Middle Eastern Power

NewWaver

Special Agent
EXPANSIONIZATION

Possibly one of my best games as the Babylonians, as there's lots of expanding through the Middle East. I started this game using Marla Singer's Earth Map, and relocating all Civs to their 'real' starting positions - the way the game should be, as far as the Earth map is concerned. The Babylonian tale isn't finished at this point (still playing it to this day, so I might update this in the near future), so I'll just tell about what's been happening so far.

Note: In this game, the only Civs that aren't in the game are the Iroquois and the Persians.

-----------------

In the beginning, I built my capital along the Tigris River, as Baghdad. Almost immediately, I sent my Warriors to key points - Caucasus Mountains, Sea of Marmara (Istanbul), Suez Canal, and eastern Persia. The reason I formed these blockades was because I already had the vision of what areas I wanted to control...before taking the world by storm.

My first Settler was sent to build Istanbul. By this time I had already met the Greeks. I encountered a minor problem when building the city. By the time my Settler reached its location, the location was within the Greek borders. I decided to risk it and built Istanbul within Greek territory. Obviously, this triggered a war (my first). Unfortunately, for both the Greeks and I, we had a pitiful army. If not, none at all. So, even though there was a war, no battles took place. After a while, the Greeks signed a peace treaty without demanding Istanbul become theirs. My first risk became a success.

The eastern blockade met the next problem - India. Because I wanted to build in specific locations, and would stop at nothing to get my way, I did my best to keep 'all' opponents out of my building area, and borders. The Indians, however, became an annoyance as their Warriors kept moving in. And it wouldn't be too long before they attempt to build there. So I moved my troops with the Indian intruders to try and push them back to where they were 'allowed' to go.

It was about the time of meeting most of the European Civs when I had my first 'real' war. The Indians had crossed the line. I had already started to build in Persia (Iran), when the same Warrior decided to move into my border. Immediately, my blockade units attacked the scum. After winning the battle, I moved my units to the east towards India, attacking any units in my path. During this time, the Indians formed a military alliance against me with the Romans. So at this point, I took units from my western cities and moved them towards Rome. Luckily for me, I managed to bring the Greeks into the war against both Rome and India. When reaching the first Roman city, I spread my Horsemen around the city, surrounding it. But moments before the actual attack, a counterstrike from the Romans took place, as they brought in a Roman Legion unit from the south. This attack caused my Horseman to retreat. The attacks on the city itself weren't as glamorous. At the point where I now had damaged Horsemen left, I retreated. Just to save my own life, I signed a peace treaty with the Romans as I headed back to Istanbul. The war in the east, however, proved more of a success than the west. After destroying all Indian units standing in my way, I entered their borders and approached Delhi. Exactly at the point of where I was on the outskirts of Delhi, Gandhi wanted to speak with me. He wanted to sign a peace treaty! So it goes to show that sometimes a Civ will be brought to its knees if it has a pitiful army, and you're approaching the capital city. I decided to be nice this time, and made peace with them. For the record, no Indian unit entered my building area since that war.

After the war, which I will now label 'The Stone Wall Campaign', it became a time for expansion. Not many wars happened at this point, so this gave me time to build up - and build up big. My borders now spanned from Istanbul to East Iran, Caucasus Mountains to Persian Gulf. I'd built the cities of Mecca (Saudi Arabia), Aden (Yemen), and Masqat (Oman), but because of growth problems, being almost surrounded by desert, the borders of those 3 cities are yet to expand and connect to the rest of Babylonia.

Around this time, I made a decision to make the Suez Canal. I moved a Settler in the best location for the city of Suez, and built it. But then, I decided to make an investment out of it, and sold it to Egypt.

So now I had control of Iraq, Iran, Israel, Syria, Jordan, The Lebanon, Kuwait, Turkey, the city of Mecca, and most of Oman and Yemen.

Now some more problems arose...

Egypt decided to built a city in between the cities of Mecca and Aden. I didn't realise the Egyptian Settler had been there until I saw a Galley move away from the shaded location. I moved my Pikemen towards the inferior city (I was replacing my Pikemen with Musketmen anyway). They demanded that I leave their territory or face war. So war it was. After weakening the defenses, I took the city. Due to the fact that I didn't plan to ever build a city there, I chose to raze it. In its place, I took a Worker unit and built a Fortress, guarded by a Pikeman.

At the same time I declared war with Egypt, Greece stepped in as military allies against me. So I found myself moving my troops through Istanbul and Jerusalem, ready to take out the Egyptian/Greek scum. Looking for allies of my own, I went far and wide. Unfortunately, I had no embassies with European Civs, yet. But I did have one with China. I managed to get them into a war against Egypt and Greece. Shortly after, they had the rest of Europe and Asia against them.

This became the longest war in Babylonian history (so far). It took a while to seize the Suez Canal. After I did, I moved my troops to the Egyptian capital, which became even harder to take. After moving these troops into Egypt, I sold Suez again. This time, I sold it to Rome. The war in Greece was just as difficult. It took ages before I took out a few Hoplites (this was just in Athens alone). Fortunately, a Greek city to the north (located near real-life Sevastopol, Russia) was easier to bring down. I razed it on entry. As I moved the successing units in the north towards Athens to help the struggling troops in the south, the Romans built their own city in the same location the Greeks had theirs.

After a very long siege with Horsemen, Catapults, Knights, Swordsmen, Longbowmen, and Musketmen, Athens finally fell to me. I didn't raze this city, as I thought I would make money off the Greeks later on. It was after Athens fell when I signed a peace treaty with Greece. The Egyptian war stopped shortly after, as I found that my attacks were heading nowhere. I moved my troops out of Egypt, passing Roman controlled Suez. Egypt, still at war with Rome, took the city back soon after I'd left the scene. However, the city rebelled and became mine a while later. I then decided to sell it back to Rome.

In conclusion, for now, I've been able to prove that Babylon is a fortress. With the dawn of discovering Metallurgy, I am now modernizing my army, disbanding 'all' units out-of-date. There will be no Horsemen or Knights. No Pikemen or Catapults. With my Gunpowder-based weaponry, I will become a force the world will think twice about swindling with. Just wait until I get Nuclear Weapons...

Watch this space!!! :egypt:

good :) , give us some images of the map and the game.
Hey why do u sell "Suez" all the time? I think you should keep the city to yourself.
By the way, give us screenshots and details about how much gold do you have and how many units and how many cities and remember about the screenshots :) ... i hope u update it soon.

you press printscreen.

then you go in your favorite imaging program, use the paste command, and save it as jpeg or png.

MODERNIZATION

I'm gonna start off with a short message - since I started this post, the game's been pretty full on. Not only am I successfully guarding my homeland - I am now spreading out into a new corner of the globe.

But lets see what's been happening before I get into that...

------------------------------

After settling the Greeks in their homeland, I decided to sell them their ex-capital of Athens back to them. At this point, the Romans were at war with them still, so not long after this, they came into Greece and attacked them. Then it happened. Rome razed Athens to the ground. Only one civilization benefits from this, really. Babylonia. Why? Because Rome has one less city, as the Greeks do also, and I'm the one who earned some money from it. ;)

While that happened, I found myself building up again, when something happened that I should have seen coming. Yet another unwanted city was built in Saudi Arabia. Not suprisingly, it was Egypt yet again. This time I decided to teach them a lesson once and for all. I immediately destroyed the city. At the same time, I captured Suez (now possibly the most captured city in the game), and sold it to Rome. Then the second seige on the Egyptian capital. The first seige involved Musketmen, Catapults, and various others, and I couldn't take it. But now, with Riflemen, Cannons, and Cavalry, I managed to take the capital. I decided to make Egypt a Roman state by selling Cairo to them along side of Suez. After this, I moved to the south to another Egyptian city. By this time, the Zulus had already taken a large amount of Egypt. I reached the target city and made my move. The city was razed. After I razed the city, some of my allies had taken the rest of their cities, except for a few. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't find the remaining few cities, so I decided to take my troops home. Even though I didn't make peace, my Egyptian war was virtually over. Sometime during this, the Greeks had been wiped out.

It was around this time I decided to make a new profit out of selling cities. This time, I decided to load a couple Galleons with Settlers, Workers, and 2 Cavalry units, to set sail towards Greenland. After building the cities of Julianehab and Godthåb, I started building a road between them, and began to mine the tundra surrounding them both. At that time, the Aztecs landed in Greenland. So I decided that they should have them, seeing as they've come so far. :p

Just as my Egyptian armies made it across the Egyptian/Israeli border, a new threat appeared in Iran. The Russians decided to move their Cossacks and Longbowmen into my borders. I demanded them to leave, but they declared war. I had to act fast before I lost any cities. Luck was on my side. I drove the Russians out of Iran. Unfortunately, they had a protection pact with India, bringing them into the war. So I found myself against two enemies in the east. The Russians, however, didn't seem to attack much after I drove them out, so I concentrated more on India. It took me a long time before I got to raze the first city. After that, I made peace with them. When I was driving Russia out of Iran, I managed to capture their city in the Caucasus (Baku). I sold this to Germany. While fighting India, I tried to take another Russian city in the north. A long time passed before I razed it. The end of the Russian/Indian war came sometime after.

Not long afterwards, I was at war again. This time Rome and France had a go at me - big mistake! The first city to be crushed was a Roman settlement in Afghanistan. It was razed. After this, I razed the Roman city in the Ukraine. After that, Rome made peace. Around this time, the news of the Egyptian empire being vanquished had came. As for France, they deserved what came to them. While moving my Riflemen, Cavalry, and Cannon units towards Paris, I also had a North African section to take care of. Also around this time, England was at war with me. They owned a city in Libya, so I captured it, then sold it to the Zulus, who now had control of all of Egypt. I continued to move west to French North Africa, and I razed all but one of the cities I came across. I spared Casablanca, and sold it to Shaka. As I was approaching my next North African city, I stopped. In the north, in France, I had succeeded in my plans and captured Paris. After which I had make peace with France. At this point, I decided to act differently to my past, and kept Paris for myself.

The carnage was finally over. After conqueriung Paris, I was at peace with everyone.

After the war, which became (technically) World War I (due to the fact that each civilization was fighting another), I resumed to build my cities. Around this time, the city of Baku was Chinese controlled, and soon after became mine, as the people admired my culture. The same happened with the Zulu controlled cities of Suez and Cairo. This time, I decided to keep these 3 cities, just in case I needed them.

Building went on. Around this time, I was wondering about the future Babylonian army, and how I would manage to get decend weapons. It was here that I made an important decision...

After studying the map I am working on through the map editor, I discovered something that I'm glad I knew before it was too late. There was one place in the world that hadn't been discovered yet in the game. And in the map editor, this piece of land has a decent amount of rubber and aluminium supplies. It caught my eye - Babylonia decided to set sail for Australia.

I planned on building at least 3 Galleons to complete the task. One with 4 Workers, another with 4 Settlers, and the final one would carry an Army unit I created after a Leader appeared in my North African campaign. In the end, I think I used about 5 Galleons. Most of which were full of Workers (almost all of them captured from other countries). Before landing in Australia, I had one thing to do first, and that was to take care of the masses of Barbarians that lived there. Once I had my Galleons strategically placed in each corner of the continent, I landed my Army in Western Australia, where I was almost instantly attacked. As you would imagine, Horsemen and Warriors can't do an awful lot to an Army of one Rifleman and two Musketmen. Due to the slow movement of my Army, the 'clean up' was going to take ages to do. Luckily, my Workers were finished serving in Greenland, along with my 2 Cavalry units. So I placed them on the Galleon nearby, and sailed them to Australia passing through the Bering Strait and into the North Pacific. Finally, they reached Queensland, and sped up the process. Once the Barbarians were settled, my own settling was about to take place.

The first city to be built in Australia was the Cairns. Soon after was Melbourne, followed by Perth, and finally Darwin. All four corners of Australia had been settled in. By this time I had the ability to use rubber, so I immediately sent 2 Workers to the nearby resources around Cairns. The roads came shortly after, leading to Cairns, which was instructed to build a Harbour. All of the Australian cities were to build a Harbour first, but this changed after more roads had been built in between the cities. Cairns built the Harbour, and things were looking bright back in the Middle East. I could now build Infantry units there. The Babylonian army is now getting stronger.

At the same time, I was able to build some small wonders - Heroic Epic (build in Baghdad, after my Army being so successful in Australia), Intelligence Agency (built in Baghdad), Battlefield Medicine (built in Jerusalem), and the Military Academy (built in Baghdad). I can now use oil as a resource, and in addition to this, I've started to build the mighty Babylonian navy. I currently have 2 Destroyers, 2 Battleships, and 1 Carrier. A Submarine is on its way. I'll be sending the Carrier to Australia to wait for when I have aircraft. Once I build them in the homeland, I'll be sending them to the Carrier to guard the coasts, as it may take a while to build an airport in any of the Australian cities.

So as you can see, Babylonia is, and will be, a power not to be messed with. With access to the rubber and aluminium, I will soon have the weaponry to kick some major butt.

Will update you soon! :egypt:

Well, it's been a while since I updated this. Actually, it's been a while since I last played the game (I kind of had a small holiday :p).

Anyways, I've just reinstalled the game (I had to free space a while back) and will try and get back into this particular scenario. I am, however, having problems loading the SAV file of it (Civ3 keeps crashing for some reason :(). But alas, I shall return soon enough. ;)

If you can buy and sell cities, you have an old patch. This might be the crash source.

Just figured out the problem - my computer. It's just slow and horrible. All I needed to do was wait longer, and it was there.

If this keeps up, I'm going to have to update my system sooner than I thought. The idea of running Civ3 on a Pentium II with a 9GB drive and 64MB of RAM is not the best option.

Anyways, the game is under way, and will be updated as soon as possible. ;)

P.S. A new game is in progress too - an American scenario using the same map. :)

Yeah, post some sceenshots! :D

Top Bottom