Units : Animal#1 - Horse

Dark Sheer

Deity
This is an animation for horse as requested by Skywalker. And yes, you hear me right, its just horse. No saddle and no rider, just a plain good old horse. ;)

The files inside the zip are:

Horse.ini
HorseDefault.flc
HorseRun.flc
HorseCapture.flc
HorseDie.flc
HorseFidget.wav
HorseCapture.wav
HorseDie.wav

Version 1 removed after 22 downloads.
Version 2 now include dead animation and dead sound plus increase the delay of the fidget in Default.flc.

Attachments

• horse.zip
    355.3 KB · Views: 588
As some of you always insist on a preview, here it is. ;)

Attachments

• horse.gif
    horse.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,502
Occasionaly I hear that Civ II does not support land trasports and sometimes the opposite. could some one please clear this up as the horse would be a very usefull and historicaly acurate land trasport unit for artilley etc.

For example the numbers for opperation barbarossa quoted;
3,000,000 men
3,580 tanks
7,184 artillery
1,830 airplanes
and 750,000 horses

Even in the highly modern and sophisticated german army almost everything was transported by horse. (plus it gave the troops something to eat once general winter finaly caught up with them)

It's going to be a 0a0d unit, with either 1 or 2 m, and carries one foot unit. I'm going to make arty units foot instead of wheeled, and immobile. The only exception will be radar arty, since it's self-propelled. The horse will require horses, of course :)

Maybe the horse can be a barbarian unit that can be captured. That way, when you get it back to a city with a barracks you can upgrade it to a horseman or a knight or some other mounted unit. This would probably only really work for a scenario of some type, but it's an idea.

Only problem - the setting for what you get when you capture a defenseless enemy unit is set in General Settings. The default is worker: one worker captured = one new worker, one settler = two workers. So if you captured a barbarian horsie, it would turn into a worker - that is, unless you changed the "captured unit" default into an upgradeable horse - in which case every time you captured enemy workers and settlers they would turn into horses!

Hmmm.. :crazyeye:

Originally posted by The Troquelet
Only problem - the setting for what you get when you capture a defenseless enemy unit is set in General Settings. The default is worker: one worker captured = one new worker, one settler = two workers. So if you captured a barbarian horsie, it would turn into a worker - that is, unless you changed the "captured unit" default into an upgradeable horse - in which case every time you captured enemy workers and settlers they would turn into horses!

Hmmm.. :crazyeye:

That's a good point I hadn't thought of. However, I know you can capture artillery from the AI and they don't turn into workers. Maybe you'd have to trick the computer by giving it a bombardment rating of 1/0/1 so the computer will think it's artillery when you capture it. Then again, maybe it's too much trouble to use the unit this way... :)

No, no, you're absolutely right! I didn't think of that... The only difference between Workers and Artillery is that Artillery have a bombard value and the "Artillery" box is checked for AI strategies. It must be a hardcoded thing, I think...

Originally posted by The Troquelet
No, no, you're absolutely right! I didn't think of that... The only difference between Workers and Artillery is that Artillery have a bombard value and the "Artillery" box is checked for AI strategies. It must be a hardcoded thing, I think...

Well, if I ever give it a try, I'll be sure to post the results here. Thanks.

Horse looks great, perfect for pulling my large bore super cannons around :) The only problem is a purely cosmetic one, the fidget animation plays a little fast... Is this something that can be fixed in the INI file or is it inherent in the animation. If it's the animation maybe if you get around to a death animation you could also fix the speed... Just a thought, if you're busy with other projects just ignore the faint buzzing that is my whine.

Originally posted by Kinboat
Horse looks great, perfect for pulling my large bore super cannons around :) The only problem is a purely cosmetic one, the fidget animation plays a little fast... Is this something that can be fixed in the INI file or is it inherent in the animation. If it's the animation maybe if you get around to a death animation you could also fix the speed... Just a thought, if you're busy with other projects just ignore the faint buzzing that is my whine.

The fidget delay (actually its part of Default as I thought a horse that just plain standing there is boring :D ) can be easily fixed by adding a few frames. I will fix it when I get home this evening. ;)

And I will see if I can also add the death animation at the same time too. :)

The first post in now updated with the new zip that includes dead animation and also tweak the Default animation so that the fidget last longer.

And here is a preview of the dead animation. ;)

Attachments

• horsedie_sw.gif
    horsedie_sw.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 2,231
Great (and fast) work, thanks. I've just downloaded flicster myself and am starting to look into it. Still a ways to go before I get anywhere near the quality you guys at. :goodjob:

To make the horse capture friendly, you have to give it attack and defend stats of '0'. That's why you can capture artillery. I tested it by making the unit the basic barbarian instead of the warrior and for the first 8 turns all I did was capture horses.

Originally posted by solwen
this is the horse model from the ultima online game right dark sheer ?

Yup, it sure is. ;)

And I am now working on a Fanatics animation based on UO's GM graphics. :lol:

Sorry for bringing such an old thread up, but I get an error message whenever i try to open the run flc. Does anyone have the run flc?

Top Bottom