanks to the vessels the admiral has provided, the replacements and garrison troops should arrive on schedule.” Shaka then replied to him “I notice your route is past the two remaining Carthaginian cities. Hannibal keeps whining about his cities. I think it’s time we put him out of his misery. Besides, let’s finish him off before he decides to trade something to Xerxes. I kind of like having him there busy researching Mathematics for over 1000 years.”

Three Caravels sailed to end the Empire of Carthage as the Middle Ages came to an end with the discovery of the Magnetism. Zimbabwe is busy building Smith’s Trading Post, Ngome JS Bach’s Cathedral and Pasagarde the Military Academy. Soon the caravels would return and with Hannibal and the fleet would be sailing for Arabia, but that final chapter will come another day.

Open PtW 1.27f

After getting contact with another continent in the AA it was clear that further research was needed besides Republic. Navigation was researched in 30 BCE and at that time I had the starting continent under control and over 60 horsemen.

I attacked Arabs in early CE's by landing about 20 horsemen there. They destroyed Arabs but too slowly, so I had started to research Chivalry after Navigation. That took 8 turns (needed Feudalism). During research I sent 30 horsemen sailing to Iroquois land and upgraded them to knights asap. I don't really know what went wrong. In 30 BCE things looked fine but it took until 370 CE before Conquest was achieved.

This time I went back to fast play after a couple of slower games (I tried to think more about my moves etc. but it didn't help much, hmm), playtime was 6.5h. Jason score was my best ever, almost 12k, but I expect many to score higher.

PTW 1.27f, OPEN

I spent the middle ages leisurely wiping out the Egyptians and the Carthaginians. In both cases I started much later than I should have and it was pretty easy going. First I took the Egyptian cities on the continent and made peace, getting a foothold on one of the local islands in the peace treaty. I got iron from one of the first cities I took and about 100 years later I attacked the final defender in a city with an Impi and started my golden age. Shortly thereafter I got my first great leader and made an army with him (swordsmen, I think, but I didn't write it down and it is long dead). After Egypt was relegated to the islands I turned on Carthage. Persia helped out here, ending up with about 4 cities far in the south and one island city, on the same island as mine. I got the rest of them and the Carthaginians were gone. I then took the rest of the Egyptian cities and prepared for Persia. I didn't get around to them until the Industrial ages, though.

In 990 AD I finally met the other civs, and they were backward. Mostly I ignored them, although somebody did get around to researching economics for me eventually. I researched towards wonders for my 20K city to build and so I spent a lot of time in the middle ages.

I did a little better building culture in my 20K city than I did during the AA. I started out building the Sistine Chapel, but I'd learned music theory before I finished it. I switched to Bach's Cathedral because I needed the happiness thoughout the kingdom. I lost out on the Sistine Chapel because of this. I ended up with Bach's, a university, the Heroic Epic, a cathedral, Shakespeare's Theater, Magellan's Voyage, a colosseum, and Newton's University in Bapedi. I built them in this order, which was dumb. The Heroic Epic was built when it was because I got a leader to rush it, but there isn't really any excuse not to have rushed the colosseum as soon as I finished the Lighthouse back in 10 AD. Having not done that, I should have rushed it when I rushed the university and the cathedral, but I didn't think about it.

I enter the industrial ages in 1515. My plan is to continue building culture in Bapedi and build up some military everywhere else so I can take over the rest of my continent. Persia has a fairly large military so I'm hesitant to attack without a military buildup of my own. Besides, they have those southern cities and no culture, so I have hopes of getting some to flip to me before I attack. My score is suffering because I haven't been quick to war with my neighbors, but I'm well ahead of all the AI in everything (except Persia's military). This is a nice change for a GOTM. I'm learning just as much in this game as when I'm struggling to survive; I'm just learning different things.

Open

Ancient Age

We reached the MA in 310AD (just 6 turns before Drazek finished the game, it seems). It appears that my on going use of swords/MI was a lot slower way to conquer than the horse/knight approach. Anyway, I thought I had done well enough in my conquests to make up for a slow start (no settlers or cities in mY goody huts :cry: ), and that I would follow the well worn path to a quickish domination victory.

With the Persians largely beaten, in 330AD we revolted to republic drawing 5 turns of anarchy. We also gave the Egyptians an ROP so we could safely circumnavigate their lands, and in particular the islands to the west of the starting landmass, to see if there was a safe route to the other continent.

In 360AD a suicide galley made it to the other continent, and contact with the Arabs. Maps and the republic got us maps, contact with the rest of the world and cash.

In 390AD we finally gave the beaten Persians peace for monotheism and their second to last city and only iron source. Unfortunately, even though we had the great library, and gave the AI every opportunity to contribute free techs, this was the last bit of help we had in researching through the MAs.

The Egyptian War
We do actually realise the value of mobility in warfare, and so beeline for chivalry as the preferred means of dispensing with Egyptian holdings. It takes to 530AD to get there, and 570AD to finish the forbidden palace (next to our palace). After moving troops, the declaration is in 590AD. I have around 20MI and 8 knights at this time, but I must say that the knights did about 80% of the work crushing Egypt! In 620AD we get our second leader. In 690AD we get our third. In 710AD Thebes flips on us, but it had one unit in it, and a stack of units next to it, so it is immediately recaptured. From this point on, Egypt has been totally marginalised, and exists only for leader fishing potential!

Space
Our second leader was used to jump the palace. Originally I was considering basing the second core in the Carthaginian lands, but the Persian lands looked much better territory, and so Persepolis became our capital in 630AD. This had an amazing effect on our research times. I noticed that we were now able to do 4 turn research on mid-late MA techs, without even constructing any unis. Then just after we finished Astronomy, we got our third leader in time to build Copernicus in Persepolis. This was the persuader to head for space instead. Maybe a perfect research record from here can make up for our relatively slower sword based conquest to date!

Navigation
Obviously it was our original intent to use navigation as the quick way to make an ocean crossing safe for the invasion of the second continent. Now that we were heading for space, and it is an optional tech, did we still need it, or is it just a waste of four turns of research? I am still not sure, but we chose to research navigation, in the end just because we had access to only three luxes, and the other five were on the other continent. So this enabled trading for more, earlier.

Tech Research
Even though we had researched the top line to Navigation, no AI had researched even engineering for us, so we had to go back and do it for ourselves. However, we had no difficulty finishing required MA techs in four turns each doing engineering, invention, gunpowder, chemistry, physics, ToG, magnetism and metallurgy in that order. We leader rushed Sun Tzus, and built lots of Unis during this time, entering the IA in 1120AD.

[PTW] 1.27f - Open Class

During the Ancient Age , I had a suicide galley contact the Arabs in 280AD. At the end of the AA, I traded for Arabia's world map.

Middle Ages

My map at the end of the AA. In contact with all civs.

I spent my time from the beginning of the MA until 620AD filling in and building up the former Carthage area. I built to the FP in a city NW of Carthage to give me two adjacent cores. In 620AD, with Carthage down to one city in the north. I sent a few horsemen and the one Impi I built for that purpose, to destroy Carthage and trigger my GA. At that stage, I had 22 Swordmen, 17 Horsemen, 4 archers, 4 Pikemen, 1 Med. Inf and 1 Impi.

I finished researching Chivalry couple turns later. (I went Fuedalism, Monotheism, Chivarly). By 710AD, I had converted all my Horsemen and was up to 26 Knights. At that point, I started the war that would liberate the continent and eliminate Egypt and Persia.

Initially, I had a MA with Persia against Eygpt, but in 850AD with the capture of Eygpt's starting area complete I turned my attention to my former ally. By this time, dispite some losses I was up to 36 Knights.

In 910AD, I eliminated the last Egypt city on the continent. They had a city on the northern of the two small islands to the west. (They may have respawned there.) Persia was down to one continental city, which I captured in 930AD. I had already seen their terriory border off west coast so I was building a couple galleys which I cash-rushed once I had some knights repositioned. By 970AD, I had taken the two off shore cities and eliminated my AA neighbors. By the end of the war I was up to 36 Knights.

In 1070AD, I switched to Republic after a 5 turn anarchy. I had held off switching goverments until after the war. In hindsight, I probably should switched at the beginning of the MA. I never had so many units that the Republic maintenance would have slowed my research as I feared. As it was, after a pause in my research to fund upgrades after Chivalry, I was able to maintain a 4 turn research pace throughout the war.

I got one ML from an attack on Persia, which I used to build the Cistine Chapel. I built all the MA Wonders. Around the end of the MA, I decided to try for a Histograph victory. So I concentrated my research on upper part of the tree after I got gunpowder. I detoured through Music Theory. I had built the GL but I only got one tech before I researched Ed. Egypt had beat me to HG so I took GL instead.

Towards the end of the MA, When I had research navigation and MT. I sent 6 caravels with 18 of my 44 cavalry to the other continent. They were all backwards, but the Iroquios we more so. They had Pryamids and two lux so I started with them. I declared war and landed my cavalry in 1345AD. By 1360AD, when I discovered ToG, I had captured two cities and pillaged most of the improvements around Salamanca.

classic 34 open ptw 1.27f

goal: pre 1700 domination victory (never had one in a solo game)

Entered MA at war with Egypt:

420ad recaptured umfolozi from Egypt

430ad peace treaty with egypt - get 2 cities and 14g

690ad we dow on Persia

700ad capture Gordium, capture Sidon, capture Bactra

710 Impi captured Tyre and triggered GA, capture Byblos,

740ad captured last known Persian city, made peace and got WM - they don't have a city, they're on a boat :mad:

900ad Tugela flipped to Carthage

920 built Leo's

940 we dow egypt

1030ad we dow persia, lose our galley

1080 we destroyed egypt (just in time, WW was going to kill us this turn)
AND we destroyed Persia's lone boat

1110 we dow carthage

1150 peace with Carthage for 1 city, WM, 25g (had captured 5 towns)

1295 wonder cascade with carthage getting copernicus

1300 dow carthage and captured 4 towns this turn

1325 FINALLY another GL [dance]

1340 ibt Utica deposed our garrison :mad: - lost one elite knight, 1 musket and 4 captured cats

1345 recaptured utica

1370 capture Carthage with Copernicus, pyramics, Great Wall, and SunTzu's
:D
1390 destroyed Carthage, Hmm we need to look for more "friends" (Hopefully with Sistine's and JS bachs built by others, my gamble on holding off meeting other civs and doing almost no research will be helpful and we'll get some techs from the GL)

1395 two galley spy a pink border
ibt one of our two galley sinks, the other survives

1400 meet Arabs and trade our WM for contacts and WM. Turn off research and we'll see what we get from the GL

ibt: we get chemistry, theology,education,banking,astronomy,navigation,
1405 - :confused: I wonder why I didn't get Music Theory and Economics which are also known; Oh well - trade Iroquois dyes, wines, incense and 40g for economics; trade India Economics, Navigation, wines,incense and dyes for Music Theory and spices; trade Arabs wines for 105g, WM, and 5gpt

1530 ibt enter IA and complete smith's

screenshot from 1465 (or thereabouts)

Open GOTM34

70 BC Entered the MA.

28 cities, 2 settlers, 2 workers, 18 slave workers, 14 warriors, 13 swordsmen, 2 galleys, 1 Impi (He started my GA), The Great Lighthouse, The Pyramids, 1 temple, and 1 barracks. I’m in my GA with I think 15 turns left.

I’m at war with Cartage they have 1 city left. They haven’t responded yet. Persia is gone. Egypt has 4 cities in the north but have responded already.

I have 2 little island cities and have just found a 3rd larger land mass. It could be the other cont. or a mid size island.

259gp & +4gpt. Republic gov.

30 BC Cartage has been destroyed 2 down 4 to go.

50 AD my galley made it. Met Arabia and there polite. Sell currency for Contact with Aztecs, territory map, and 13gp.
Sell currency to Aztecs for Contact with Indians, territory map, and 39gp.
Sell currency to India for Contact with Iroquois, territory map, and 7gp.
Sell currency to Iroquois for world map they had nothing else.
The Aztecs have the Great lib. so I will sell Rep. to them because Arabia has it.
I got 94gp and world map.

Looking back I should have given them contact with Egypt instead of currency.

I see city runes in India’s territory.

They all can get iron and horses if they don’t have it. Most do. Arabia is the only one without iron.

210 AD GA ends. Aztecs & Arabia are in the MA.

270 AD start a war with Egypt.

320 AD Egypt gives Giza for peace. Egypt doesn’t know any one else this will be a short peace.

330 AD start a war with Egypt.

350 AD took Alexandria and a worker. Egypt is gone.
Astronomy 8 turns.

430 AD got Astronomy, studying Chivalry then Navigation then to Military Tradition.

500 AD our force mostly elites is just waiting on boats (4) for Navigation in 3 turns.
I took elite swordsmen over the Medieval Infantry, I want to use they before the AI have Pikemen. My knights are in force #2 that will land on the other side of their island.

530 AD Arabia has Monotheism so we sell to Aztecs for Monarchy and all their gp. The Aztecs have the Great Lib. so they would get it next turn.
We got Navigation.

550 AD declare war on India. I pick them to go first as revenge for COMT03 and they are weak.

560 AD Calcutta falls to the attack on 1 lone elite swordsman and I get a leader! (First one of the game).

600 AD Delhi falls. 2 boats of fresh troops arrive in Calcutta.
Jaipur fall with 4 workers to the last knight on the other side of the island.
Jaipur has spice and Delhi has fur.

Start setting up a boat chain. I will be able to move troops between islands in one turn.

610 AD Indian archer pillages fur at Delhi.

640 AD our leader hurries our FP.

670 AD We have Gunpowder and 1 saltpeter already hooked up, what luck!!!
My approval rating is down to 57%, war weariness must be having an effect.
I hooked up fur again, approval rating is now 59%.

680 AD start a war with Arabia.

690 AD take the Arabia city of Basra, it has a harbor.

700 AD Indian city of Bengal falls India is gone! 3 to go!

We spend about 600gp rushing units and 1 temple in the old Indian cities.

710 AD Arabia is trying to send a settler and spearman thru old India. But I got him. Took Khurasan and 3 workers. Khurasan has gems but I can’t see it on any city screen and it is hooked up.

740 AD 2 of the Arabia cities now have pikemen. They are get iron someway. Arabia has no harbors the only road connection goes thru old India. The Iroquois are the only one with extra iron. The Arabia were getting iron thru my cities I pillaged a road to prove it. They don’t have iron any more.

760 AD made peace got city of Aden, worker, and 30gp. This is their little island. Now I don’t have to send boats there.

790 AD sold Education to Aztecs. Now their Great Lib. is all but useless.

830 AD started war with Arabia.

Education is now set to 0%, We don’t need any of the remaining techs to win. All of our extra money will buy temples to expand our borders.

860 AD Medina fell. Arabia are gone!

900 AD start a war with the Iroquois war.

930 Iroquois have 1 city. Attack Aztecs Take land bridge city.

960 AD last Iroquois city falls.

970 AD we take Tenochtitlan!

980 AD Win! Still 2 techs short of the IA.

Score: Zulu 4650
Aztecs 472
Arabia 368
Iroquois 258
Carthage 85
Egypt 73
Persia 26

Jason Score: Zulu 10076

Randy said:
Took Khurasan and 3 workers. Khurasan has gems but I can’t see it on any city screen and it is hooked up.
Minipics of luxuries have been mixed up since GOTM21 (I think, then new luxes were introduced temporarily). I got two incences (the second was silks), and silks were gems.

The key in my game was early palace jump and second core which enabled me to research MA techs in 4-5 turns without much improvements in BC time during GA.

I think it was great playing without barbs. I could concentrate on expansion/conquest and not guarding barbs especially in the beginning.

Open Civ 1.29f

After Ancient Ages ...

30 AD : I waited to complete some reinforcement. Revolution for 8 turns :(
70 AD : Egypt declares against me when I want their forces to remove…
110 AD : Peace with Carthage for 2 more towns in toundra. Carthage has now only one town :)
370 AD : GA triggered with a sword attacking an impi. Well timed. I am now searching towards Cavalry waiting for Persia to gain Monotheism as the only scientific civ. I am searching techs at 4 per turns helped by some infrastructure.
410 AD : Persia declares War how nice of them.
480 AD : I faced only one chariot from Egypt when they only had 3 towns remaining. I finish the war when they only have one town and a lone archer going towards some settlements left un-defended. Egypt now has only one town…
560 AD : I conquered nearly all Persian towns and faced few immortals. Persia has only 2 towns up in the north.
640 AD : I researched Chivalry and I can upgrade my 38 Horsemen to Knights and finish of the continent. I need to research as fast as possible towards Astronomy in order to be able to cross ocean without issues. I will then research MT.
850 AD : After ferrying 9 Cavs. I declare war on the Arabs. I am facing only spears. It is a real killing. I switch to Physics at 10% in order to make a lot of cash and to rush temples as soon as possible to be sure to reach domination earlier. I have 39 Cavs / 3 Knights / 6 Caravels so it is a lot of ferrying.
970 AD : All my army is now on the new world. 43 Cavs have destroyed the Arabs and are now attacking the Indians.
1040 AD : Indians are nearly dead while I am attacking Iroquois.
1050 AD - Domination by 9814 Jason ...

I had two leaders to build Leonardo’s Workshop to save cash for upgrades (590 AD) and Sistine’s…

Open PtW
Ancient age

After entering MA in 510BC I continued the peaceful course.
Gifted persians to MA, they got feudalism. I researched engineering and swapped with them.
All core cities built libraries, barracks and markets.
I then researched as fast as possible towards military tradition.
All suicide galleys sank until 250AD despite having the Lighthouse.
When I finally met the other continent, they were so far backward that I just traded for maps and a little gold.

In 400 AD MT was researched and the same turn Leonardo's workshop completed in Zimbabwe.
This also triggered the golden age
I had built some horses before and saved some money for upgrade. So my military in 410 AD looked like this:

My empire wasn't big, but consisted of very productive towns in the core.
Two northern towns provided dyes and iron via harbors, though the iron was never used to build a single unit.
The two former egyptian towns were acquired by culture flips.

Then I switched to steamroller mode :D . First egypt and by 440AD it looks like this:

By 530 AD I had the continent under control.
Persia and Carthage destroyed, egypt still had some islands, but no hurry there.
The only MGL I got on the home continent was used to jump the palace to Antioch for some speedy build-up in the northern part of the continent (FP was located in the middle of the old core)

After research up to navigation I loaded my caravels and landed an initial force of 36 cavs in Arabia, reinforcements coming every turn.
Arabia had no chance, they had spears and a few pikes and a total of 2 Ansars. So 620AD the map looked like this:

Then I decided to get this to a quick and dirty finish. I RoP raped my way through the rest of civs. 660AD:

690AD:

And conquest at 720AD:

Open

After entering the MA in 260 AD and making contact with the other continent, I immediately made emabassies with India and Iroquois, and set them up in wars against the Aztecs and Arabs, respectively.

While they fought on the other side of the world, I took care of business on my own continent. In 380 the Persians were destroyed. In 490, Carthage was destroyed, and in 590, Egypt was destroyed.

All the while this was going on, I built up a large force of galleys and horsemen. The horsemen became knights in 450 with the discovery of Chivalry.

The Zulu knights first set foot upon the other continent in 500 AD.

They were transported there via galleys making creative use of the Lighthouse. Several would go out empty, a few would survive in the Ocean. Those lucky ones received knights from other galleys on their way out, and then took them the rest of the way to the other continent. I lost a fair amount of galleys, but the knights were always safe.

From that point on it was simple capturing of cities, and knights against spears was quite the slaughter. In the end, after 250 years on the other continent, domination was triggered in 750 AD, my best GOTM result to date.

Wow - a very fast finish.

I wonder what the Dom ETA is for this GOTM.

I wouldn't be suprised if you beat it.

The sounds of heavy artillery pounded away as Zibebu patted his current steed. These battles were much different than the old folk tales, of how the Egyptians of the East were vanquished by the cold iron of swords. Carthagianians played for keeps.

Two years ago, the Fifth Mounted Regiment was attacked by guerillas just south of Bapedi. They were lucky to escape the assault. The Carthaginians were mad. For years, it had been status quo with the Zulu. But then they outlived their usefulness. Their research had been flagging badly, and as President Shaka coveted technology... some darn fool theories about "going to the moon"... along with several incursions into Zulu territory with fifteen or more regiments of riflemen, President Shaka decided it was time to send men to the front. Again.

The late-morning frost was not something Zibebu enjoyed. He was born near the, up until recently Persian, border in Ishandlwana. His uncle was one of the Zulus that Shaka trusted to go up north to defeat the Persians only a few years ago. He and many other cavalries proceeded to depopulate the rather unadvanced Persian nation. He remembered Shaka's entreaties to his army, for some great person or people to step forward... to distinguish themselves as men amongst their brethren. But just like the Egyptian campaign, not one soul did.

Zibebu's corps was in a flanking maneuver to defeat Oea. One flank was concentrated with two cavalries and three infantry. His brother was manning one of the numerous artillery pieces they had to drag all the way down to this god-forsaken tundra. Of course, Shaka always provided such expansive escorts for his cannoneers. Cavalry got bupkiss. On the other hand, they always were on the run. That was their only means of survival. And Zibebu wasn't crazy about walking anyhow.

Oea's flags flapped in the bitterly chilled wind. Zibebu's woolen uniform could barely keep the heat in; his gunpowder was about the only thing warm, against his body underneath his shirt for the time being. As his regiment laagered in the forests beyond, he knew that he needed to keep his major line of defense safe against the Carthaginians.

The morning was horrific. The seige on Oea shook the ground, and Zibebu had to calm his horse repeatedly. If only Bual had survived the attack upon Utica Zibebu thought bitterly. His steed had been at his finest, but then again many fine men were lost that day. He and his troop received even more instruction in the art of war at that time, becoming one of Zulu's finest regiments. And after a resupply at the barracks recently built in Carthage, the Fifth Mounted Regiment was resent to the front, along with Zibebu and his new horse. He knew that the Carthaginians did bring this destruction upon themselves. After all, they were the ones that kept sending troops to threaten the people of Zululand. They were the ones that could not leave well enough alone. Yet throughout the nation, the people were not happy with President Shaka for his deployment of him and his comrades, making them camp in such nasty spots such as these.

But Oea had to fall. Shaka desperately wanted to bring the entire continent under his control after those episodes with the Carthaginian rifle squads. He knew that the weak link was the south, as the Carthiginians had long ago sent caravels to contact those busybodies on the other continent, especially the Arabs. And those Arabs still had that pact with Carthage. But as President Shaka had ordered so many artillery and mounted regiments built, there would not be enough Carthage to save in a matter of months.

The next day, Thirteenth Mounted Regiment met up with the Fifth. This regiment was one of the new ones, put together in Pasagarde. Zibebu could tell the difference in the people around the eyes, and also the hair. Much different than Second Mounted, from Heliopolis. Zibebu offered a silent prayer to God for their souls, lost on the outskirts of Leptis Minor. Their commander thought that he had the Carthaginian riflemen beat, but he did not count on those damned Carthaginians' ability to scramble and defend. If only they had the benefit of those artillerymen that Zibebu had the pleasure to work with now...

The following morning, the artillery still pounded at the city of Oea. Zibebu knew from scouting reports that the only buildings that still stood were the rude lean-to dwellings the inhabitants were forced to move in to and perversely the Temple. The Fifth, Thirteenth, and Twenty-Second Mounted Regiments were scheduled to attack in the morning. Some would ride into immortality as the ones to finally bring the whole Continent under Zulu Manifest Destiny. Others had a different immortality, if the beautiful Sistene Chapel that Zibebu visited was right...

Fall... IN!

Zibebu saddled up. If not him, then the Thirteenth. Or the Twenty-Second. Or the Eighth, currently holed up in artillery-land but spoiling for a fight. Someone would finish off those Carthaginians. Eventually. As for Zibebu, he hoped the moon was enough incentive for this... Wait for it.....

ATTACK!!

:goodjob: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :clap:

Akane: Excellent story. I enjoyed the blending of historical and current events. Looking forward to future tales.

Open

After leaving the ancient age, which, due to my lack of foresight, had left me without horses or iron, having fought a pointless war with Persia, and desperate to settle the northern part of the continent, I proceeded to become more complacent. I pretty much stopped micromanaging and hardly took a care what I was building in my cities. In hindsight, if I had played properly I would have got a much better victory date.

First task was to hook up the resources on the northern area – done.
I also managed to get a fairly good cluster of cities up there. I took a risk leaving them so undefended from Persian attack, but I couldn’t afford to keep moving troops by galley through Xerxes’ waters. He was getting angrier and angrier by the day. Soon I would need to finish him off to establish a land link between my two regions.

Just as I had an army of knights poised at the gate of Persia, Hannibal declared on me! Oh well, he has the pyramids so I’ll finish with him first. I bring Persia into the war to give our relationship a boost, and then despatch with Hannibal fairly quickly.

Afterwards, I declare on Persia, and proceed to take them down, when the industrial age rolls around in about 1280AD.

By this point, I’ve given up hope of getting a good conquest or domination victory. Egypt will soon have rifles and by the time I get over to the other continent, who knows what they’ll have. My culture isn’t that much better than Egypt’s, so a 100K win is out the window unless I kill them first. No-one really likes me either so a UN victory is out of the question. I guess I’ll just bomb it through the ages for a Space victory then.

Switch to democracy and hope my war with Persia won’t last too long… :rolleyes:

denyd said:
:goodjob: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :clap:

Akane: Excellent story. I enjoyed the blending of historical and current events. Looking forward to future tales.

Thanks much! :) I always enjoyed reading your stories, but I knew that there were so many more to be told. I hope these parse as well as yours. :)

PTW 1.27 Open

3000BC War Persian - 2 wariors captures Persepolis
2800BC Peace + 94 gold
1000BC
F8=289, F5=212, F3=20, Pop=1071000, LA =13800, City=12
925BC Entered MA
920AD End of Cartage
930AD Conqest
Firaxis score: 5107
Jason score: 10742
Time played: 08:16:34

PTW, Open

Entered the IA in 1210AD, Carthage out, Egypt down to two cities (one on an island), Persia still in and about to be gifted to IA, all contacts (obviously), nobody else has Navigation/Magnetism hence everyone is being 'nice' to me on the other side of the pond.

May switch to Diplo because I reckon I can manage it in a record (for me) time.

My world entering the IA:

I have several cities 'up north' which have been taken by a minimum force. All MA wonders are mine, FP is in Ulundi.

Neil. :cool:

1.27 Going for 100K Culture.

Link to Ancient Age spoiler

Upon entering the Middle Ages in 210BC I gifted Persia there as well. Her free tech was Monotheism. So I set research to Feudalism, the other tech I'd need on the way to Chivalry.

In 130BC (4 turns later) I learned Feudalism, traded with Persia for Monotheism, and began research of Chivalry.

Also in 130BC I finally contacted the other continent. Much earlier in the game I'd sent out one suicide galley and it sank without meeting anyone. I didn't put any effort into building more until I'd finished addressing other priorities. It seemed unlikely to me that I'd gain much in trade from Regent AIs so it wasn't an early priority. And it turned out to be no big deal. Throughout the rest of the game I got bits of gold from the remote Civs but never traded for anything substantial and never had any direct contact with their units.

In 50BC (4 turns) I learned Chivalry and stopped research to fund upgrades - I had 19 units ready to upgrade to Knights.

In 10AD I began my first war. Carthage had built the Pyramids, locking in her position as my first target.

In 30AD I triggered my Golden Age with an Impi. (Three others had failed in 10AD.)

In 170AD I gave Carthage peace for one of her two remaining towns.

I'd built a Forbidden Palace in the home region long before this in 430BC. I now set up for a Palace jump to the ex-Carthage region. I used a new trick to help lock in the new Palace location - I moved 22 Knights, the bulk of my invasion force, to the target city. The Palace jumped nicely in 210AD.

Next my troops headed for Egypt, declaring war in 250AD and granting her peace in 300AD for one of her two remaining towns. During my invasion of Egypt I got my first two leaders. One rushed Sun Tzu's, the other rushed Hanging Gardens. I also started research again, wanting to learn Music Theory to build JS Bach's.

In 310AD I declared on Persia and invaded. And in 380AD gave her peace for two of her remaining four towns.

In 400AD I learned Music Theory and used my third leader, saved from the war on Persia, to rush JS Bach's.

I subsequently eliminated Carthage, Egypt, and Persia when my peace deal with each of them expired. And that was it for warfare in my game. I didn't carry warfare off continent - the homeland seemed a large enough base for 100K culture and I focused all efforts on reaching that goal.

I directed all funds first toward expansion (i.e. rushing settlers to fill in towns at the tightest spacing possible) and when I'd finished expanding, to rushing cultural improvements. First a library in every city, then a temple, and then just a few universities before I reached my goal.

Cities in my home region (centered on Forbidden Palace) soon finished building all cultural improvements, i.e. library, temple, university, cathedral, colosseum. Those cities also built marketplaces and banks. When they'd finished all that they produced military units to "production shift" - the military units travelled to corrupt towns and disbanded there to hurry production of cultural improvements.

After a while the cities in my new Palace region in ex-Carthage were near completing all cultural improvements. While they'd been working on those I'd prepared another Palace region in ex-Persia, roading, mining, and clearing jungle. In 890AD I jumped the Palace there, again using a lot of military units to attract the Palace to my target. Then the cities in that region began producing cultural improvements.

The final result: 100K cultural victory in 1480AD. My world map at that date:

Not a spectacular 100K date but not bad. I think that Regent level turns out to be as much a hindrance to a quick 100K game as a help. Monarch or even Emperor opponents would have helped research and would have provided more and larger towns to take over.

Top Bottom