• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Is the AI dumber than I think???

MTheil3508

Prince

Is it just me, or is the AI getting smarter in some aspects like warfare, but just plain stupid during negotiations?

In the picture (sorry its kinda big), the Germans won't trade me 10 gold for 50 gold. THEY would be making 40 gold.:crazyeye: I have noticed the same thing for 20 gold and 1 gpt deals.

Has anyone else seen this?

Yes, it's well documented. I believe it's because some players were using it for an exploit of some kind, although I'm too dumb to know what that was.

:lol: flat cash for per turn, sure they won't take it if you're not trustworthy, and it is a known 'bug' that adding 1 gpt to an acceptable deal will make them go insulted, but this really takes the cake :lol:

Is your reputation trashed in that game? Sometimes if you have a really horrible reputation, the AI is very reluctant to make ANY kind of deals with you.

You can't trade a lump sum for a lump sum, nor a p/t for a p/t in the same way you can't trade cities.

Originally posted by RX2000
Is your reputation trashed in that game? Sometimes if you have a really horrible reputation, the AI is very reluctant to make ANY kind of deals with you.

My rep is great, plus I have started a new game and checked it again: they just won't trade.

For instance: In the pic above, I started a new game as the Celts, only 200 turns into the game. Never made any treaties, only traded techs twice during the game, whatever the AI wanted. This is my first encounter with the Germans in this game.

They AI has definately gotten smarter with PTW 1.14, I ran a thread on it a while ago, I mentioned some things I have seen that I never seen before, but what happened today takes the cake. I am germany accross an english like channel with korea. I have one city on a penisula on his land, the AI didn't attack me last turn, what he did was move his units all around and up and down the city so I can not land a transport anywhere but IN the city, I wont do that cuz he has got a big enough force to take it, pretty smart for a dumb machine huh? :)

I just did a little test in a couple of games I had saves from (different ages). There's wasn't ANY deal with lump sums of gold on both ends in which the AI approved it. Even peace offers to civs with one city left were rejected when I decided to add 1 gold extra.

This is hardly a stupid action from the AI. Just a design choice by Firaxis... I can live with it, because these kind of offers are stupid anyway.

It's a different story regarding gold to gold-per-trun deals. These loans are acceptable for the AI if your reputation is good enough.

EDIT: reading the thread I notice that I'm not the first to come with this. I hope it helps some of the others to convince them it's designed like this.

I know it is designed like that, just you think they would make an exeption if the AI was going to make out on the deal.

If you asked me to give you change for a dollar, and I gladly gave you 5 quarters, wouldn't you take it (excluding laws)?

Originally posted by MTheil3508
I know it is designed like that, just you think they would make an exeption if the AI was going to make out on the deal.

If you asked me to give you change for a dollar, and I gladly gave you 5 quarters, wouldn't you take it (excluding laws)?

Yes, but I'm human and able to give meaning to things. The AI in CIV is programmed to behave a certain way.

To include this in the game (and a lot of other flaws in AI behaviour), the game would be more complex to build. There's always a point in the design were you have to decide on costs vs benefits.

I would say that if anyone is dumb here, its MTheil3508. Not only does he want to give the AI 40 gold, but he cannot even figure out of to do it. ;)

Joking aside. There's not really much point to such a test. It is impossible with finite resources to get the AI to behave like a human, and there is absolutely no reason for the AI to accept gold-gold trades, so adding "smart" behaviour here would just be a waste of Firaxis' time.

At first I thought that TUHO had struck again, but then I read the joking part...

This is an OT post directly to TNO, I PMed you a question regarding flips (where you got D=2000, and if this is current to PTW) that I also posted in a thread. Could you check your PMs or the 'flip limit' thread in the S&T forum? That would be very nice indeed.

Top Bottom