• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

deity

Shogoth

Chieftain
actually i wanted to start this thread since two weeks, but since i wanted to put in a starting location by which one can win it had to wait....:D
so now it started in the same time as the new contest, but I think the contest doesn't take too much time anyway.

the idea is to compare the different styles of play in order to improve the personal performance in deity.
so i'll add a starting location and i hope somebody will try it (as far as i know txurce is playing deity?)

with this map it's the first time i've won on a medium map, and it was a hell of a game.
the starting location is quite good: a continent for you alone with about 5x dyes but no others and most of the ressources will pop up later.
especially difficult in this game was that for a long time i had contact to only 2 civs, so somebody built hoover while i was in the beginning of the middleages!
later there were some wars on my continent with mechinf, whereas my cities were still defended by hoplites :(
fortunately the war was not against me!
and the ai's took their time to go for ac, the russians just started shortly before my apollo program was build, and i was able to send 4 transports full of ma & mi in order to raze moscau if necessary (i would have won, I tried it after the win).
So the spaceship took of 1710, which is amazingly late for deity!
the only category where i was first was production, and it endet with 3979 points.

Here are the settings:

medium map, continents 80% water, wet, raging, preserve random seed on, greeks.

happy civving and good luck!

ps: i would be happy to try out other sucessfull starting locations, if anybody has a save....

I only just started playing deity. I won my fourth start, and look pretty good on my fifth. However, all these wins are domination, with the space option turned off. (The trick in these games is to duck for several thousand years, buy tech from the AI, catch up, build up, and kick butt. It's not that hard, from this perspective.) What I would find particularly hard to do is win the space race - in my first game, the Aztecs launched in 1500.

That said, I will give this a whirl after I finish my own deity game, probably in tandem with Buddhabubba's upcoming game.

I don't have a save of the start of my first win, but I do have one of the game I'm playing now... as well as a "scenario" version of the same game, starting in 1650AD, which is about when my nine-city civ was finally ready to motor. If the criterion is "if I win," then I'll post it at the time (if ever).

I downloaded. But when I loaded this SAV file, my civ3 could not open it.

How are the others doing?

Originally posted by Pigumon
I downloaded. But when I loaded this SAV file, my civ3 could not open it.

How are the others doing?

Rename it .sav if it is .php, then it'll work.

i just tried to download and everything worked fine.... are you shure you have v1.21g? and just save it to the desktop after downloading, this should work!

hey, three people are going to try out this game, great!

as txurce allready mentioned, the most rewarding (only possible?) strategy on deity level is to make a rush early on to conquer land, then developing your civ until you can catch up around middle of industrialisation or even never (as in this game).
but even if a way back in research i had the biggest production capacity at the end, so i guess after razing moskau and their spaceship i could have won by conquest. ususally if you make it to industrialisation and nobody wins by un/spaceship, you can conquer the world.

in this game there are mainly 3 continents, so the civs kept keeping war among themselves and let me and ac alone :lol:
once I was shocked by the declaration of russia that they had produced a first part and 8 other parts were in production! this was the time when i developed my "raze moskau" option leaving my continent basically defenseless in case of a middle invasion. but fortunately enough the aztecs declared war on russia and they stopped the production of six parts....:D

oh, i forgot:

it would be nice if you could write when you changed government, when you hit which age, when you got contacts and what you got by reparation, this would be great!
unfortunately i made peace with the americans, getting enough techs to enter the middleages, but some turns later they made contact with the other civs and i needed several hundred years to get the contacts resulting in low tech research...

unfortunately this time i didn't make notes, but i have a couple of savegames that i'll keep and check if somebody posts notes.

Shogoth, I've tried to save your deity game twice now, and it won't open. I have no problem opening Buddhabubba's games. Given that Pigumon couldn't open it either, you may want to try posting it again.

how strange, i downloaded and opened it again?
when i start downloading a window opens "unhandled file blablabla" and i changed .php to .sav and saved it to the desktop, it worked !?!

i have no idea why it doesn't work with you, here's the next try:

I get the ".php" stuff when downloading PC files, and convert them to ".sav" files. I don't do this when downloading Mac games like Buddhabubba's, which - like yours - download directly as ".sav' files.

With that as a preface, I saved your second attachment, which automatically placed itself inm my scenarios folder, as do all my downloads. When I tried to load the file, however, I got the same error message. I'm posting it here, as it's unusual, and maybe someone can figure out what's going on.

Has anyone else successfully opened Shogoth's deity game?

If the new 250-size attachment sizes make the text too hard to read, it says:

"Macintosh HD\Desktop Folder\Documents\Civ3\CivilizationIII\ Scenarios\ attachment.sav"

:cry: :( :confused: :mad: :eek: :crazyeye: :mad: :cry: :confused:

i have no idea what's going on! just after uploading I downloaded and it worked.

one thing i remember is that i could upload it as a .sav file which i thought doesn't work, but it did.

and civ says its 1.21G...

heeeeelllllppppppppppp, pleeeeeaaaaassee !!!!!!!!

Yea, I downloaded it, changed .php to .sav, and it opened with no problems. I've got about six cities w/ America encroaching from the north. Shall I skirmish w/ the gringos?

yeeeeaaaahhhh :) :D ;) :rolleyes: :king: :love: :love: :love:

i still don't know what the prob is but at least dojoboy can download i and play it.

and of course, chase those invaders away!
don't forget to make peace, get reparations and attack again :goodjob:

good luck!

I downloaded and played for a while. It is most disconcerting to have the AI popping Wonders all over the place! I have five cities and am about to be smeared by the Iroquois who have just got Replaceable Parts, whilst I am not even at Monarchy.

C'est la guerre, mais ce n'est pas la gare (I'd need Steam Power!)

Sid

ah, another one where the download works :love:

that the ai gets far ahead in the techrace is normal, especially with only 5 cities! and yeah, the ai building wonder after wonder is quite unsettling! by the time i had a leader all possible wonders were allready build, but the fp was also nice, of course!

how did you play?
i managed to colonize the whole southern hemisphere and took the northern from the americans, leaving one iroquis city.
then i made a builder game, democracy was very important for research!

good luck

My failure could be put down as 'over-committed conqueror'. I spent too much time on terrain improvement and building an army of Swordspeople. I thought that I'd go out and punish the Iroquois for encroaching on what I considered should be my territory. Just as I was launching my attack they upgraded all their Spearfolks to Riflenerds. Then as I reached their territory, a bunch of Infantry appeared! My impressive army were dust and I capitulated [ESC + ENTER ;-)]

i'm sorry for your defeat, deity really can make you humble...

if i understand you right you tried to attack the iroquois on their homeisland?
something like this just doesn't work on deity, not until modern times. the production bonus is just too much...

if you didn't conquer your island you certainely lost too much time. one deity i build a barracks and a temple (4 to 5 cities) and then i take what i need (get;) ) and then i start to make libs, aquaducts and so on.
the ai is just too fast in tech research to wait longer, as you had to experience.

both ways you waited too long

Top Bottom