• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Which flag should be Fanatika's new flag?

Which proposal should be Fanatika's new flag?

• Proposal 1

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Proposal 2

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Proposal 3

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Proposal 4

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Abstain

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Octavian... that's not the Transparent one... it's the "White" cut out version.

could you, shaitan please replace the flag with the transparent one? it is only a cosmetic correction and it was discussed before, so i think it would maybe be ok?!?
i dont know.
so every1 who votes: the white triangle on the war flag is NOT there. it is transparent!

Originally posted by disorganizer
could you, shaitan please replace the flag with the transparent one? it is only a cosmetic correction and it was discussed before, so i think it would maybe be ok?!?
i dont know.
so every1 who votes: the white triangle on the war flag is NOT there. it is transparent!
I think replacing it would be fine. It's a representation of a flag with a cut out. A poor representation doesn't change the cut out. Octavian will need to change his post though. The one showing the cut out is fanatikawar2cut.gif:

#1 has a monster lead. We'll need to save #3 though - that'll be an excellent suggestion for a switch in the industrial era.

@ Octavian - could you edit the poll post to add the poll close date?

I like proposal 1 in peace time but don't like the cut out so I dont know what to vote for. Cant we combine 2 different flags (eg. Proposal 1a with another flag)?

Shaitan, unless you added a closing date, there isn't one. I figure once discussion peters out, everybody will have had their say. I will set a tentative closing date for until the end of the month. Whichever is winning by them will be proclaimed the new flag.

Look in the constitution for bindng polls: 48 hours or quorum reached, whichever comes last ;-)
This is the standard i think.

48 hours is the minimum but the maximum can be whatever the pollsetter wishes. End of the month is perfectly legitimate (and a good closure date IMHO), just put it in the poll post so it's official and everyone can see it.

NONE!!! They all have elements that are VERY similar, if not identical, to Nazi German symbols. No offence to Octavian, but let's be more orginal, or better yet, wait until we haev a better idea of local terrain. National flags have meaning that are normally traced back to the countries origins.
If we MUST choose a flag now, not these. No Nazi elements!

Myarar, are you suggesting that the symbols of current, democratic Germany shouldn't be used. Yes, the Nazis did used these symbols, but that's no reason to reject these flags.

By the way, I only designed number 2. There is a link to the discussion that led to this poll.

Can someone please run a brief history post for Myatar and tell him of the origins of the Iron Cross?

The cross was the symbol used by the regular army. The nazi's used the swastika, a bastardization of a very old indo-european symbol. The cross was used since the time of the Teutonic Knights and continues to be used today. It is not a nazi symbol, it is just a recognizable symbol used by the same country.

In fact, the first time the Medal was initiated was in Prussia. The year was 1813 and was done by King Friedrich Wilheim III. This was during the The War of Liberation, which was during Napoleon's time. And that's just the medal. This does not include info on the symbol or icon or theory of the Iron Cross.

Here is a link: Iron Cross :goodjob:

I hate the miss-conception that the Iron Cross is related to the Swastica... there's NO relation between the two except that they were both used by the Germans at points in their History to Represent their Nation or Government.

The Iron Cross is a National, Cultural Symobl.

The Swastica is a Political symbol... if any of these flags had a Swastica I WOULD be upset... but the Iron Cross is different.

The German Armed forces used it before WWII (ie. WWI), and use it now. If I'm not mistaken Germans now have an aversion to the Swastica (as most of the world) but they still use the Iron Cross as a National Symbol.

In Fact, Proposal 4 is an adaption of part of a WWI Naval Flag Design.

While I didn't know the Iron Cross was around so long before and after the war, I still oppose it b/c it was a badge of honor for Nazi troops, and the just the sight of it rouses anger in me, as if you couldn't tell by my last post. But I'll drop this arguement, which if you debated w/ me in the last game, you know doesn't happen much.

I still oppose all the flags b/c it's too soon and the German cultural elements in it. Why so unoriginal w/ putting actual German elements? Are we Germany or Fantika? Last I checked, we were the latter. While we're useing the Germans as our... tools to play the game, our nation is NOT Germany. A flag is a sign of national identification and our nation doesn't have any thing to identify with yet. To put it plainly, we really don't have an idenitty, so how can we have something to idenitfy us? While that may not make sense to anyone else, makes sense to me! ;)

I'm sorry I could take part in the original discussion, but I just think we should wait until at least after the first few turns and use something in our geographic area as an identifyer.

@Myartar - If you remember, my original suggestion had nothing to do with Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom