Airbase

zulu9812

The Newbie Nightmare
Mmmm...I checked my PMs for the first time today and Skb240 had asked for the airbase unit back in July. Ooops, sorry Sk8240 :o.

I couldn't find it on CFC, so I'll just post it here. It's only a default flc (the old CTP2 graphics) and an attack.amb. Although I gave the airbase 0 defense and attack so it's capturable, so I don't actually use that 2nd file.

btw - I didn't make it and I forget who did.

What is the purpose of an airbase, and is there a preview of this floating around somewhere? I've read comments here referring to airbases from Civ2 but I never played it.

Thanks

basically, I use it as an immobile airdrop unit. I airdrop it 8 tiles from my city - after that, it can't be used. What it does is to act as a transport for aircraft, so you can rebase planes to the Airfield and carry out bombing missions from there.

What about having it so it can be loaded onto a truck, moved and dropped down anywhere. Kinduv to simulate engineers in a truck going out and setting up an advance airfield. I presume this involves flagging 'immobile' as well as 'load'. What do you think? I haven't tried using it yet as I just reinstalled the game after a 5 month break from it.

I kind of missed the airbase from Civ2.

Except for those times when I would accidently fly into one I didnt see and end my units turn prematurely.

:hammer:

No airbase in PTW either. Just those radar towers.

Originally posted by zulu9812
I've enver tried but I think that would make aircraft too powerful - 8 tiles is enough for me.

I'm thinking of how American took over Iwo Jima to establish an airbase close to Japan for its B-29's. The japanese did the same thing earlier in the war by peppering all the pacific islands with airfields in a futile attempt to try and slow down the american navy. So its a pretty realistic thing from my point of view. The downside is the risk of the airfield being captured, although the AI probably would lack the smarts to go take it out.

thisismymsn had a point though - man, I wish firaxis would make the ai understand the concept of land transport instead of walking everywhere! It takes my allies forever to get through my land to the battlefront where I need them. And they block my transport routes with their meandering soldiers.

zulu9812:

So what needs to be flagged in order to allow planes to re-base to it? Sounds like a good idea to me. I hardly ever use bombers from land because by the time they're available my borders have expanded so that I can only reach a sqare or two of my neighbor's territory. With this I could set up an airbase close to my border and actually get some range in their territory, right?

Top Bottom