• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Judicial Branch Debates

eyrei

Deity
Retired Moderator
This is the debate thread for judicial candidates. Here are the questions:

A two part question, answer briefly please: How do you feel about turn-chats and is your position that they should continue as is, or do you favor the concept of private/closed door turn sessions by the DP?

What qualifications and experience do you have for the position you are running for?

If you are given the chance to name a city, what would you name it?

Are you familliar with all of our laws?
Do you abide by them?

Question for younger candidates: Hypothetical Situation - You totally fail a math test. You realize that this effects your grade in a big way. Which would you do? A- Study harder, even if it meant loosing forum time; or B- Let your grades plummet and continue on with the demogame.

How do you stand to the proposal of having very small provinces at the start to get to about 10 governors quick and then redesign the provincial borders for having a solid number of about 10 governors throughout most of the game? (formerly known as the "Provincial Growth Formula")

Explain in one sentence why the citizens should vote for you instead of your opponents.

If you were in the role of Judge Advocate or Public Defender, and you found that your personal views conflicted with those responsibilities of your job, (for example, defending someone you feel is guilty), how would you deal with that?

Do you feel it is the Judiciary's responsibility, or right, to create new laws out of existing legislation?

What do you feel the role of the Judiciary should be in the Demo Game?

Will you be available at the turnchats for judical questions and poll-related questioning?

Bill_in_PDX debate submission
Candidate for Chief Justice

A two part question, answer briefly please: How do you feel about turn-chats and is your position that they should continue as is, or do you favor the concept of private/closed door turn sessions by the DP?

--While I am unable to attend chat myself as currently scheduled, I have come to acknowledge that this part of our game is a very important component to many. I feel that chat should continue, with reasonable boundaries in place to prevent a small group of chatters from overriding the will of all the populace expressed via the forums.

What qualifications and experience do you have for the position you are running for?

--I am the current Chief Justice, holding the position for the past term. Prior to that, I severed several terms as Judge Advocate.

I have more time on the bench than any other citizen. In my time of service to our nation, I have been faced with a myriad of reviews and decisions, and have the experience necessary to deal with it.

--New PDX

Do you abide by them?

--I am extremely familiar with the laws of our nation. I abide by them as well, and if found wrong on an issue, I say so publically.

Question for younger candidates: Hypothetical Situation - You totally fail a math test. You realize that this effects your grade in a big way. Which would you do? A- Study harder, even if it meant loosing forum time; or B- Let your grades plummet and continue on with the demogame.

--I think we all have conflicts with life and the demo game, so no matter if it is a math test for some, or a new facility opening for me, I am 38, then the real underlying question here is commitment to the game.

Everyone should devote their priorities in life to those they love and their RL responsibilities. Beyond that, no committment should be made to the citizens of Fanatika unless you can back it up. There is nothing worse than abandonded posts.

I feel my committment to this game has been a demonstrated consistent reliable performance.

How do you stand to the proposal of having very small provinces at the start to get to about 10 governors quick and then redesign the provincial borders for having a solid number of about 10 governors throughout most of the game? (formerly known as the "Provincial Growth Formula")

--I am in favor of the current proposal known as the Capital Province by FortyJ. This would layout an initial four provinces.

Explain in one sentence why the citizens should vote for you instead of your opponents.

--I want folks to vote for me because they like that I have experience in this office, that I have demonstrated a good understanding of the rules with fair application, and have performed my duties impartially and without agenda.

If you were in the role of Judge Advocate or Public Defender, and you found that your personal views conflicted with those responsibilities of your job, (for example, defending someone you feel is guilty), how would you deal with that?

--I wrote this question for the inquisitors and feel it is important. A few terms ago, a PI was held in which I was in the position of prosecuting someone whose opinion I value greatly. Nevertheless it was my job as JA to present the government's case and win a conviction.

That's the key in the judiciary. Sometimes you have to put aside your own opinion on a issue and say: is this constitutional? If so, even if you disagree with the concept, you have to be willing to fulfill you duties.

Do you feel it is the Judiciary's responsibility, or right, to create new laws out of existing legislation?

--No. I think it is the Judiciary's responsibility to clarify rules and laws, but not to cross the line and do the job that is rightly held by the citizens (congress).

--I think the judiciary plays a key role in the balance of power in our government. They should also be a repository of information and answers to questions. They should never been seen as some kind of power hording group.

Will you be available at the turnchats for judical questions and poll-related questioning?

--Generally I am unavailable to attend turn chat, although I have attended the last three. I think that having a judiciary member attend could be helpful, however, the judiciary as a whole has to vote on issues for it to become policy, and thus, a ruling on a law at chat would not be valid.

Bill
Chief Justice
Candidate for Chief Justice of Fanatika

naervod's submission
Candidate for Judge Advocate

--I have pretty much the same stance as Bill on this one. I beleive that the turn-chat is an extremely important part of the game to many players. I think the chat should continue but with boundaries to prevent small groups of people from overriding what has been decided in the forum.

--I am relatively new to this game and haven't held any office before. However, I have read lots about the Judicial system in real life and here and have studied our Consitution, Code of Laws, and Code of Standards througly and am pariticpating in the Civ 2 demogame.

--Naerva

Do you abide by them?

I am extremely familiar with our laws. I have read over numerous court cases and studied up on the Constitution and Code of Laws. I strictly abide by these laws and have not had any charges brought against me yet.

-- Althought the demogame is very inportant, I beleive our real life priorities are more important for this reason: If you study hard and get good grades, the n you will have more forum time. However I get good grades and don't plan on faling any time soon ;) .

--I am against this. I believe with more governors, we will have less control and more people will neglect their duties. It would be better if there were 5 or 6 governors and 1 or 2 of them failed to post build queues and the mayors could easily come in and post queues rather than if there were ten governors and four of the forgot to post queue's and you have to contact alot of people because the governors failed to do their job. I also think it would be more organized with less governors because there would be fewer pronvinces and governors to keep track of.

I think people should vote for me because of my through understanding of the rules and the amount of time I devote each day. I also think they should vote for me because I can do an excellent job upholding the laws of Fanatika.

-- I would do what is needed for the job. I believe that in this case you should do what is right for the laws and for Fanatika, not for your own personal feelings. I think during a Judiciary term that a pesron should set aside their opinions and feelings and do what is best for Fanatika.

-- Definitely not. I believe it is the Judiciary's job to interpret and rule on the laws of Fanatika

-- I feel the Judiciary is a balance inthe government as well as an informatory body and interperter of the laws. They bring justice to Fanatika and stop violations of the Constitution, Code of Laws, and Code of Standards.

--I will not be available on weekday turn-chats. However I will make most of the weekend chats because soccer is over after today. I also feel that a judiciary member should be at the turn-chat, and two if possible. If only one is there he can be asked his interpertation fo the law and not make any decisions.

Thank you.
Naervod
Citizen of Fanatika
Candidate for Judge Advocate.

FortyJ's Debate Responses
Candidate for Chief Justice

The Turn Chats are a vital part of the demo game. They not only serve as an exciting venue for all citizens to meet and participate in the actual playing of the game, but also as a means of ensuring that our elected leaders act in best interest of the citizenry.

I am currently the head of the Cartographic Office of Fanatika and have taken an active role in assisting the Domestic Department with the creation of discussion threads and informational polls.

Huntington

Do you abide by them?

I have read the laws in their entirety and have become quite familiar with them. I strive to always abide by the law in thoughts, words and deeds, in the demo game and in real life.

Question for younger candidates: Hypothetical Situation - You totally fail a math test. You realize that this effects your grade in a big way. Which would you do? A- Study harder, even if it meant loosing[sic] forum time; or B- Let your grades plummet and continue on with the demogame.

This question should really be changed to something more general so that it applies to us "older" citizens as well...

What this question is really asking is - will my real-life commitments interfere with my demo game obligations? My first priority (as I'm sure is everyone else's) is to my family and my other real-life obligations. However, I believe that my recent level of participation has demonstrated my ability to take part in the demo game while fulfilling my real-life obligations.

I believe that provincial borders should be established according to the surrounding geographical terrain and should be established as early as possible. Of course, there must be allowances for small changes to these borders in the early game as more potential boundaries are revealed to us, but I am opposed to the idea of constantly growing provinces.

I am dedicated to the demo game and I will bring a fresh look at the rules and their interpretation.

Throughout life, we are often faced with such decisions - choosing between what we want and what is right. In this situation, the citizens would have entrusted me to perform a duty, and I must perform that duty to the best of my abilities. To do otherwise would betray not only the citizens of Fanatika, but myself as well.

As I understand it, the responsibility of Judiciary is to interpret the laws that we have, not create new laws.

Not only does the Judiciary assist our leaders and citizens with the interpretation of the laws, it also serves to maintain the balance between the two.

I always try to be available for at least part of the turn chats, and if I'm available, I'd be happy to assist in the clarification of an existing ruling. However, I feel that new rulings should not be made in the midst of a turn chat, but rather in the forums where they can be discussed between and decided by all three members of the Judiciary.

Edit: Added Candidacy information...

Top Bottom