New UNIT; KV2 Russian heavy tank

Smoking mirror

Ships Captain
At the order of our glorious leader, stalin, I have finished the design for a Soviet tank capable of taking on the might of the Panzers head to head.
Here it is the KV2 heavy tank, a strong tank unit for the Russians.
Create a folder in your CivIII/Art/Units folder called KV2 and place all the files from the three downloads in the folder. Add a new unit to your scenario and call it the KV2 (check other threads on how to add units, the procedure changes depending on which patch you are using).
The KV2 is an early soviet attempt at a heavy tank. the KV one looked almost the same (with a smaller turret) and have the same main gun as the t34 (I forget if it was the 76 or the 85) but it was decided that it would be silly to have a heavy tank that had a main gun the same as as medium tank, so they opted for the moster turret that sits attop the KV2.
The KV2 was slow and unmanoverable, and could only turn its turret on flat ground, but with thick armour and a hard hitting gun it is a usefull unit for attack.

Here is part one;

There was a KV8 with a flame thrower, later I may use the attack from my cocodile (nearly finished by the way) to set something up.
As well as the KV series ther was the IS1, IS2 and eventualy the IS3, these were some what better than the KV tanks and I will model up a IS2 and IS3. The IS3 was not available in time to have an impact on the war, but Civ III is a "what if" game, so I think the IS3 as the end product of soviet WWII tank reseach should definatly be made. Besides the russians will need something to stand up agaist the Maus that every one wants built.

Here is part 2;

And here are the sounds. I have just used sounds from other firaxis units so you may want to find your own on pablostukas' sounds thread. Remeber that KV2AttackA is a cannon bombardment, and KV2Attack is a machine gun attack, so the sound will need to refect that.
If you are as lazy as me use these;

I know every on likes to know what the unit looks like before they download it so here is a shot of the KV2.
If some one would like to do the civlopedia information, feel free. I will post a high quality shot of the model for a large PCX if they do. ;)

Nice Pic. Like that.
Now i have a german tank and a russian one.
I only have a question.........if I add a unit it replaces the unit after i renamed it in the editor! So i will losse my other tanks!
Any solution?

i think you should make the gun barrel wider and shorter, the KV-2 had a 152mm howitzer as the main gun, not the 76mm gun that the KV-1 or T-34 had... more like a heavily armoured assault gun than a true tank...

i think its AT capability sucked... not 100% sure tho...

LOL! Those things died WAY too easy. Ah well, just more meat for the Tigers
Right on:D

Any way good unit Smoking mirror:goodjob:

P.S.the tiger and tiger II had a 88mm gun and the Maus had a 128mm gun:eek: and I heard some where(not sure) that it had a 55mm and a 75mm gun to

Originally posted by PC Commander
Right on:D

Any way good unit Smoking mirror:goodjob:

P.S.the tiger and tiger II had a 88mm gun and the Maus had a 128mm gun:eek: and I heard some where(not sure) that it had a 55mm and a 75mm gun to

the JagdTiger had a 128mm gun as well.

the Maus never had 55mm or 75mm versions, except maybe in the early stages of the prototype... I think

Hello!
Maus HAD a 128mm gun KwK 44 L/55 with 68 shells, as a main gun. In the same turret the 75mm gun KwK L/36 was mounted coaxially. It was no VERSION with 75 mm, this gun was a standard secondary armament. Two MG-34s cal. 7,92 mm were also used. AA armament - 20mm Mauser MG 151/20 was only in project and never fixed.

Well I admit that the MAUS looks great, but I think that playtesting of a WWII scenario would show the maus to have the same problems as the army unit. Most players don't build armies unless they are already winning. single units fare badly against the solidarity of several units formed in to an army, but if the army is outnumbered, or subjected to combined attack (air support for example) it can quite quickly be destroyed, and it only has one attack, so only one enemy can be eliminated by the counterstike. It is like a land battleship, and history has shown that air power has reduced the importance of battleships to almost nothing. Agaisnt a weak soviet force, deprived of air power, the maus would be great, but by the time the maus was developed, the balance had already turned and the germans would have been better of building more air fighters, and light tanks. An interesting scenario would be to play as the germans, with a starting point coinciding with the destruction of the 6th army, and the loss of stallingrad. Could any one have recovered?

Thank you very much Smoking mirror. I have wanted a KV-2 for some time. Call me weird, but I have always had a soft spot for this lumbering behemoth.

Jagdpanther is absolutely correct in his appraisal of the intended deployment of the KV-2. It was never intened to fill the role of heavy tank, rather it was an armored assualt howitzer. The KV-2 was created in response to the Soviet Union's experience in the Winter War with Finland. The Soviets had a very difficult time taking out fortified bunkers in the Mannerheim Line. It was envisioned that the KV-2 would roll up to a bunker or other heavily fortified position and blast it to bits from relatively close range, hence the need for lots of armor.

The stats for this unit should favor bombardment strenght over attack strenght with a high defensive rating.

the JagdTiger had a 128mm gun as well.

I know I thought I put that in my last post must have forgot:rolleyes:

P.S. This is one gun you would hate to be on the wrong end of the Sturmtiger had a 380mm gun:eek: :eek: :eek:

Attachments

• sturmtiger.jpg
    sturmtiger.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,744
EPILEPSY WARNING!
The alternative "B" Attack for my KV2 has an effect that could cause a reaction from people who suffer from epilepsy (Flashing light, machine gun effect). If you have any problems (or even if you don't, I myself have had "reactions" to playing games for prolonged periods of time. Even games with no flashing lights) You can use this replacement animation.
It is basicly the same, but the flashing is less rapid.

Just replace KV2AttackB in the KV2 folder with this Flc of the same name;

Originally posted by Smoking mirror
EPILEPSY WARNING!
The alternative "B" Attack for my KV2 has an effect that could cause a reaction from people who suffer from epilepsy (Flashing light, machine gun effect). If you have any problems (or even if you don't, I myself have had "reactions" to playing games for prolonged periods of time. Even games with no flashing lights) You can use this replacement animation.
It is basicly the same, but the flashing is less rapid.

Just replace KV2AttackB in the KV2 folder with this Flc of the same name;

this is a really good idea.

Top Bottom