New Unit (?): A Riderless Horse

Kryten

Smeee heeeeed

Attachments

• preview riderless horse.gif
    preview riderless horse.gif
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,079
....I also have an ulterior motive for posting this unit. ;)

By using this "Riderless Horse"....or indeed Dark Sheers Horse....you could very easily paste just about any foot figure on it's back to create new mounted units! :D
(Come on all you budding cut-'n-pasters, just think what you could do!)

Attachments

• using new horses.gif
    using new horses.gif
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,624
oh my god, i see an early knight, a wagon and a dragoon. These 3 units should defently be completed.

Actually, they are:-

*A mounted Civ3 Swordsman (Barbarian Horseman?)
*A towed wagon (supply or settlers wagon?)
*A mounted Civ3 Legionary (Imperial Roman Auxiliary Horseman?)
*A towed Civ3 Cannon (Horse Artillery?)
*A mounted Civ3 Musketman (16th century Spanish Caracole?)

....and no, I've got too much to do as it is! :crazyeye:

well i could see what graphics they were, i was saying what i would use them as.

I've used the cut and paste to make a few units such as my tribal warrior. Love that technique!
If only I could find a wagon though...

Originally posted by Yaniv
If only I could find a wagon though...

Well Yaniv, what I did was use an old Civ2 icon (from a compiled set by Harlan Thompson, but I don't know who the original creator was), and enlarged it by 50%.

I used the Cannon as the source for the large back wheel, and the Civ3 War Chariot for the smaller front wheel (although it looks just as good with both wheels the same size), then I pasted it on to the War Chariot storyboard, as that seems to have just the right palette.

To get the NE direction, all you would have to do is reverse the positions of the large and small wheel, then just put the horse in front of the small wheel.
Most of the other directions can simply be 'mirrored'. :)

If you are interested, I've posted the few bits & pieces that I have below.
Do you fancy giving it a try?

("Well done Kryten. One down, four to go!" :lol: )

Attachments

• settler wagon bits.zip
    12.5 KB · Views: 234
I see much potential in this. Looks great. Cant wait for the units that will come of this.

My friend made the point that he wants dragoons back in the game, or some type of mounted unit with a sabre and backup pistol. I cant find a decent animation for it yet. :D

GIDustin

Any chance you have a camel up your sleeve?

And is there any chance you've got a cut-n-paste tutorial up the other sleeve?

And... is there hope that you have some theory (up your pants cuff) as to how a supply wagon unit might be implemented in the game?

I'm afraid that the answers to your questions Redking are mostly in the negative:-

No
Yes
No

I have lots of other projects at the moment, so a "Riderless Camel" will have to wait for these to be finished first.

Here is a link to a 'cut-'n-paste' tutorial....
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=29026

And I have no idea how "Supply Wagons" could be made to work in the game, except as a substitute for Settlers.
In a scenario they might have a use.....Napoleon's invasion of Russia for example could use suppy wagon animations for King graphics, or workers could be renamed and have a supply wagon as part of their animation (so visually you would see a 'line' of these behind Napoleon's army as new roads and terrain improvements are built in the newly captured territories).....
....but that's about all I can think of. :(

Later Edit: More thoughts....
If the AI understood what land transport was all about, then wagons could be used to carry slow moving foot units....but this is not possible at the moment.
Or if we could give these wagons the "Radar Tower's" attack & defence bonuses, then armies with supply wagons would fight better than those armies without them, and so would be a vitally important unit (as indeed they were in reality).....but this is also not possible at the moment.

Come on!

Let's get these Dragoons, Auxilaries and Barb sword horses going!

What brilliant idea!

Kryten, the genius droid,
you deserve a public service medal for Civ coolness!

:goodjob:

Originally posted by CurtSibling

Kryten, the genius droid,
you deserve a public service medal for Civ coolness!

:goodjob:

I totally agree! Kryten is one of the nicest, kindest, most helpful unit creators here at Civfanantics (ok, you too, Darksheer ;) ).
:D

Originally posted by Kryten
Do you fancy giving it a try?

I fancy to give this riderless horse a try, prehaps not with the wagon though. I should have some spare time this weekend. Hopefully I'll get a unit done. Stay tuned.

The horse pulling the cannon rocks!

Top Bottom