New unit; Harrier jumpjet

Smoking mirror

Ships Captain
As an englishman, I felt that it would be a crime not to have the Harrier jumpjet, one of the most sucessfull british airplane designs ever, in the game of Civ III.

The Jumpjet is an exelent plane, able to take off and land from almost any location. During the Falklands war the Harrer also showed its superiority over other, more traditional designs, able to use its vertical thrusters during combat manuvers sidesteping enemy missiles and performing turns that would leave standard jets all in a spin. The harrier is not as fast as some moden jetfighters and is used mostly in a ground suport role able to shake of the most determined interception attempts.

To install the unit create a folder in your CivIII/art/units folder called JumpJet and place the contents of the following zip file in it;

harrier

Here is a large preview of the unit, it could be made into a Civilopedia image;

Attachments

• pedicon.gif
    pedicon.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,297
I would suggest using the harrier as an advanced ground attack plane with a high defence value (used to avoid enemy intercetion missions) and a mid to low attack value (used to perform intercepts). It should have a high bombard value and those wanting to be realy adventurous may want to give the unit a move value of two and the blitz flag (able to bombard twice in one turn, or intercept twice, or perform a multi-role mission, bombing and then providing fighter cover).

The Harrier jumpjet is used by several nations and is one of the most versatile designs in the world used in dozens of wars in the last twenty years.

If there are any problems witht he unit, lease post them here.
Here is a 8way preview of the unit as it would look in the game;

Attachments

• 8wayhar.gif
    8wayhar.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 5,433
THAT PLANE IS SOOOO SWEET :D

I love this Jet its so nice :)

"Boss, Ze plane Ze plane" -Little short persion in some movie ;)

You did a great jod with that harrier. It will make a perfict addition to Kinboat's British Carrier :goodjob:. Ever thought of doing a MiG-21

I just wet myself when I saw this.

I have been waiting a long time for this, but the wait was sure worth it.

Have anyone considered making an F-16?

I kind of have an F-22 based of Someone elses default.flc posted a long time ago. It is a cut and paste job though, so it tends to wobble alot. Nonetheless if anyone wants the whole thing I'll post it and maybe someone with PSP skills can fix the "wobbling" problem.

pfft Falklands.... the great British Empire vs Argentina. :p It's like talking how great American tanks were against the forces of Saddam Hussein.

Well, if you had been there Neomega, I'm sure you would feel differently.

Smoking Mirror - That is REALLY impressive. I think you have hit your stride.
You should be promoted, to major. ;)

Excelent Excelent Excelent :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

This is going to make an excelent adition to my game. Now all i need is the British Carrier.

Thank you very much:D

During the time of the Falklands the Argies had a big army, If only Thatcher hadn't given away the supprise attack by the Paras, they nearly got wiped out, but we still won!

I made a units32 for you. Smokin Mirror, I hope you can make some other planes, you did a great job on this! A mig or an actually carrier based plane like an f-14 or a Mig would be cool! Later, Shramj

Attachments

• harrier.pcx
    1.5 KB · Views: 326
That is a very nice unit. I will be including that in my Civ3+ mod right away. If only you could units like the British Jump Carrier that could only carry choppers and VTOL aircraft, that would make this really great. You could have a Jump Carrier Fleet, one that is less dangerous, but less costly, than a "super carrier" fleet. BTW, that Iron Frigate of yours was awesome.

Originally posted by Neomega
pfft Falklands.... the great British Empire vs Argentina. :p It's like talking how great American tanks were against the forces of Saddam Hussein.

Point taken (a bit), But I would say the Argentine's in ratio got some pretty good licks in via the air, ask the Royal Navy! The Argentine Mirage's did FAR better than any Iraqi equivelant, and I would not by any means equate this with the quality of the Brit's forces. The Argentine pilots where better trained to push an attack than the Iraqi's.

AND... Superb unit!!! I love the art Smokin mirror has this unit thing down! :goodjob:

Top Bottom